Any1 here 50 & never dated

Littlewilly

Well thats it I have turned 50 2day & have never dated.
Now where do I go from here.
Actually it was a very good day as all but most of my family turned up at a surprise party at the local pub cum resturant.
But I still felt very lonely & feel i've now missed the boat on ever finding any1 now or ever. I'll take any comments sympathetic or o/w within in reason.::(:

coyote

I'm 46 and haven't dated that much

I usually wind up marrying them before it gets too far

FountainandFairfax

in a VAN down by the RIVER
I’m only about a lap-and-a-half behind you, so don’t go thinking you’re all that special. :D

The older I get the tougher it gets to try and act normal. I’m hoping someone’s in the market for "quirky loner" at this point. I’ve all but given up on the part of "alpha male.”

Tiercel

I'm 60% of the way to matching your unblemished record, willy. The closest I've come was having dinner with a girl I tried to befriend in college. But since we only ate at the campus cafeteria and weren't trying for anything more than friends, I've never considered that a date.

Heck, I can't even get women to agree to not date me. Thus my motto has become "Call me whatever you want. Just call me."

::eek::

Kiwong

48. I've only asked two girls out on a date, they both said yes, but the dates didn't eventuate.

Unbearable

i am almost there. seems to bother me more than anyone else i know.
i have severe, severe depression which has not responded to anything over about 30 years. i've tried everything i can.
anyone can pm me if they want.

I'm still fairly young (38 yrs; as always look like a boy & feel like an old man), but i DEFINATELY am heading towards what you guys have. And really, i'm practically there already, as i've always felt like "an old man", even as a child (not sayin 50 is old), and nothing short of a MIRACLE is going to change this "destiny" i have. However dating/girlfriend, & marriage for sure, has never held much of an interest for me.

About your depression: I suffered acute/severe & chronic depression for over 15 years. It wasn't constant, but i got it at least a few times each year, for spells of up to 2 weeks (usu just a few days). Back then i also believed that it couldn't be beaten, but as i now know, i was mistaken...
Due to all those years of such experiences, and all the screeds-and-screeds of thinking/analysing i did on it, I consider myself an "expert" in depression. But even so, it was still a HELLISHLY difficult thing for me to beat, and it will no doubt be the same for you. I still don't really know WHAT/HOW i did to beat it (more-or-less for good, it seems!?), but i'll have a think about it, and maybe might PM you about it in the next few days. I'll be glad to share my knowledge.
But for now, just accept that you don't know or understand everything about depression/life/.. (and that you might never), and although what you are experiencing is indeed "real" (for you), it doesn't mean it is "TRUE"

Last edited:

MollyBeGood

aww Happy B-day!! sounds like a nice surprise party you got! Isn't 50 nifty? I dunno why I said that-lol I am in my 30's :p

I work in aged care for a while and some residents would form relationships, including wandering into each others rooms for the night! So dont think of age as a barrier :)

Hastings & Main

Had a gf for about 6 months, but she instigated it. It's much better when the woman goes first with contact.
Stay young at heart (hey I still skateboard) and don't give up.

I like to think of Anthony Quinn, who became a father at 81. (And try to push aside the fact that he was a movie star, an artist, and had enough charisma to lend out to 12 people and never ask for it back.)

Dwight

I am 29, practically never dated, never had a girlfriend, had a disastrous sexual experience with... well, let's not mention the kind of woman it was.

I have a friend, he is in his sixties, and never dated.

Yes, it's bad, but you know what? Screw them all! Dating can go to hell, that's what you should be saying.

Will an intercourse make you happy? I really don't think so. But even if it will - satisfying animal instincts is not a goal of a sentient being.

If other women decided to pass you by, it's THEIR problem. Screw them all!

By "never dated" you mean
a) Never regularly dated a woman (been on a few dates with)
. . or
b) Never had a single date ever
?

I'm the latter .. and 38 going on 50. And apparently i'm "not bad looking" for a guy - I just have "problems in the head"

DafT

I'm 25 and had my first date the other day. I probably would have gone my whole life without experiencing a relationship had I not hit rock bottom depression-wise at the end of last year, and decided to toss out all my anxiety-driven hesitance and jump into the deep end of life before I gave up entirely.

I found someone on a dating site who gave me a chance, and it actually progressed from there. It's amazing how much confidence it gives you when someone actually finds you attractive. My self-esteem is higher than it has been my whole life, and it has only motivated me further to keep working at the things I want to accomplish.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is, don't give up!

If you're interested in the site I used, it was okcupid.com. Give it a try.

Cynicalloner

I'm 18 and the way things are going looks like I can get pretty close to that age and be able to say the same. I've tried one dating site so far and tried to get over my fear of talking to women and they didn't even respond when I messaged them. Great way to destroy my confidence.

AsTimeBurns

Only 23, but no dates ever, but I had hoped I might grow out of it when I got older. Seems that may not be the case then judging by these responses!

I'm 25 and had my first date the other day
Well i guess a "well done" is in order!. Don't know how you did it, but you did. I think (just a theory) that when a person becomes able to be in a "relationship", that person has become more "healthy" overall than before (such as better self-esteem), and especially if they actually manage to form & maintain one. This is because being alone/isolated/antisocial/etc all the time is not a very healthy way to live, and it signifies ill-health in a number of areas.
So, here's to your continued good health!

Speaking of confidence, I have it in abundance ... but just not when it concerns people and women...

If you're interested in the site I used, it was okcupid.com
That's a good site, one of my favorites - possibly one of the best for dating & what-not (IMHO)

Last edited: