Are our brains different?

froghat

I like people and would love to connect with someone and get married, but I simply hate actually comunicating with people. It's so difficult and awkward and it never improves. Practice doesn't make perfect. Something must be different about our brains. Just trying to look someone in the eyes is awkward and the things I stress out over are nutso. It's like the social part of my brain is scared to truely connect with another person. It's sad, but I will never be capable of falling in love due to this. My brain is just different... and not in a good way. How about you guys? Do you think your brain chemistry is stinky?

LazyHermitCrab

The longer you know someone your brain chemistry can eventually even out.. not completely, but I know what you mean. Anytime I first meet someone my brain is like partly frozen and some of melts later on if the person seems trustful

The longer you know someone your brain chemistry can eventually even out.. not completely, but I know what you mean. Anytime I first meet someone my brain is like partly frozen and some of melts later on if the person seems trustful

Sad thing is trust can be a rarity. Well with me anyway.

tweetebird

I actually read an article that says there is a difference in SA brains, specifically the oxytocin hormone, which is the hormone that helps people feel love, trust, and fuzzy wuzzies :p This causes a difference in reactions, as viewed in the brain in testing, to negative information about ourselves from an outside source. Oxytocin seems to lessen this reaction. There is a possibility of a oxytocin nasal spray being used to treat SA. *high hopes* Alternatively, oxytocin is a naturally occurring hormone that is released during *ahem* love sessions, but also from simple skin to skin contact of cuddles and hugs. I'm gonna start requesting more cuddling from my husband :)

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
I like people and would love to connect with someone and get married, but I simply hate actually comunicating with people. It's so difficult and awkward and it never improves. Practice doesn't make perfect. Something must be different about our brains. Just trying to look someone in the eyes is awkward and the things I stress out over are nutso. It's like the social part of my brain is scared to truely connect with another person. It's sad, but I will never be capable of falling in love due to this. My brain is just different... and not in a good way. How about you guys? Do you think your brain chemistry is stinky?

Serotonin, it always has to do with serotonin. "Why am I depressed?" serotonin imbalance. "Why do I have SA" serotonin "Why can't I communicate?" serotonin

Minty

I actually read an article that says there is a difference in SA brains, specifically the oxytocin hormone, which is the hormone that helps people feel love, trust, and fuzzy wuzzies :p This causes a difference in reactions, as viewed in the brain in testing, to negative information about ourselves from an outside source. Oxytocin seems to lessen this reaction. There is a possibility of a oxytocin nasal spray being used to treat SA. *high hopes* Alternatively, oxytocin is a naturally occurring hormone that is released during *ahem* love sessions, but also from simple skin to skin contact of cuddles and hugs. I'm gonna start requesting more cuddling from my husband :)

I heard that if you don't get enough contact with people (i.e. are low in oxytocin) you stay away from it as much as possible because it's overwhelming. I literally can't hug people. The feeling I get is really awkward and it's just...ew. My friends laugh at me because I tell them hugging is "ew". lol

So if that's why I have SA...well, it all makes sense, doesn't it? :)

-high hopes too-

N0D

Banned
Serotonin and oxytocin need to get their **** together, whoever else is slackin upstairs too.

Edit: Also, when I read that about a nose spray or whatnot the first thing that came to mind was Tony Montana burying his face in a mountain of powder, cause if I could sniff something and not be scared of people I would just wanna bury my face in it.

Last edited:

Aussie_Lad

I would say that there isn't a big difference between us and others. Communication relys very much on subconcious thoughts, but the subconcious relys on speed rather than accuracy. When you become aware that things that you are saying aren't accurate then we tell ourselves to put more concious thought into what we say. So with social phobes, when you start to speak to someone your subconcious lets the concious have more of a say, but the concious also has the ability to talk ourselves out of saying anything at all or to focus more on avoiding saying something that you may later regret. In order to be an effective communicator, there needs to be a better balance between the subconcious and concious thinking while in a social setting.

Kiwong

I think it is a combination of nature, and nuture.

I've always been sensitive, and as a result the impact of bullying, rejection has effected the way my emotions have developed.

I suspect if I hadn't been bullied at high school, my life may have been very different.

hoddesdon

Dopamine has not been mentioned, which is surprising. Either it is not present in sufficient quantities, or the relevant brain receptors do not work efficiently. Eating bananas, almonds, avocadoes, egg yolks and some other foods can help since they contain tyrosine, which is the precursor to dopamine. If you want to look into it then enter "food" and "dopamine" into Google.

R3K

to add a brain-related note to this thread... i saw a video about SAD that talked about a tempremental bias (hope i spelled that right), where they tested babies' reactions to unfamiliar objects. some babies seemed extremely frightened by the foreign objects and cried their asses off while other babies (presumably non-SAD babies) just ignored it and waited for someone to stick a baby bottle in their mouth.

they loosely attributed this tempremental bias to an instinctive, inherited inclination to recoil and respond negatively to almost every new, foreign thing that enters your senses. so obviously, seeing someone approaching you on the sidewalk would trigger this instinctive fear, combined with the possibilty that they might talk to you and... hello anxiety attack, yay!;)