Any metalheads here?

upndwn

Surely I can't be the only one bowing to the metal throne?

Favorite bands and songs?

Those who like hard rock can also post :D

NihilSlayer

Metal is more important to me than the vast majority of things.

Favourite bands include:

Black Sabbath
Massacra
Atheist (notably: Piece of Time and Unquestionable Presence is a classic of Floridan tech death-- groundbreaking)
Pestilence (Consuming Impulse, Testimony of the Ancients, and the very trippy Spheres)
Morbid Angel (everything after Covenant sucked sadly)
Psychotic Waltz (underrated progish band from California. Two albums A social Grace and Into the everflow are masterpieces I think though)
Slayer (Hell Awaits, Reign in Blood, and South of Heaven I enjoy regularly and immensely)
Therion (Early death metal albums are great, but still continue to make rather good music I guess, but it's populist in nature. Not nearly as shameless as most though)
Bathory (Everything is good, Blood, Fire, Death should get the pedestal however.)
Emperor (In the Nightside Eclipse... went downhill after that by my reckonings)
Immortal
Early Sepultura
Early Burzum
Immolation

I could go on and on, but I really must be getting ready for my schoolings. Oddly enough, in recent times metal has become vapid and stale I believe. There is simply too much metal I think, and no efficient way to regulate quality. Thus, the one quality release is drowned out by a sea of unworthy myspace fools bombarding the internets with what to them is their "meaningful" new metal release. The underground should learn to self-regulate instead of sitting back while other popular styles of music get assimilated to metal and it devalued. I don't know if metal will emerge victorious or not... And it breaks me bleeding heart. : (

Phoenixx

Absolutely love hard rock (More of the newer stuff. Not a fan of the older stuff. Sorry! ::eek::). I like metal too, but I'm more into the post-hardcore genre.

upndwn

Here are some bands I like in no particular order:

Black sabbath, bal-sagoth, Burzum, Opeth, Old man's child, Immortal, Satyricon, Gorgoroth, Darkthrone, Dimmu Borgir, Therion, Graveworm, Rhapsody, Insomnium, Kiuas, Noumena, Kamelot, Chtonic, Blind guardian, Cryonic temple, Axel Rudi Pell, Masterplan, ManOwaR, Virgin black, My dying bride, Metallica, Children of Bodom, Megadeath, In flames, Within temptation, Mayhem, Soilwork, Sonata arctica, Dark moor, Disturbed, Godsmack, Dawn of relic, Finntroll, Tristania, Sirenia, Virgin steel, Volbeat, Tiamat, Paradise lost, Black stone cherry, Gotthard, Dillinger escape plan, Heavenwood, Northern Kings, Iron maiden, AC/DC, Judas priest, Swallow the sun, Otep, Agathodaimon, Apocalyptica, Avantasia, Slayer, Cradle of filth, Dragonforce, Keep of Kalessin, Harmony, Heavenly, Deathstars, Highland glory, Hammerfall, System of a down, Tool, A perfect circle, Accept, Scorpions, Amorphis, Amon Amarth, Dio, Dionysus, Edenbridge, Ensiferum, Moonsorrow, Freedom call, Midnattsol, Sabaton, Saxon, Shade Empire, Turisas, How like a winter, Ara Inferni, Scar symmetry, Arch enemy, Dark tranquility, Behemoth, Dissection, Carcass, Hypocrisy, Type O negative, Fear factory, Sepultura, Clawfinger, Black label society, Theatre of tragedy and probably lots more which i can't recollect at the moment

As you can see I'm really versatile in my taste of music ::p:

Nanita

I like Black Sabbath, Guns n roses, Death, Slayer, Mastodon, Tool.
And there are too many favorite songs to mention.

Tiercel

I'll listen to just about anything in the hard rock/metal genre. A few favorites are Black Sabbath, Blind Guardian, Type O Negative, and Bathory. Lately I've been into Summoning and Carnivore.

I've always loved Marshall amps, but lately I've been liking some ENGLs a bit more....

Summoning

I'll listen to just about anything in the hard rock/metal genre. A few favorites are Black Sabbath, Blind Guardian, Type O Negative, and Bathory. Lately I've been into Summoning and Carnivore.

I've always loved Marshall amps, but lately I've been liking some ENGLs a bit more....

Hails from another Summoning fan.

My favorite bands change with my mood, but overall I would say that Agalloch, Ensiferum, Amon Amarth, Summoning, Windir and Primordial are my favorite metal bands (no particular order).

Steppen-Wolf

I'm huge power/melodic/symphonic metal fan.

My favorite metal bands are Sabaton, Sonata Artica, Nightwish, Nightingale, Wintersun, Luca Turilli, Epica and a few others.

And BTW, anyone else likes Dan Swanö?

I think he's such a great metal musician, but basically nobody knows about him or his projects...

YouTube - ‪Nightingale The Dreamreader‬‏

talisman

I'm a metal head. Some of my favourite bands are Blind Guardian, Nightwish, Sabaton, Insomnium, Ensiferum, Satanakozel, Dark Moor, Dark At Dawn, Bathory, Sonata Arctica, Kalmah, Summoning, Alestorm, Forefather, Majesty, Crystal Viper, Edguy, Finntroll, Helloween, Gamma Ray, Grave Digger, Lonewolf, Nocturnal Rites, Wizard, Moonsorrow, Nomans Land, Nordheim, Northland, Leaves' Eyes, Before The Dawn, Children of Bodom, Sonic Syndicate, Scar Symmetry...

panicsurvivor

I went through my teens and early 20s in the metal/punk scene in southern Oregon, in the 90's. So I have listened to all of the bands mentioned. There were some I didn't recognize, so I assume they are more recent. My friends were such obnoxious metalheads that they completely soured me on the genre. I now can't listen to most metal anymore, it is just noise to me.
But I got to shout out a few props. Black Sabbath are the fathers of metal, and are awesome, no one can deny they have a huge place in MUSIC history, not just metal. Iron Maiden, Megadeath, Metallica, and Sepultura all have carved out a name for themselves and deserve recognition.
Also you may not realize it but in the early 80's, Americas Metal scene didn't have much balls, but one band really shot some heaviness into the mainstream, and they are not even regarded as metal, Van Halen. Say what you want about them, but they were pretty heavy.
Neurosis Is actually a really original metal band with a sound that is really unlike anyone else's. Some people don't really like them because they are to slow, but I still listen to them fairly often. You guys that are really into Metal should check them out if you haven't already.
I got to agree with an earlier post. Why has nobody mentioned Motorhead? You surly don't know your Metal history if you don't have anything to say about them. But I'll give you another........ PANTERA!!!!!!!! Pantera is the baddest ass Metal band I have ever heard. There time was too short.
RIP Dimebag.

Summoning

Steppen-Wolf, Luca Turilli is a f* genius.

My parents just look at me like "wtf?" every time I sing out loud the "Emerald Sword".