Alone for 4th of July?

ShyChild

Can't decide which is worse:

Being home all alone & having to listen to neighbors having a good ole time

Or

Driving 6 hours all together just to visit family & feel chasticized about recent 20 lb weight gain

IGotSeoul

not sure about you, but i'm going to kick back and order a couple pizzas because 3/3 times they've been an hour late this time of year, resulting in no charge.

i do tip the delivery man generously though.

simpsons2007

You could stay at home put some headphones on and listen to music that way you won't hear your neighbours and still be able to watch fireworks out your window.

MrJones

Here we don't celebrate 4th of July (obviously) but last week was Sant Joan, wich is said to be one of the funniest, happiest night of the year, with fireworks and all that stuff...
I did the first one, but maybe if you try to do something else you'll find out that it's not as bad as you expected.

WeirdyMcGee

I'm alone for Canada day and it's really not a big deal.
One good thing is that most restaurants have deals on Canada day weekend, so if I wanted to order out (and actually had money) it would be cheap.

I couldn't see any fireworks from the windows last night but I could hear them going off everywhere- which bothered me a bit, since it felt like the world was exploding.

I always feel completely and utterly alone, so it's not really a big deal if I'm alone on a holiday since it's just like every other day.
If you can go out, then go. If you don't want to, then don't. No sense in whining about it either way, though~ there's plenty of people in the world who have it worse.

Feathers

hm, how about getting together with a friend or some other relatives (who don't want to go to a 'big do'?)

or making some other plans...? dunno, volunteer at a shelter or animal shelter or what? see if there are any 'alternative' or low-key events? Poetry readings/gallery openings/artsy things/etc?

Paahi

not sure about you, but i'm going to kick back and order a couple pizzas because 3/3 times they've been an hour late this time of year, resulting in no charge.

i do tip the delivery man generously though.
I would do this^

LazyHermitCrab

The first choice sounds better to me, but if you feel incredibly bored then the second one. You could wake up early, go biking or something, watch a couple movies, and try to tire yourself out so you will go bed early, and you won't hear people really if youre sleeping.

ShyChild

Leaning towards getting a movie and making my own pizza, but we'll see. Just the whole idea of being alone on holidays is beginning to bother me more & more now. What scares me the most is that if it's always going to be like this. I don't want it to be.

IGotSeoul

Leaning towards getting a movie and making my own pizza, but we'll see. Just the whole idea of being alone on holidays is beginning to bother me more & more now. What scares me the most is that if it's always going to be like this. I don't want it to be.

I see.

If there's something restraining against what you feel, then you know it's a problem.

Some people prefer/enjoy being alone or with a small group of others on certain holidays and, without anxiety, would probably continue with that preference - give or take some details.

But if you desire to spend time outside with other people, you should definitely work towards that instead.

ShyChild

I've gotten to the point where I can handle small groups now. That'd be nice, but I really don't have any friends to do something with.

If I went to visit my family, they always go out to the same big party with the same snobby people there. I actually pushed myself to go with them one year & had a couple unpleasant interactions.

Kathryn.fr

I'm going to some place called browns camp to drink and light off illegals... I wasn't going to do anything but my roomies thought it was sad to leave me all by myself.

coyote

tomorrow night is the anniversary of my wedding to my second ex-wife

seems i'll be spending it alone, unless i can find a date