Anyone else go through the day barely saying a word?

CrazyGirl

That's me totally. I can go throughout the entire say saying little of anything to anyone. Most of my days are like this. I explained this to my counselor. I had always been like this. I don't know if a part plays the fact I'm hearing impaired. My hearing loss makes it difficult to understand others speaking. Just because I wear hearing aids doesn't mean I can hear well. It just means I can hear the sounds better without wearing them. When I hear people speak, it sounds muffled/garbled or whatever you want to call it. I isolated myself because of it, embarrassed of my hearing loss at a young age although there were many others like me around my age dealing with deafness and hearing loss.

Not me at least, man I'm not sure if I belong on this sight. I've been talkative for as long as I can think of. No wait, yes I have gotten pretty close to that in public and did it in private at least four times I think.

Have you ever considered trying to increase conversation by text, due to your sight being okay? Just um....trying to think up ideas.

Ithior

I almost only spoke when addressed to when I was in university. Now that I spend most of my days at home, I barely say a word all day, though sometimes I do speak a bit during dinner. Apart from that I don't talk much, unless I'm home alone (in which case I talk to myself a lot).
When I have to say "Thank you" "You're welcome " "No problem" "Excuse me" outside I can barely be heard most times.

Not me at least, man I'm not sure if I belong on this sight. I've been talkative for as long as I can think of. No wait, yes I have gotten pretty close to that in public and did it in private at least four times I think.

Have you ever considered trying to increase conversation by text, due to your sight being okay? Just um....trying to think up ideas.
I used to send 1500 sms a week when I was 14. Nowadays? Maybe 10 a week if I'm feeling talkative (usually just asking my parents stuff).

Kiwong

My last day of work three weeks ago, I didn't say hello, or goodbye, or anything in between.

squidgee

Same here. Never feel like I have anything good to contribute to a conversation that'd be interesting or useful.

Darkness_'82

The only people I really talk to are my parents. I can't carry on a conversation with anyone else because even though I want to talk, my mind just goes blank. I just can't talk to people. I can say hi and bye to supermarket checkout operators but that's pretty much it. God it's a bstard of an illness isn't it...

Scandic123

Well, I barely say anything in class or large groups of people, but in groups with 2-3 others and among my closest friends, I don't have that much trouble speaking. My social anxiety is strange...

Nooms

Well, I barely say anything in class or large groups of people, but in groups with 2-3 others and among my closest friends, I don't have that much trouble speaking. My social anxiety is strange...

I wouldn't say your social anxiety is strange like that, it just means you are more comfortable in small groups, and especially more comfortable with people you know. Sounds very similar to my SA :)

theoutsider

When I was single, I used to notice that I would go entire weekends without saying a word to a soul. It was actually kind of depressing to know that the only people I spoke to were my co-workers during the week. But on the other hand, if somebody called me over the weekend to talk to me I regarded it with dread and often wouldn't answer. The phone ringing would really cause my anxiety to skyrocket.

I almost only spoke when addressed to when I was in university. Now that I spend most of my days at home, I barely say a word all day, though sometimes I do speak a bit during dinner. Apart from that I don't talk much, unless I'm home alone (in which case I talk to myself a lot).
When I have to say "Thank you" "You're welcome " "No problem" "Excuse me" outside I can barely be heard most times.

I used to send 1500 sms a week when I was 14. Nowadays? Maybe 10 a week if I'm feeling talkative (usually just asking my parents stuff).

Pardon my French but, what the hell happened? Why so quiet online now?

Biev

It might seem contradictory since social situations make me anxious, but I have a very pressing need to speak at regular intervals and I get overwhelmed with sadness if I can't. My parents spent most of my childhood trying to get me to shut up, while teachers expressed their concerns that I wasn't speaking much. (Their answer : "Oh don't get her started!") Now if I have a conversation at school, I'm walking on air all the way home, and if I don't, I unleash it all on my poor boyfriend when I get home. If he's not there, I go for a combination of talking to the cat and browsing forums all night. So thank you guys for participating in keeping me sane <3

laure15

It might seem contradictory since social situations make me anxious, but I have a very pressing need to speak at regular intervals and I get overwhelmed with sadness if I can't. My parents spent most of my childhood trying to get me to shut up, while teachers expressed their concerns that I wasn't speaking much.

For me it's the opposite. At school, particularly in elementary, my teachers often encourage us to shut up. I was one of the talkative people, and oftentimes, I was put down and punished for being too talkative. Even in cafeteria during lunchtime, the teachers forced us to be quiet, or there would be punishment. Soon I learnt to equate silence with good and noise with bad. When I reached middle school, I was very quiet and earned good grades in class.

conscious_mindz

I live alone, i don't work & i can go days without speaking to anyone or even seeing anyone, i see my parents on a weekend & i go to a social anxiety group every thursday but during the week im pretty much on my own in my flat not speaking or seeing anyone :-(

Scandic123

For me it's the opposite. At school, particularly in elementary, my teachers often encourage us to shut up. I was one of the talkative people, and oftentimes, I was put down and punished for being too talkative. Even in cafeteria during lunchtime, the teachers forced us to be quiet, or there would be punishment. Soon I learnt to equate silence with good and noise with bad. When I reached middle school, I was very quiet and earned good grades in class.

Those teachers should get better education, because punishing talkative and loud children causes them to get social anxiety later in their lives.

vickiekitties

I would like to be able to get away with saying less. The management at my job views me as the leader of my team; I end up having to give directions to my associates and the like, report on our progress and such. It can get pretty tiresome. They used to try to pressure me into taking a managerial position, but I've made it pretty clear that this much responsibility is more than enough already.