Alcohol as a temporary fix

I had a meeting the other day with a client and, during lunch, had a couple drinks with him which obviously made everything go a lot more smoothly. Does anyone else find that alcohol significantly reduces the anxiety they normally get interacting with people? It's obviously not a permanent solution, as excessive use or reliance on it would introduce a whole other world of problems, but I've found that even after two beers or a coctail I feel like the person I wish I could be when I'm sober in terms of how easily I'm able to speak to other people while still not being "drunk" where my inebriation is self evident.

philly2bits

I don't drink much, but when I do I've noticed that it doesn't so much reduce anxiety as it lowers my mental barriers. My mind doesn't feel stuck like it normally does in a social setting. I'm able to comfortably engage in conversation where otherwise I would bogged down by my own thoughts.

Part of the reason I don't drink much may have something to do with it. I feel I should take on those situations myself, without any type of aid. Almost like it's cheating myself in a way. If I manage to be sociable with alcohol, it almost feels like I accomplished nothing at all, since without the alcohol I would be my usual self.

Qbmaster

It works very well for me, but I have to drink a lot before my shyness disappears. Sometimes, if I only have one or two drinks, it can even make it worse. It is nice to feel what it would be like to be free of SA, but being drunk of course also has other side effects that stop me from using this as a permanent solution. I only drink occasionally.

U

userremoved

Yeah it has the same effect on me too. However I can't drink around other people if they're not doing it also. If I do then I end up feeling just as awkward as I would have been sober.

AimeeSP

Yeah i feel the same. I hardly drink only when i'm invited out to partys and really wanna go but too scared, so i have a few drinks and then am alright. :)

Kustamogen

Banned
Alcohol makes my issues worse...I feel weird and keep focusing on how I feel and that drives me into a panic attack

lol so thats why I havent had alcohol in almost 10yrs

This is an extremely dumb question, but maybe they could make some sort of medication that centers around the chemical in alcohol that makes people sort of fearless

davidburke

This is an extremely dumb question, but maybe they could make some sort of medication that centers around the chemical in alcohol that makes people sort of fearless

that could be quite addictive so i don't think that would a good idea

well after working out all of those different side effects i mean. Im sure the military has done something like tht already jneal. Alcohol has been around for centuries. lol. I couldnt be the first one with an idea like that

Yeah, I definitely feel better in social situations when I've had a drink or two because I can relax enough to stop being so overcritical of myself and stop over-analyzing everything.

Just makes me want to bring a six pack to work everyday lol ...jusssst kiddinnnnng.

Problem is, when people ask me if I want to go out for a drink after work, I'm so exhausted from being anxious all day that I usually turn them down...and if I could just go out with them and socialize I'd feel more comfortable when we're actually at work...vicious cycle.

I feel I should take on those situations myself, without any type of aid. Almost like it's cheating myself in a way. If I manage to be sociable with alcohol, it almost feels like I accomplished nothing at all, since without the alcohol I would be my usual self.

I agree with this. I've never tried drinking that much, the most I've had at any one time is two beers/wine coolers- and with food, I don't drink a drop unless I'm eating something because it upsets my stomach too much. I don't think I want to know what I would be like if I drank a lot (for good or for bad), I need to learn to "loosen up" around people without the aid of something like alcohol. And part of me thinks that I might just get addicted to it if I weren't careful.

DanFC

Alcohol is a great fix for me; I still feel my usual feelings I would but it's like the gates of my mind are opened. Unfortunately, because I'm so messed up socially sober, I lose any contacts and temporary friends I could make so I end up drinking alone just to forget myself.

Kat

I have never been drunk and because of my family history of drunks and drug addicts, I not only have a phobia being around people but especially being around people that self abuse themselves with it.

Krista

I don't care for drinking much, at all. Sometimes at a party I will but it never makes me feel good or more carefree. I will only do it if I'm around friends that I absolutely trust and if it's a gathering that where in for the long haul(all night) because it makes me feel like I don't have control over myself sometimes. I'd much rather smoke a blunt to be honest.

ou2saved2

I really feel bad that I did not deal with my S.P. better than I did it seems I may be the only drunk S.P. in the forum.