Anyone Behind in College/University?

CHAKRAPOINT

I'm currently in my second year of college second semester and didnt qualify to write for seven of my subjects so far, to qualify to write an exam one has to have 50% pass mark on their Continuous assessment mark(assignments and tests) but i havent qualified because i have been avoidant going to classes due to S.A. So that means when assignments were given out i wasnt there or with tests. i feel soo behind and incapable of catching up as i'll have to be in all those classess which means more S.A. im seven subjects behind plus the subjects for my third year ,this just seems t0 be too much for someone with social anxiety.

Silatuyok

It took me six years to get my bachelor's degree, simply because I couldn't handle taking a full course load every semester. I feel no shame for it. Getting through college is the second hardest thing I've ever done in my life; why not take your time.

anxiety1408

well im 20, and im going to start my university course in may (I'll be 21 by then), It will be via open university.

this_portrait

Nope, not behind. I'll be getting my Bachelor's in May, so I will have completed university in 4 years.

However, I've procrastinated a number of times (especially this semester) because of SA and depression. It is not pleasant having to rush through all my work after spending time moping around and being a nervous wreck.

Hoppy

"The earlier you fall behind the more time do you have to catch up."

I feel your pain boy, but unfortunately there is no way out except forward. This is one time where you cannot blame anyone but yourself.

Been there, done that and didn't even get a T-shirt.

gustavofring

I'm one and a half year behind on graduating with a project. Feel pretty much hopeless and I lost contact with the teachers as well out of shame and avoidance behavior. The teachers are horrible and little supportive, and I feel they will mock me if I get back in touch. I also don't want to explain my situation to them because I fear opening myself up like that.

Really gotta get over myself I guess.

Island_chic

I'm one and a half year behind on graduating with a project. Feel pretty much hopeless and I lost contact with the teachers as well out of shame and avoidance behavior. The teachers are horrible and little supportive, and I feel they will mock me if I get back in touch. I also don't want to explain my situation to them because I fear opening myself up like that.

Really gotta get over myself I guess.
I never finished my art portfolio upon graduating:( I had trouble talking to my teachers and they really didn't offer any help.

pop-princess

Seems like this is very common. I was a big flop in high school because I stayed home alot, didn't do any oral assigments and never talked or asked the teachers anything. Everything was difficult. An evil spiral. Now I have to fix all those failed school subjects.

I don't want to blame others but I wish teachers would be a little more pedagogic and be more knowledgable about social phobia and avoidant personality. It they notice that there are some students that rarely show up and never talk to to the teachers maybe they should ask if there are some problems that they should be aware of because people with SA often are too afraid to talk about their issues.

Last edited:

pop-princess

Well, people are naturally unable to understand feelings like that, unless they experience it, so they simply do not research it at all. The main reason why they are not going to research the problem is because they do not realize how serious it actually is, even if you explained to them the problem in detailed information, they simply can't grasp how much of an issue it really is, which is why the majority of teachers would probably never take the problem seriously among other things that are not taken seriously in school, such as verbal abuse, that will affect a person emotionally.

Then there is just the simple fact that they will probably make false assumptions. They will notice that if a student is not coming to class, then they will think so, for different reasons, other than what is actually the real reason, such as not coming to school because the person has social problems and even if the teacher did know why, as I explained earlier, they would not truly understand how serious the problem is, it is simply impossible for them to understand, in my opinion.

Hmm.. I don't really understand you now. You mean it's useless for teachers to learn more about SA because they wont understand anyway? I think they should research more and learn that it in fact is a serious problem for a lot of people. Why not? It's not like more can't be done. Teachers should know that students come from different backgrounds, have different problems and different personalities. For example it's good that nowdays most people with dyslexia or ADHD get help. Since social phobia is also quite common I think teachers should be more aware about the disorder and the symptoms. I don't think it will end up that every student will start blaming on social phobia...

Last edited:

gustavofring

For example, lets say a student has social problems, thus he does not come to school almost at all or in situations where they must be most social; the teacher would simply make the assumption that the student does not care, thus doesn't come; when this was simply not the cas

Very true, and it's not that strange really. It's basically their job to give people a hard time, so they filter out the people who aren't "motivated" enough for a study. It's a very result driven world after all. Still they could be a bit more humane towards the social anxiety and or ADD students who do have the motivation but just have trouble keeping up because of their disorder.

I think that there's tutors for this sort of thing though who you could talk to and they could transfer the information about your problems to the teachers.

jonas89

Im behind yes, I should have been done with my things a long time ago, but it wasn't really S.A.D to blame tho, I just really didn't enjoy the subject that much and wasn't really sure if it was something that I saw myself doing as a profession in the near future. I took a few years off from school and did go to work and now Im more eager to go to school again probably because Im more mature which is odd :S
But now I now what Im aiming for and find really interesting I did go back to finish where I have left off so it would look better on paper hehe and also helps with the further studies :)

pop-princess

Well, im trying to see things from a less cynical way and i'm hoping there will be a change in the future and that SA and avoidant disorder are problems that are taken more seriously in the future regarding school :)

Actually there was a documentary about Sweden's school system not long ago on tv here and there was a girl with social phobia who was interviewed who had failed school. She had very similar problems as I had like
- rarely showing up because feeling scared to interact and meet people and many missed classes leads to being behind in everything
- problems asking and talking to teachers and other authorities
- problems sending in essays because they are never "good" enough and so on....

In the documentary they asked why didn't she get any help? Why didn't anyone ask if she had any problems?

I hope many teachers and principals saw that show.

jonas89

Well, im trying to see things from a less cynical way and i'm hoping there will be a change in the future and that SA and avoidant disorder are problems that are taken more seriously in the future regarding school :)

Actually there was a documentary about Sweden's school system not long ago on tv here and there was a girl with social phobia who was interviewed who had failed school. She had very similar problems as I had like
- rarely showing up because feeling scared to interact and meet people and many missed classes leads to being behind in everything
- problems asking and talking to teachers and other authorities
- problems sending in essays because they are never "good" enough and so on....

In the documentary they asked why didn't she get any help? Why didn't anyone ask if she had any problems?

I hope many teachers and principals saw that show.

do you remember the title of that documentary ? :)

pop-princess

Last edited:

jonas89