Are you a "what If," thinker?

planetweirdo

is there anyone else that often worry about bad things that can possibly happen in the future, even if there is no evidence that the bad thing will happen. But you just dwell on what if it happens?

What if my plans go horribly wrong?

What if something that is suppose to work don't workout right?

What if I meet someone new that will hate me?

What if I have a panic attack?

What if we get attacked by terrorist?

what if there's a global pandemic?

etc.

Yes I do.
My brain thinks that if I can play out the whole scenario actually happening in my brain and organize what I will do in response to it, then I will at least be "prepared" for it "if" it happens.
Spend and waste a lot of emotions and personal time doing this though.:kickingmyself:

Kiwong

My mind is like one big soap opera and court room drama script. In April this year my fears where what if, bordering on paranoia. None of it was real. People who said hello, that I didn't know, I thought were out to get me. Irrational fears so frightening I couldn't sleep.

WeirdyMcGee

Yup.
What if that person is glaring at me?
What if they sneak up behind me?
What if they want to hurt me?

Whenever I'm in public; it's all that's on my mind just replaying over and over again.
In private, it's more like:
What if I hear a noise and it's someone breaking in...?
What if they come up the stairs to kill me?
What if I'm asleep and don't hear them?!

Lavinialuna

Yep, not only for me but for my children. I used to drop my daughter off at daycare (when I worked) and be crying by the time I got to work thinking "I'm going to get in a crash and die, and she will see in my coffin and cry 'Mama!' and not understand why I won't get up." I still do it, but not as badly as I used to. I have been worried more recently about the Ebola virus and terrorist attacks (of course among other less menacing worries about people rejecting me, etc.)

MikeyC

Yes I do.
My brain thinks that if I can play out the whole scenario actually happening in my brain and organize what I will do in response to it, then I will at least be "prepared" for it "if" it happens.
Spend and waste a lot of emotions and personal time doing this though.:kickingmyself:
Same here, although I'm getting better at not letting it get to me too badly.

Can you change the way you approach these thoughts, so you don't use up too much energy thinking about hypothetical situations?

I have been worried more recently about the Ebola virus and terrorist attacks
Media sensationalist bullcrap. Don't even waste one second thinking about these things!

MotherWolff

Banned
is there anyone else that often worry about bad things that can possibly happen in the future, even if there is no evidence that the bad thing will happen. But you just dwell on what if it happens?

What if my plans go horribly wrong?

What if something that is suppose to work don't workout right?

What if I meet someone new that will hate me?

What if we get attacked by terrorist?

what if there's a global pandemic?

etc.

Honey, I am the "What If" Queen. I what if myself all day everyday, even when I don't mean too. But its gotten better with meds like Lexapro combined with Risperidone.

It might help to speak to someone about your what if concerns. It doesn't have to necessarily be a therapist either. It can be someone you really trust or confide in.

Solo Dolo

Yes I do.

this is me.

williamreinsch

Yeah I think this is one of the major parts of SA
In my head its mostly:
What if I say something stupid?
What if they hate me?
What if there is an awkward silence?

I usually write these thoughts down and try to argue something more logical back to myself.

For example:

'What if they hate me?'

What if they like me too? I'm not going to do anything to offend them. All i know is it's going to be unexpected and I have no control over how they feel about me. I do however have control of how i feel about myself. Even if my anxiety gets in the way it's okay because I love, forgive and accept myself anyway.

Also have you tried applying EFT to these negative thoughts. It works for me very well and I try to use on all the negative thoughts that usually trigger my anxiety/panic attacks.

Hope this helps,
All the best to you brother and hope you get better soon :)

Argentum

Yep. It's one reason I tend to have major anxiety before things like interviews, meetings, etc. On the other hand, I'm usually prepared for pretty much everything...

monchy

Oh yeah, i am definitely a "what if" thinker. Every day, i create a whole horror movie in my head: "O my Gosh, what if I embarrass myself? What if something goes wrong?"
Then, I hate group activities because I'm always thinking someone will laugh to me. In the beginning, I thought it's just my shyness, but later I realise that i have social phobia or avoidant personality disorder (I'm not sure).
And people, I'm so glad because I found you. I thought I'm the only one :(

singing-love

This is me, for sure. But then I read something that really helped me.

"Doubt kills more dreams then failure ever will" along with "If you spend forever focusing on the 'What ifs' you'll miss the positives awaiting around every corner."

Then I learnt to counter my thoughts slowly, find a positive outcome for every negative one my mind could think of. It's hard at times but with a consistent effort I am sure I can get out of that "What If" mentality.

If I can do it, anyone can :).

Last edited:

Lavinialuna

I read an article once that said "What if thinking creates energy, it's like praying for what you don't want to happen." It may or may not be true, but I think of that if I get myself too deep into thought. It helped a little, but it's still a struggle.

PokerFace

Yes, I usually call it "obsession analysis". It is simply impossible to stop thinking about the "what if". I don't know how to stop. :idontknow: