Anyone else get mad eaisly because they bottled emotions up for too long?

I feel like that. When I was little, I was known as the kid who never got mad. Now, little things make me want to punch something or someone. I talk to my social worker but that only helps a little bit.

shakethelight

I used to get angry often and had moments where I did and said things I now regret. anger is a response to physical or psychological pain. so try to identify why you are getting so upset. I wear a rubber band so whenever I feel like I am getting to a point where I cant control my feelings I just snap it a few times. It usually helps, then I try to identify why I am feeling provoked in my journal.

Silatuyok

I was a paragon of repressed emotion, right up until I was almost 19. Then it all came crashing down around me, and has taken me nearly ten years to even begin to get those emotions back into a healthy balance. I'm getting there, slowly.

WeirdyMcGee

Opposite for me.

When I was a child, I was often crying and upset over various things.
Very sensitive-- alot of things made me angry.
Being hungry may have had something to do with it... that, and no one ever being around for me to talk to... and being beat up every day at school (and there was no internet back then to talk to anyone about it)

When I hit puberty, I found that my emotions had disappeared and I couldn't show much emotion even if I tried.
As an adult, I'm anxious all the time but I'd describe myself as a calm person.
I talk to people rarely, about how I'm feeling.
I don't feel like I hold things in though-- I just don't have strong emotions about anything, so it never reaches that boiling point.

YellowBird

yes,but only when i feel comfortable,because i'm tense and super self conscious all the time i'm out the house,when i get back,every single little thing pisses me off.

crazypants

I have a really low threshold for stress, and that can come out as anger and frustrated when I'm in a situation where I feel I have no control.

We have these self-check out lines at the local grocery store, and they malfunction 9 times out of 10, but I always choose that over a human cashier. By the time I've trudged through the store, which is always way too hot for me, and make it to the check out, I'm already all edgy and sweating and I'm dying to get out of there. So OF COURSE the stupid machine starts messing up and nothing will scan right.

This is when I turn into a giant bitch. Some poor clerk has to come over and override the machine, and I'm always so pissed off at this point that I can't help but give them a big attitude about it, even though it's not their fault.

I'm sweating, self-concious, stressed out, and now I'm angry about every little thing that's making it worse.

I think this is because I never learned how to cope with my anxiety levels when I was a kid, so they stay bottled up until something aggravating like this happens.

Last edited:

Srijita52

I used to do this a lot but now I try not to repress my emotions as it leads to me being seriously depressed sometimes. I still don't show my emotions in public though, but I try to get it all out once I'm alone.

Foxface

I used to do this a lot but now I try not to repress my emotions as it leads to me being seriously depressed sometimes. I still don't show my emotions in public though, but I try to get it all out once I'm alone.

Same here. I never show weakness. I'm more likea robot in public.

Phoenixx

Yeah, sometimes I get really mad fairly easily. I don't like it when I'm angry, it actually gives me a headache and I feel uncontrollable. Not like, going on a rampage uncontrollable, but I'll stay mad or irritated for a very long time and I feel like I can't get over it. I do eventually of course, but still. Depending on the level, sometimes it takes hours. I don't get violent or anything (although I can't say I haven't felt that way), I just tend to sometimes snap back at people close to me.

MikeyC

I have become more angry recently, but not to any kind of intense rage. Usually my rage come out when I'm alone.

R3K

yes, another anger thread...

my job i just left was a pharmacy and i was a clerk addicted to identifying and chasing every shoplifter (mostly teenagers.) my hypersensitivity from SAD was like an amplified radar and i identified shoplifters super easy. then for various reasons, probably anxiety related, i began to get upset at the frequency of the thieves. after chasing them half a mile down the street and tackling them, i'd roar at them to sit on the curb or empty their pockets. before this job, my entire life, i'd never raised my voice to anybody, even if i were getting yelled at; complete SAD flight mode in every social encounter.

now, i don't take sh*t from anyone. i'm not an uncontrollable hulk monster about it, but i'm definately equipped to stand my ground and retort to any kind of verbal intimidation.

lilmutegirl

Yes, I do. Lately, I've been getting mad very easily, which is weird, because I have a lot to be happy about.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
I am a more angry person now than when I was younger and unable to talk about anything for fear of getting beaten up.

coyote

i used to have a pretty bad temper, and i lost it pretty easily

i don't know that i ever bottled things up, but i may not have always directed my anger at the people or things that were causing it - which is probably worse

in the last few years, i have learned to let things go - i am much more patient and seldom get very angry

it's really just not worth it to me anymore

maybe i'm just mellowing in my old age

Due to realizing in the past few years that i have some "pretty hefty" anger issues, namely rage outbursts, those experiences have forced me to REALLY pay attention to the building anger, and to PREVENT it from escalating into full-blown, out-of-control rage.

That's all i think i can do for now, as i don't know the real source/s of my rage, i have a lot of daily stresses which builds up, and i have very little aggression outlets.

Duzmiu

when i was younger i was always fighting and lost my temper really easy, i got control of it when i hit 15/16 so used to think it was cause of school but its started up again this year and now nothing i do controls it now,