Anxiety caused by politics.

planetweirdo

It seems that lately politics in the U.S and the left vs. right thing have been causing me a great deal of anxiety. This is because there seem to be so much hatred and bitterness between the left and the right. I do not know if there is as much political unrest in other countries. I fear that there are people that would hate me just because I may disagree with their politics or voted for someone that they don't like. I try to avoid talking about politics with other people, and hardly ever talk about politics at all. But I still fear that someone may one day find out about my political views, or maybe assume that I belong to the political party that they hate.
What if someone that have always been a good friend to me find out that I don't agree with his politics and decides to end the friendship, or worst start hating me?
I don't hate anyone for disagreeing with me when it come to politics. I just figure that they disagree because they may view the world differently then I do. I often try to understand why people disagree so that maybe I can understand their point of view even if I don't agree with it. But I don't want people to hate me just because I disagree with them.
There are so many people on the internet and on TV that say such nasty things about people on the other side of the political spectrum. They vilify, demonize and reduce people to stereotypes. When I here people say things like who ever voted for #### is a idiot, and I voted for #### it makes me feel bad about my self. :sad:
No matter who you are or what you believe about politics there is probably someone out there that hates your guts for it.

Do anyone else worry about this sort of thing, or am I just being silly and paranoid?

Regret93

I think it's always been that way, people just need an excuse to argue because it fills some void for them. Every futile controversy is emphasized with today's technology and it's accessibility to information, don't believe the hype. If you aren't into politics to begin with, it's a lot easier to just disregard it.

Sacrament

If someone's going to get pissed at you for your political views, then they're not really worth hanging around with in the first place. Maybe your best bet is to simply know exactly why you support certain political parties and, if the conversation allows, explain why you agree with their views more than you agree with other parties. Don't expect anything less than what you are willing to give. If you're going to respect other people's opinions, even if they disagree with you, then that's what you deserve to receive from everyone else. If you get less than that, you have two choices: 1) calmly let them know that there's no reason for political bickering since you respect their opinion despite not matching yours, or 2) tell yourself that it's pointless to hang around people who get angry or bitter over something that doesn't require that kind of attitude, let them know how you feel (stand up for yourself at all times), and move on.

MollyBeGood

I find that due to anxiety it's really hard for me to voice and opinion about anything tbh. I don't like it when people don't like me, it's part of the problem with SA- We spend hrs mulling over things we said or should have said when the average person in this world doesn't give a crap about what they said 10 mins ago. It causes me to feel weak and I hate it because I have a right to voice my opinion too. I try to come out of my shell more on this forum and some people don't like me because of it but you cannot please everyone all of the time! I actually practice here lol :) it does help some in my real life situations. There will always be someone who voices their opinions on something that you don't agree with, I don't see the point in forever hiding my head in the sand around these people. I however rarely if ever start these kind of discussions. But if someone is being a racist for example I cannot stand to listen to it and by not saying anything you are agreeing to such things.

This Woody Harrelson doc changed how I view politics completely. He brings to light some amazingly good points about the whole game.

Woody Harrelson 'Ethos' Epic Documentary! Time to Unslave Humanity - YouTube

Try not to be too stressed out about it! I know how ya feel.

I like this Frank Zappa quote

"Politics is the entertainment division of the military industrial complex"

R3K

ha... I don't get anxiety from politics, I get excitement from it lol. I'm an army brat so I grew up pro-military republican/conservative. and when someone says it's so mean how we invade other countries i'm like whaaat? :question:. and then I try to go into these elaborate explanations of the grander geo-political justifications for why we invaded (insert mid east country) and the person/people i'm talking to just get this look in their eyes like i'm speaking Martian... like not normal Martian but deep south hemisphere Martian, where those crazy mo'fos wear overalls and eat bugs and sh*t.

political points of view are very closely connected to how a person was raised-- religion, military association etc... so when someone attacks their political point of view it's like attacking their soul.

anyway, I don't really try to change ppls' political view, but if they ask me i'll defend mine in an academic, non-vitriolic manner. for some reason it's very easy for me to talk about politics.

I think the more educated you are in the field, the less anxiety it will cause you, because you'll feel like you can explain your position intelligently when confronted on it. however, delivery (speaking in front of others) is another challenge entirely ::p:

Odo

Banned
I think it's always been that way, people just need an excuse to argue because it fills some void for them. Every futile controversy is emphasized with today's technology and it's accessibility to information, don't believe the hype. If you aren't into politics to begin with, it's a lot easier to just disregard it.

I think it has been getting worse, actually:

U.S. political polarization increasing, poll shows | Reuters

A lot of this is probably due to the internet, the fact that journalism is so focused on outrage and paranoia because it's what sells, and also the fact that major news networks have to compete with tiny blogs and youtube channels that get popular because they're willing to tell people whatever they want to hear. Also, documentaries that are constantly pointing to our impending doom.

But then, I don't think it necessarily means there isn't anything to worry about.

Odo

Banned
Personally, I have been known to spend way too much time getting into really stupid arguments on other sites from time to time. I have absolutely nothing to show for it except stress and frustration.

People who argue about politics aren't really willing to listen to different perspectives and are only ever looking to reinforce their own. It's simply a lot of 'us vs. them' where even if you do make legitimate points and 'win', it doesn't mean that you're always going to be right about everything or even that you're right about what your argument is-- it just means that you've managed to win a debate. And winning a debate isn't at all about finding out what's true or learning about things-- it's about showing someone else up or stroking your own ego. And at the end of it, all that happens is the person moves on and writes you off in order to make themselves feel better. They forget the entire argument and nothing really changes. I would even imagine they just get angrier... and probably just move onto someone else who can't express themselves as well. 'Us vs. them' is pretty much the oldest propaganda technique in existence but people keep getting caught up in it because it appeals to their identities and taps into their most primal emotions.

And what's more is your argument needs to be absolutely airtight because very few people are willing to be charitable (the point is humiliation, after all)... but the more you write, the more likely someone is to find something to attack, even if it doesn't relate to your central point... and then you've lost the whole argument and it's all about desperately punching holes in each other's comments, looking for weaknesses, mocking the other person, criticizing their sources, accusing their sources of being biased, etc.

The internet seems to exist in order to make everyone an expert on pretty much everything but when you add politics into the mix it turns into a vicious battle of egos.

On the other hand, the prospect of humiliation can drive you to read up on materials that support your argument and in that way debating can be informative, so long as you find credible sources and don't spend hours on a site that uses politics and fear to sell health food or something.

Last edited:

nicole1

I've let go of all political discussions. I feel that, especially with social media, discussing this is proving nothing to anyone and makes no influential change in the grand scheme of things. If I were to truly be involved and make an impact, I would actually take up a job or volunteer for an organization for the political party I support. I have no desire to do either; all I can do is vote. I have no interest.

Separating myself from the madness of politics has significantly lowered related anger, anxiety, and agression. I use to experience almost like a boiling sensation whenever I discussed this or saw something that I found absolutely idiotic. Now, I'm fine and I care not. We are all entitled to our beliefs and I have learned many are set in their ways and it would take much more than an online word fight to change that.

Let it go. Nothing to prove. Just vote.

planetweirdo

Thanks for your replies !

, it's part of the problem with SA- We spend hrs mulling over things we said or should have said when the average person in this world doesn't give a crap about what they said 10 mins ago.

That's so true.

anyway, I don't really try to change ppls' political view, but if they ask me i'll defend mine in an academic, non-vitriolic manner. for some reason it's very easy for me to talk about politics.

I fear that even if you try to defend your view in the most polite and academic manner possible, some people will still flip-out on you and start name calling and hating.

planetweirdo

Personally, I have been known to spend way too much time getting into really stupid arguments on other sites from time to time. I have absolutely nothing to show for it except stress and frustration.

People who argue about politics aren't really willing to listen to different perspectives and are only ever looking to reinforce their own. It's simply a lot of 'us vs. them' where even if you do make legitimate points and 'win', it doesn't mean that you're always going to be right about everything or even that you're right about what your argument is-- it just means that you've managed to win a debate. And winning a debate isn't at all about finding out what's true or learning about things-- it's about showing someone else up or stroking your own ego. And at the end of it, all that happens is the person moves on and writes you off in order to make themselves feel better. They forget the entire argument and nothing really changes. I would even imagine they just get angrier... and probably just move onto someone else who can't express themselves as well. 'Us vs. them' is pretty much the oldest propaganda technique in existence but people keep getting caught up in it because it appeals to their identities and taps into their most primal emotions.

And what's more is your argument needs to be absolutely airtight because very few people are willing to be charitable (the point is humiliation, after all)... but the more you write, the more likely someone is to find something to attack, even if it doesn't relate to your central point... and then you've lost the whole argument and it's all about desperately punching holes in each other's comments, looking for weaknesses, mocking the other person, criticizing their sources, accusing their sources of being biased, etc.

That's why I see no point in trying to argue with people about politics. But I still find it so annoying when someone on the internet brings up politics just so that they can insult and muck people, or make gross generalizations.

that's why you can be a moderate like me :)

I thank that I am actually becoming a moderate. I'm a lot more moderate now then I used to be.

R3K

I fear that even if you try to defend your view in the most polite and academic manner possible, some people will still flip-out on you and start name calling and hating.

i'm always defending my position these days lol... it seems just the act of defensively explaining my political orientation is somehow a grave, venom-laced assault on everyone else's. but i'm able to stay objective about it and not take it personally. that's the trick... let them fume about how they hate your view, but just keep telling them you're okay with theirs and that discussing politics is just academic exercise for you.

RegalSin

Politics have been like this forever. Just ignore it and look away.

Just remember
Everybody has the right of privacy and the patriot act should be removed as well as anti-internet-privacy laws.

Everybody has the right of freedom of speech and just remember everything on the internet is not an real source of information. Meaning everything including this forum.

If you feel the need to participate. Go to your city council or even stand outside and "civilly assemble" in front of some place of information. "City council" is the place where all of this stuff goes down, asides "community assembly".

Otherwise vote. The least you can do.

Husgen

Im sure there s a lot peoples who feel like you !! Think diferently than the majority is ok. The problem isnt on you, the problem is on peoples who dont accepts the differences. And, actually, many peoples do like that cause since we all born, we learn to dont accept what is different than what the media and standards of society teach us. Keep as you are , the world need peoples who thinks different than the majority ! If you belive by heart you are following a good belive, keep on it and dont let no one down you. I dont know about where you live, but in some countries the vote is secret, it means you dont need say to no one about your vote. If you want know my opinion, to some peoples its better dont talk about those things cause they are so much ignorant, talk about silly things with this such peoples . Spend your energy with who desserve hear what you have to say . :)

If someone's going to get pissed at you for your political views, then they're not really worth hanging around with in the first place.
^Exactly.:thumbup:

political points of view are very closely connected to how a person was raised-- religion, military association etc... so when someone attacks their political point of view it's like attacking their soul.
^Very true.

I find it sad that some people can't or won't see what the created political divide is for.:sad:
"Divide and Conquer"! ......A very effective, proven tool used for centuries by the people who run the whole show.
The Tribal chiefs, Kings/Queens, Pharaohs, Military dictators, Corporations.....

AndreSossi

I've stopped watching the news about a year ago and I can tell you that I felt much much better. Politicians, market speculators and media are a deadly combination that breads anxiety.

Kiwong

It causes me anxiety that the greedy policies of Governments are threatening the things I care about like the environment. People who don't care for nature and the environment aren't going to get along very well with me.

Last edited: