Approached By A Shy Guy

Sinar_Matahari

My friend and I were approached by a self-proclaimed shy guy at the bar last night. He wasn't looking to hit on us, but he was looking for some company.
We had just arrived at the bar, and this young man comes up to us, noticeably shy and a bit nervous. He asked if we would care to join him for some drinks as he didn't want to drink alone so I told him that he was more than welcome to join us.

We all got to talking and one of the first things he mentioned was that he is shy and that it takes him a while to warm up to people. Also, he made it clear that he doesn't like to be in crowded areas or around too many people he doesn't know. He didn't make much eye contact and he was nervous and a bit awkward, but he was able to keep a conversation going and he's very smart from what I could tell. I made sure to let him know that I thought he did very well. It takes a lot of balls to do what he did. More so when a person is shy, nervous and trying to approach attractive women who are surrounded by loud obnoxious men. lol I hope that will encourage him to approach people in the future. Though, I'm not entirely sure that everyone else is going to be understanding or welcoming. I guess he's lucky that the one female he decided to approach was the one with SA. ::p:

I told him that I wanted to find him on Facebook and I ended up forgetting his last name today. I'm going to feel like a jackass when I have to explain that to him the next time I see him.

Feathers

Hey Serafina. I think what you did was really nice...

As for friending on Facebook.. If you're there under a nickname I think it's okay, if it's your real name and info about you, I think it's good to be a bit cautios.. And sometimes people just forget stuff even if it's written down on paper..

Many shy people may have a 'radar' for other shy people.. If he thought you were someone stuck up and such he probably wouldn't have approached..(?) (At least I hope so..)

Must tell you that some self-proclaimed 'shy' people didn't look very shy to me, lol! So it really depends on the individual and the interactions with him or her.. You'll get to know him better next time and if he's a nice guy (like most shy people are) he probably won't mind, especially if you explain it..

Ignace

Well, what coincidence, a fellow social phobic approaching another phobic :D You allready have something in common, well at least u know you have things in common , but does he ? He noticed you were shy too ? ::p:

Frankly said now, from what I've saw you in the picture, you have something like J. Lo style and are not that easy to approach. That guy had balls, and to think of it you were with your friend, not alone.

You can't really call them social phobics, they're just shy.

Felgen

My friend and I were approached by a self-proclaimed shy guy at the bar last night. He wasn't looking to hit on us, but he was looking for some company.
We had just arrived at the bar, and this young man comes up to us, noticeably shy and a bit nervous. He asked if we would care to join him for some drinks as he didn't want to drink alone so I told him that he was more than welcome to join us.

We all got to talking and one of the first things he mentioned was that he is shy and that it takes him a while to warm up to people. Also, he made it clear that he doesn't like to be in crowded areas or around too many people he doesn't know. He didn't make much eye contact and he was nervous and a bit awkward, but he was able to keep a conversation going and he's very smart from what I could tell. I made sure to let him know that I thought he did very well. It takes a lot of balls to do what he did. More so when a person is shy, nervous and trying to approach attractive women who are surrounded by loud obnoxious men. lol I hope that will encourage him to approach people in the future. Though, I'm not entirely sure that everyone else is going to be understanding or welcoming. I guess he's lucky that the one female he decided to approach was the one with SA. ::p:

I told him that I wanted to find him on Facebook and I ended up forgetting his last name today. I'm going to feel like a jackass when I have to explain that to him the next time I see him.

You and your friend did a nice thing for him. :)

fitftw

that's pretty cool. Wish I could randomly go up to chicks at a bar and ask to sit with them. But I do prefer to sit in silence and not make awkward conversation in a loud bar with strangers.

Sinar_Matahari

Hey Serafina. I think what you did was really nice...

He had the good fortune of finding a social phobic and someone who sort of understands how he feels. ;)

As for friending on Facebook.. If you're there under a nickname I think it's okay, if it's your real name and info about you, I think it's good to be a bit cautios.. And sometimes people just forget stuff even if it's written down on paper..

I'll just ask the other person I was with if he remembers the guy's last name. I remember he took note of it. Thank you for the word of caution. I'll be alright, though. I don't have any personal information about myself on FB. Besides, I have a big husband and a big dog so I feel pretty safe. ::p:

Many shy people may have a 'radar' for other shy people.. If he thought you were someone stuck up and such he probably wouldn't have approached..(?) (At least I hope so..)

Yes, maybe you're right. Normally, people don't realize that I can be shy because I can also be social. My shyness is not debilitating. It's my SA that acts up every so often. If anything, there are times when I come across as quiet or stuck up, but not shy. I think he approached my friend and I because we look friendly. We smile and laugh a lot so he may have felt that we would be approachable. I'm happy that he decided to do so.

Must tell you that some self-proclaimed 'shy' people didn't look very shy to me, lol! So it really depends on the individual and the interactions with him or her.. You'll get to know him better next time and if he's a nice guy (like most shy people are) he probably won't mind, especially if you explain it..

Yes, there are people who say they're shy, but don't seem to act like it. My shyness isn't debilitating or even a problem really. It's my social anxiety that acts up. I think this guy will warm up to us eventually. I'm really looking forward to hanging out with him again. I think he may have been bothered by all the other guys who came up to talk to me. I couldn't help but think about the guys on here who write about being too shy or too afraid to approach women and so his shyness became an endearing quality.

Sinar_Matahari

Well, what coincidence, a fellow social phobic approaching another phobic :D You allready have something in common, well at least u know you have things in common , but does he ? He noticed you were shy too ? ::p:

He may or may not have had social anxiety. Either way, I'm happy that he was able to push past his shyness. I let him know that I can be shy and that I can relate to how he feels to a certain extent, but I wasn't going to tell him about my SA. For example: he said that he keeps a small group of close friends as opposed to having many friends.

Frankly said now, from what I've saw you in the picture, you have something like J. Lo style and are not that easy to approach. That guy had balls, and to think of it you were with your friend, not alone.

I wish that the douche bags who do approach me - in the ladies room :mad: - would feel that I'm not easy to approach.