Anyone Gained higher self esteem/self worth? If so....how did you manage to do it?

BlackKids

Exercise :) (I sound like a feckin broken record right?)

As I toned up naturally I gained self esteem. Once you buy nicer / skinner clothes and know you look good you can hold your head up high. Proud. And yeah I know I'm pretty vain (mostly about how I look myself) but we do live in world full of vanity

So yeah. 1hr+ high cardio x 5 sessions a week for a year. Throw in 15mins toning three times a week. You can thank me when the boys are drooling at your feet lol

Last edited:

WorldEndsWithMe

Taekwondo.
Playing piano.
Singing.
Nothing makes your self-esteem and self worth grow like finding an activity you like and can get good at. (With a lot of practice of course!)

Also, university. Studying really hard and getting a good grade is so satisfying and makes me feel like I'm not stupid.

Last edited:

PapaSmurf

SImply accomplishing things.

Exercising or playing a sport or joing a teeam or anything where there is a specific goal that you can acheive.

I have personally found that doing things is far more effective than talking to yourself or CBT therapy.

Luna1740

Personally I was very suicidal when I was younger and so I started a suicide hotline for suicidal people/rape victims/ self mutilators/ drug addicts, that type of thing, and it really helped me get out of my depression, it sounds like it'd have done the opposite, but helping others deal with their ****, tends to 1. take your mind off your own 2. give you someone to talk to 3. put what you are dealing with in perspective

Avery

That's a good question, and one I'd like to know the answer to.

I have no doubt that accomplishments improve most people's self-esteem, but it's never worked for me. In the last half-year I've lost 40 pounds, placed third in a literature contest, and maintained my GPA despite tougher courses, but none of it makes me feel better about myself.

AGlife

As sad as it is, having a pleasant 2 minute conversation with someone can usually get me through the day. Only temporary though.

Usually volunteering and just helping others really improves my self esteem.

Darryl

Long story short, I broke the strong hold that AvPD had over me.
Basically mind exhaustion and Medication change.

I posted my journey in the Avoidance Personality section under Honey Moon
If you stop by say G'day (ha, good for the self esteem)

Darryl

jamez

I've been reading up on these stuff for the last few years.

All I can say is that it all comes from the inside. Your sense of self worth can be cultivated from within you. I try not to rely on any outside source because it is out of my control.

Health matters. If I want to feel better I need to work on both mental and physical. Watch what I eat. Because that matters too. Exercise.

Learning is the key too. Learning about myself. Things I like and dislike. About my limits too...how far can I go? I just realized that at this stage I just can't work relentlessly towards my goals. I need my 9-10 hour sleeps. I get tired after my 4-5 hour shifts at work. I get sick if I push myself too hard during my exercise regimes.

Getting at peace with my past. Past can't be undone. Learn and move on. Am I essentially a good or bad person? I have a lot of empathy for people some times. I help people some times just out of obligation but others times because I genuinely care. I just realised that I'm not such a bad person. So there's absolutely no use feeling bad about myself.

Emily_G

My self esteem is crazy higher than it used to be. I think it's partly because I am older and partly because I have a wonderful hubby.