Afraid Of People : A Documentary On Social Anxiety

Feathers

Thank you for posting this! :) NI & Smallers!

It's really awesome too watch, though also sometimes very difficult to watch, cause I can recognize so much of myself... And I keep thinking, this would need to be undertitled and shown to my mum/parents/people in our country... and worldwide.. And it's difficult, because so much of it rings so eerily familar..
(sometimes I have to stop and do something or eat something, then I can watch again..)

I don't agree with everything they say (I mean, antidepressants for a 7-year-old girl?? C'mon!!) and I haven't watched all of it yet, but THANK YOU! I think everyone would need to watch this, teachers at schools too, etc. (and students at universities, experts and 'ordinary people'...)

Does anyone know when it was made?

JamesSmith

This video reminded me of how much courage people have that have SAD. They still go out to the store or even work full-time jobs even though they are so uncomfortable and afraid. It shows how strong humans can be. It helped me realize that just showing up to work every day is an accomplishment in itself, just having the guts to be around people is a big deal for SAD people.

DespairSoul

@Feathers

Yes everyone should see it i agree with u whole world, those videos should have more views as some "raper" or "singers" to understand to us population! That we can together understand each other and don't be enemies. Should be seminars about it in every school and work etc. would be good to let others know about it and caring more.

Last edited:

JamesSmith

@Feathers

Yes everyone should see it i agree with u whole world, those videos should have more views as some "raper" or "singers" to understand to us population! That we can together understand each other and don't be enemies. Should be seminars about it in every school and work etc. would be good to let others know about it and caring more.

This is so true. If more non-SAD people understood us better, then there wouldn't be so much hate and negativity towards us. I noticed that many people make assumptions that we aren't talking to people because we think we are better than them, or they think we are losers because we don't talk to people very much. If only they knew that we are afraid and it's difficult for us to even show up to a place that has people in it.

DespairSoul

@ James

Yes James, people really are negative toward us isn't just imagine and that we create the issues. I prove it many times, if i was nice and trying communicate and was still nerves people was looking me cross anyway. If i would be calm totally and confident this will not happen only for one reason coz i will not "notice" in my selfishness as people are. A lot of people don't care about us but a lot of them notice as "negativity" coz we don't communicate, we don't go around for parties, we don't hang for coffees, we don't go at weekend out etc. >assumptions> "She/he is so so weird freak in my case maybe i'm shaking if i go out for example, that i'm alcoholic or narkoman really cheerful if u know they can really create those scenarios about u which aren't true.

talisman

Good videos, thanks for posting them. It's pretty sad to see people suffering the same or worse than you. :(

Deus_Ex_Lemur

Thanks for posting. Saw this a parts on TV years ago - forgot about it always wanted to find it again.

Here's a slightly better quality version/4 parts:

YouTube - Afraid of People - part 1 of 4.mov

Really powerful if you have SAD. I am man enough to admit a tear or two when the one lady started crying when she saw the TV commercial about SAD and she finally had a name for what she had.

Nl54

Thanks for posting. Saw this a parts on TV years ago - forgot about it always wanted to find it again.

Here's a slightly better quality version/4 parts:

YouTube - Afraid of People - part 1 of 4.mov

Really powerful if you have SAD. I am man enough to admit a tear or two when the one lady started crying when she saw the TV commercial about SAD and she finally had a name for what she had.

Yw welcome for the vid, people! Glad it's helping you all and giving some insight. And thanks to this poster for finding a better quality version.

The Nephilim

Oops, posted this vid under treatment and it wasn't seen.

It's a really good doco. I felt so sorry for that guy James. I was especially interested to hear about the psychologist that had SA.

Feathers

Yeah, it's really great!

The psychologist - me too.. She was so brave and I thought, wow, that's someone who really knows what she's speaking about, I thought it would be much easier for someone with sa to go to someone like that, and maybe later switch to a 'braver' therapist, if that makes sense?

I'd only like to say that I don't believe everyone needs meds, the more important part is therapy and change of thinking, for some people both together can be a good start, some can probably do allright and make changes without meds too (I know cause I've made changes in the past without meds or 'real' therapy, with self-coaching with good books and taking action..)

Deus_Ex_Lemur

Yeah, it's really great!

The psychologist - me too.. She was so brave and I thought, wow, that's someone who really knows what she's speaking about, I thought it would be much easier for someone with sa to go to someone like that, and maybe later switch to a 'braver' therapist, if that makes sense?

I'd only like to say that I don't believe everyone needs meds, the more important part is therapy and change of thinking, for some people both together can be a good start, some can probably do allright and make changes without meds too (I know cause I've made changes in the past without meds or 'real' therapy, with self-coaching with good books and taking action..)

I agree. That being said - ppl have different levels of SAD, other issues, and experiences. Meds may benefit some. And many dont stay on them. What dont want to do, is rely on them and ONLY take them - as I believe the real key is your thoughts, behavior, etc. This video does good on sort of balancing between that (biological aspect) and psychological aspect like CBT.

Phoenixx

Awesome documentary, thanks for posting! So far, I've only watched the first part you posted. Definitely planning on watching the rest.

StandingJelly

well I've watched it, but it seems to suggest that we still can't avoid the fact that we need to get professional help.

So the reason behind it is that neurons can't communicate serotonin? And if exercise helps, wouldn't exercising help most of us, since I don't think those who are suffering to that degree is completely limited in relaying the chemical.