Arghhhhhhh!

pinata

Ok, so I was pretty much given a job in a card shop, on a platter, for which I was very grateful. I haven't started yet but I just had "training" which was basically just a health and safety talk and some other crap. For these past few weeks it's like I never had depression, and I've hardly felt like I have anxiety at all, I've been talking quite a bit in uni seminars (with the help of some pills that stop me from shaking like crazy so I feel more relaxed about talking in class).

But today has just thrown me off completely. It's only a small shop, intimate you know. During this training I was with three other people, none of whom will be sales assisstants like me. They're all so LOUD and confident. Not to mention annoying. I feel so ****ing out of place, I am kind of hating on the manager. As soon as I walked in I was like right I have to act confident and be talkative though I'm not in the mood for small talk at all and I feel so awkward. And I thought I was doing a good job. But then the manager was like "You're so quiet, we have to make you open up a bit!" And they were all laughing at me. And I wasn't in the mood at all and when someone points that out I just withdraw more into myself so couldn't really manage to laugh at myself. It just made me more concious of how I was acting and everything. Anyway, there was a guy there training to be an assisstant manager and he seemed ok at first but then he was like "You're a quiet one aren't you!" And it's like what do I say to that?? When the manager was showing us how to use the fire extinguisher she was making all these innuendoes and being rude and it's so awkward, I didn't find it funny and even less so as I can't just act like a bunch of people I just met, who are also considerably older than me, are my friends that I can just joke with. I'd prefer it if they were a bit more proffessional, then I wouldn't feel like I was being quite so awkward.

Anyway, the manager kept on asking if we had any questions so I asked some random stuff but one time she asked again and I was making notes and I thought I'd only need to speak if it's an affirmative answer but I saw in the corner of my eye she made a gesture to the training manager and I looked up and they were looking at me so I was like no I haven't got anything to ask, that's fine. And they were obviously thinking why didn't she speak?? And later she goes again, you're so pure and quiet, we have to change you! And I feel like arghhh it's honestly going to be hell, I hate it and I haven't started, and this isn't even considering the fact I have to use the till and the phone and I want to cry.

Also, the manager and a random customer were bantering. The customer was saying she has a nice butt and she looks nice. Then the customer looks at me and is like "You see this girl, she's slim.. men wouldn't fancy her." And she looks at the manager "Loads of men would fancy YOU because you're curvy." I'm lanky, 5ft 11 with small boobs.. I've always been made fun of for it. But this honestly made me want to cry.. I felt like breaking down in tears right then like how rude! Lately I've been trying to accept I can't change the way I look, I've always been a bit more ok with my body than I am about my face.. Now it's just all gone downhill again! I feel like such a joke, guys laughed at me on the way home, I feel like I must be so unattractive. I can't make myself have bigger boobs, I can't wish myself shorter.. What the ****!!!

Silatuyok

Goodness. That sounds so awful. I probably would have walked out of there, midday, and said F*** it, lol.
BUT, even though I think they were being very crass and annoying, I think you should give it at least a couple of weeks to see if you settle in. It has taken me four months to finally feel like I am starting to fit in at work.
Be sure to keep us updated.

pinata

Thankyou :] When they kept on saying I was quiet I honestly just wanted to run away, it reminded me of what I hated at the charity shop I used to work at.. I was honestly gonna get my things and run but I can't keep avoiding things, and my mum would be disappointed. Thanks for reading :D

Section_31

jeez, sorry to hear that Pinata. not very appropriate for the workplace i wouldnt think.

Im sorry this happened to you :(

pinata

Nah it's not Clintons lol. I am really dreading starting there.. So many people act like being "quiet" is a disease they have to cure you of. They need an antidote for their rudeness urghhh! But thanks guys ^.^

Ms Cloud

I'm lanky, 5ft 11 with small boobs.. I've always been made fun of for it. But this honestly made me want to cry.. I felt like breaking down in tears right then like how rude! Lately I've been trying to accept I can't change the way I look, I've always been a bit more ok with my body than I am about my face.. Now it's just all gone downhill again! I feel like such a joke, guys laughed at me on the way home, I feel like I must be so unattractive. I can't make myself have bigger boobs, I can't wish myself shorter.. What the ****!!!
You sound like a runway model. Nothing wrong with that.

Phoenixx

Sorry to hear about that, Pinata. :( I also hate being reminded of how "quiet" I am. It makes me extremely uncomfortable and shut myself in even more. Try not to let them get to you. Especially that customer, how ignorant! Everybody's different, and there's nothing wrong with being 5' 11" and lanky. Actually I would love to be tall. I'm only 5' 0", let's switch heights shall we? ::p:

As far as your job goes, I agree with Marie to give it a couple more weeks, see if you settle in. Hopefully by then it won't be so bad at all. :)

coyote

i manage a store

i need my employees to be open and friendly with customers and their fellow employees

but no one around here would act like the people you describe

very unprofessional and rude

MikeyC

Also, the manager and a random customer were bantering. The customer was saying she has a nice butt and she looks nice. Then the customer looks at me and is like "You see this girl, she's slim.. men wouldn't fancy her." And she looks at the manager "Loads of men would fancy YOU because you're curvy." I'm lanky, 5ft 11 with small boobs.. I've always been made fun of for it. But this honestly made me want to cry.. I felt like breaking down in tears right then like how rude! Lately I've been trying to accept I can't change the way I look, I've always been a bit more ok with my body than I am about my face.. Now it's just all gone downhill again! I feel like such a joke, guys laughed at me on the way home, I feel like I must be so unattractive. I can't make myself have bigger boobs, I can't wish myself shorter.. What the ****!!!
That...that's one of the rudest things I've ever heard! What kind of customer, who doesn't even know you, would insult you like that right in front of you? I don't blame you for wanting to cry, because that's ridiculously rude. I'm so sorry you had to go through that.

Can you explain to your manager that you're anxious in general and you don't like the attention you're getting? It might be a tough conversation, but it might lead to better things in the future.

Besides, you sound beautiful.

pinata

Thanks again everyone, I feel like crying again but this time it's because of the lovely people on this forum lol.

I am friendly and polite to people, I can't make myself talk for the sake of talking.. I am respectful towards the manager and everything. She's so in your face though, I could never tell her I have anxiety. I think she expects quite a lot from me as well, I feel like me being quiet would mean I'll be out a job soon! I can't join in with their sexual innuendoes and everything like I've been there for years. Surely there's nothing wrong with being quiet.. Oh well! At least I won't be there forever :]

Oh and the customer sort of made that comment like she was just talking about the weather, I don't know if she realised how rude she was being, but what the hell..

pinata

Sorry to bring this up again, but I posted a question asking for help about this on Yahoo, and somebody said that I should avoid all jobs where you have to interact with customers and do something where I work alone. But is that really the case? I feel like I am going to lose my job already though I haven't started, and I am dreading the call from the manager telling me when she wants me in. Should I really hide away and work by myself? One of my career ideas was to be a teacher, but it feels like I won't have a hope in hell of doing that.

Little Miss Muffet

Ive had people say to me:" you're a quiet one arent you" how is this supposed to help someone like us. It just draws more attention to us. It makes me feel pressure to suddenly become an extrovert but if I dont feel it there and then then its impossible, if i feel pressured i just make an idiot of myself. Hope things get better x

Looking_in105

i hate when people make those kinds of quiet related comments to me. However I think *most* of the time they don't intend to be hurtful; they just don't know how to act around quiet people. they probably feel awkward themselves and are just trying to make conversation the best way they know how.

Sartana

Sorry to bring this up again, but I posted a question asking for help about this on Yahoo, and somebody said that I should avoid all jobs where you have to interact with customers and do something where I work alone. But is that really the case? I feel like I am going to lose my job already though I haven't started, and I am dreading the call from the manager telling me when she wants me in. Should I really hide away and work by myself? One of my career ideas was to be a teacher, but it feels like I won't have a hope in hell of doing that.

I wouldn't listen to that personally. Maybe the place you're currently at is wrong for you, but you never want to take a job where you have to hide away and make yourself worse.

pinata

Yeah, I think these people have just made me feel awkward already and didn't act proffesionally and put me on the spot, so I'm dreading going there as I also have to worry about customer service and they put stress on being loud and caring about the customer etc, when I think an employee who is quiet can still deliver good customer service.. but they treat being quiet like a bad thing.

And yeah, I agree that they might not mean any harm (but I still do get a bad vibe from the manager and assisstant manager), but that makes me feel more awkward the fact that I could make them feel awkward lol.. I feel worse for the people I'm making feel awkward than I do for myself! And yes, everyone treats being loud as like the ideal thing, but a lot of loud people aren't actually SAYING anything, they just talk for the hell of it, which might be fine but it irks me personally lol.

Cheers again everyone.

Pookah

I don't understand why people can't allow other people to be different. It would be boring if everyone was the same. Why do we have to be louder/quieter to just suit some stranger's preference?

pinata

I know. I keep thinking to myself, am I an introvert or an extrovert, and does it really matter?? I feel like I should try really hard to be loud because people think it's weird to be quiet, but if no one reminded me that I'm quiet and acted like it was such a negative thing, I wouldn't care to change..