anyone from india or pakistan?

oBSama

are SAD people from subcontinent too shy to share their experience even on web, or i am the only one from the subcontinent?

I_jailed_me

Your not the only one here, there are couple of us but i guess they are shy of telling their location?!!

Come on guys come out of the closet!! :)

People in India dont really make this out to be a problem, they just see it as inferiority complex, failure or shyness! These things dont need to be talked about because you need to over come such stuff alone?!

Whatever it is...you know who you are, talking about this only makes you feel that your not alone.

so hi.

Last edited:

Eilonwy

Your not the only one here, there are couple of us but i guess they are shy of telling their location?!!

Come on guys come out of the closet!! :)

People in India dont really make this out to be a problem, they just see it as inferiority complex, failure or shyness! These things dont need to be talked about because you need to over come such stuff alone?!

Whatever it is...you know who you are, talking about this only makes you feel that your not alone.

so hi.

So true...Im from Bangladesh [lived in the US for like 10 years though] but its practically the same mindset. My parents laughed at me the first time I gave in and told them I had SA. To the South Asian cultural mindset, there is no such thing as mental illness/disorder. they view it in terms of pretty much exactly what you said: inferiority & failure & incompetency. So its even harder to deal with it when youre from a South Asian family.

my parents are from india, i was born here in canada.

i dont like mentioning my background on the internet, especially towards the white people because they get all stupid and say things like, for example out of nowhere something about india or some random **** like that or ethnic bashing

them-"I love curry!!!!<3!!!!!"
me (iside my head of course)-"yeah (wtf)..........i love your insecurity about the fact that i have a different color of skin and your trying to bridge a gap through a mindless comment like that, I didn't just get off the boat."
me-"ok."

Eilonwy

my parents are from india, i was born here in canada.

i dont like mentioning my background on the internet, especially towards the white people because they get all stupid and say things like, for example out of nowhere something about india or some random **** like that or ethnic bashing

them-"I love curry!!!!<3!!!!!"
me (iside my head of course)-"yeah (wtf)..........i love your insecurity about the fact that i have a different color of skin and your trying to bridge a gap through a mindless comment like that, I didn't just get off the boat."
me-"ok."

wow i didnt really think there were that many South Asians with SA. this feels awesome =D but yeah i know that can get really aggravating....there are just alot of judgmental/ignorant people out there.

thats true,

especially when you don't really have that much family support, most of my relatives live far away, Ontario, but its just one of those things you got to deal with.

Remus

Staff member

You do not have to worry about that kind of small minded bigotry here mate :cool:

are SAD people from subcontinent too shy to share their experience even on web, or i am the only one from the subcontinent?

I'm not from Pakistan or India, but I do have a lot of respect for Pakistani people. I have a Pakistani friend who understands me very much if we talk about politics. Pakistan zindabad! May our relationship be forever! Insh'Allah!

I'm not necessarily from the Indian subcontinent, but I'm an Asian and I understand how you feel about a lot of mental difficulties being looked down upon as failures or personal weaknesses.

uhmm_doh

This thread seems pretty dead now. But I just searched to see if there was anyone else from the subcontinent out here. It's hard to go any place without bumping into people from this part of the world!

But I think you got it perfectly right. Some SA people, especially from the subcontinent, are too shy to share their experience even on the web. I'm a perfect example of that. I haven't taken an initiative to socialize even on a support forum. Joined over two years ago. Only been a lurker to read other people's experiences from time to time. And I haven't been able to improve myself at all.

Anyone else out there from the subcontinent? Somehow i doubt there is...

MrTimid&Shy

born and grew up in India till my teenage years, lived in the u.s since. I agree S.A is not something i've even heard of while i was in India. people there don't really take it seriously , and they tend to see it as a failure/incompetency. it is harder to have s.a and be south Asian, that's why you don't see a lot of them come out with it. if you grew up in a middle class family in india(which is the majority) there is a lot of pressure to be achieve success. most parents force their children to do somethin they want, like a doctor or an engineer. in general s.a is looked down upon and most feel like its a shame to have.

Conspiracy

<3
Currently living in Pakistan.
I am too insecure and worried about how people would judge me if I ever told them which country I was from. So I end up lying most of the time =/

Oh the irony :rolleyes:

Srijita52

I'm from India as well(that explains my bad English...haha)I totally agree with what everyone's talking about in this thread,but I knew about my SA long ago & I really don't see it as a failure,its more like a problem to me.Yeah some parents do push their kids but never had a personal experience with that either.I wanna be a psychologist & my parents support me very much...Although I do have a problem with too loud,seemingly shallow ppl with superiority complex.Guess they're available at every country:p