Any Latin American people over here?

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
Not many Latino's around here ;)
I know, seriously! I've lived in south Texas so long it feels weird if there aren't any brown people around. ::p:

I've been playing Mexicans almost exclusively in Fallout NV. I almost always played a white guy in Fallout 3, but the in the desert setting I think I need a little brown power. :D

I really should post in the screenshot thread sometime.

MaliceInWickedland

Not many Latino's around here ;)

Hmm, my parents and I moved here when I was 4... pretty much grew up here. I like rock, hamburgers and white girls :D... I know more about American culture than I do about Latino... though I'm very proud and appreciative of my latino culture (it's very fun and 'social').

^Well said~ :D
Where did you live before you turned 4? What Latino nationality are you?

AGR

I dont remember if I posted with this account here yet,yes maybe next year I will have to go back to latin america,huge difference from here.

Pachito

Yo soy Peruano, y tengo fobia social. Me gusta tocar guitarra, y como dijo un camarada, I like white girls:D tambien lol.

so can anyone relate this to this.... i am latino and live i a predominantly Caucasian area and seldom come in contact with any latinos at all. I never really think about it much but lately i have..... idk its like i feel maybe i would be able to relax around latinos a little more ..... i have had people both white and Hispanic say things like your "very white" and it has always bugged me..... my closest friends are white, i have never dated a latina....... i was recently at a newish friends party and at some point realized i was in a circle of latino people talking, there was a odd and sudden sensation off pleasant novelty now that i think about it....... i guess i have not really fully thought this out. but the rambling did make me feel a little better so that is a plus. feel like i am on to something here.

Danfalc

Banned
I'm part Spanish/Mexican, and part Black Irish. But my Dad lost touch with his roots and never taught me about them.

So I grew up feeling more English than anything, except for In the summer when I go dark and get called slurs for being Asian, that's how ignorant some people are over here.

Beatmetrics

I'm part Spanish/Mexican, and part Black Irish. But my Dad lost touch with his roots and never taught me about them.
Can I ask because I'm noticing like, some trends of this. Parents of all kinds. Why do some parents with a rich cultural background just seem to deny being any part of this? I feel as though it takes a lot away from the child's identity. Who ever and whatever you background you come from SHOW YOUR CHILD WHO YOU ARE so they can understand who they are...I"m just saying...now I'm going.

Danfalc

Banned
Can I ask because I'm noticing like, some trends of this. Parents of all kinds. Why do some parents with a rich cultural background just seem to deny being any part of this?

Course you can ask. But I wish I had the answers, my Dad was just a bad Farther all together, he was too drunk to raise me half the time let alone teach me about my roots.

I know a little more about my Irish roots, but not much, thankfully I think we can embrace our heritage and learn more about it even if parents fail to do so :) But I agree 100% about what you said.

Latin Americans are HOT!!

Sorry, completely unrelated but I just had an urge to throw that in.

I'll go now. I cannot hablar Spanish anyway.

Sadly, that's just another stereotype. Not every Latin American is a "Latin lover". Some of us are Latin losers.

so can anyone relate this to this.... i am latino and live i a predominantly Caucasian area and seldom come in contact with any latinos at all. I never really think about it much but lately i have..... idk its like i feel maybe i would be able to relax around latinos a little more ..... i have had people both white and Hispanic say things like your "very white" and it has always bugged me..... my closest friends are white, i have never dated a latina....... i was recently at a newish friends party and at some point realized i was in a circle of latino people talking, there was a odd and sudden sensation off pleasant novelty now that i think about it....... i guess i have not really fully thought this out. but the rambling did make me feel a little better so that is a plus. feel like i am on to something here.

I've found people your own race are more likely to trust you, talk to you and be friendlier to you. Not saying everything is racial, but it makes things easier. I recently moved to a big city that is majority Hispanic because of that fact, because I cant make friends or get a date and so I need every advantage I can take. I lived in a majority white city and went to a college that was 95% white, but I know race wasn't that big a part in why I never had friends, as I'm shy, have social anxiety and dont have good social skills, but I know it had to effect things just a little.

Originally I'm from a state that is majority Hispanic everywhere (New Mexico), and whenever I would go back to visit relatives, I could feel a difference. However, I ended up growing up in TX most of my life and its not like that here except in a city or two and around the border.

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
Around here there is often a lot of pressure to 'Americanize' your kids. In order for them to fit it, to have a better chance of a good job, etc. And that seems reasonable to me, but I don't understand why parents would ever skip teaching their kids a language that they easily could, or not bother to pass on culture in addition to learning the local culture.

Danfalc

Banned
Around here there is often a lot of pressure to 'Americanize' your kids. In order for them to fit it, to have a better chance of a good job, etc.

I sometimes wonder if that's what my Dad wanted, but I'm not sure, he just didn't seem to care or value his heritage, and the only time he spoke to me In spanish was when he would loose his temper :rolleyes: Hence why I only know words like Puto and Pendejo , idiota. Yeah charming guy.

I don't think I can blame him fully though, my Grandparents seemed to want to fit into English society so maybe my Dad never got much of a chance to embrace his heritage himself.

AGR

Can I ask because I'm noticing like, some trends of this. Parents of all kinds. Why do some parents with a rich cultural background just seem to deny being any part of this? I feel as though it takes a lot away from the child's identity. Who ever and whatever you background you come from SHOW YOUR CHILD WHO YOU ARE so they can understand who they are...I"m just saying...now I'm going.

Sometimes they just lose contact when they move to another country,like I dont even know who my portuguese relatives are and where they live,same thing I probably have family in okinawa,but since my family went to brazil they lost all contact,I think it was pretty hard to keep contact back then.

Purplepixies

I'm Latina. I'm half Dominican and half Colombian.
I can't identify myself with Latinos at all which is horribly weird because I was raised in the Dominican Republic more than half my life (I was born here in NYC though).
The reason: I hate being stereotypical but it seems Latinos and specially Dominicans only care about paying their bills, eating, working, ****ing and partying. I have no Spanish friends who like to do things like visit a museum, go to an amusement park etc. They all sit and watch novelas while I'm home all alone watching re-runs of Doctor Who. Then the next day they speak about all the **** that happened on their stupid shows and I'm just like: *poker face*.
It sucks! I also find them dumb as hell. They never know nothing about nothing. It's like they been brain washed. I seriously rather be alone now days. I never liked them anyways. I was always treated like the last option to go out with to do what they call 'fun' things back in DR. I have really started to hate my own race for I can't seem to find anything in common to talk about. I'm also a unicorn or something for being Latina and being a virgin at age 20. I been a virgin by choice because I don't like Latino guys and White dudes don't approach me because I'm intimidating. I will forever be alone D:
I'm dragging now... going off topic but all I say are honest feelings of mines. I'm sorry if I offended anyone. I still love the smart, culturally diverse Latinos. And I would surely date one if only they showed interest in anything that wasn't clubbing, drinking, ****ing and watching bull**** TV. Siento mucho haber sido una total zorra pero es la purita verdad y ya no me da un pedo decirlo.

Bueno Purplepixies, lamentablemente ese es el estado general de la sociedad, no sólo en Latino América sino en casi todo el mundo. Aunque los latinos en general son una cultura mas rumbera que las demás, lo que creo que nos aísla aún mas a las personas con otros intereses, sin contar con la fobia social.

No lo mencionaste pero imagino que también te fastidia esa obsesión por el fútbol que tiene casi todo el mundo. Además de los temas propios de la carrera, en la universidad sólo hablan de eso, y yo ahí como: ¿historia? ¿ciencia? ¿ciencia ficción? ¿otro arte? ¿música que no sea fiestera? ¿videojuegos (que no sean de fútbol)? ¿nadie?....

los77

I'm Latina. I'm half Dominican and half Colombian.
I can't identify myself with Latinos at all which is horribly weird because I was raised in the Dominican Republic more than half my life (I was born here in NYC though).
The reason: I hate being stereotypical but it seems Latinos and specially Dominicans only care about paying their bills, eating, working, ****ing and partying. I have no Spanish friends who like to do things like visit a museum, go to an amusement park etc. They all sit and watch novelas while I'm home all alone watching re-runs of Doctor Who. Then the next day they speak about all the **** that happened on their stupid shows and I'm just like: *poker face*.
It sucks! I also find them dumb as hell. They never know nothing about nothing. It's like they been brain washed. I seriously rather be alone now days. I never liked them anyways. I was always treated like the last option to go out with to do what they call 'fun' things back in DR. I have really started to hate my own race for I can't seem to find anything in common to talk about. I'm also a unicorn or something for being Latina and being a virgin at age 20. I been a virgin by choice because I don't like Latino guys and White dudes don't approach me because I'm intimidating. I will forever be alone D:
I'm dragging now... going off topic but all I say are honest feelings of mines. I'm sorry if I offended anyone. I still love the smart, culturally diverse Latinos. And I would surely date one if only they showed interest in anything that wasn't clubbing, drinking, ****ing and watching bull**** TV. Siento mucho haber sido una total zorra pero es la purita verdad y ya no me da un pedo decirlo.

I understand where you are coming from but I think you are a bit extreme. I guess I can't speak for where you live but where I am there's people like that from every race, be it white, latino, black etc. Most people tend to follow the party lifestyle imposed by the media. I think you just have to be patient and don't put fit every latino you meet into this stereotype. My best friends are latino and we dont like clubbing, partying etc... With all that said, I'm not trying to suggest that you go out and try to find a latino friend, it's just my attempt to get you not to view every latino like that. If you already have friends that fit the description of what you look for then stick with them. You don't need to have friends from the same race