A question for the girls!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Felgen

Poppycock, (I just wanted to use this expression)

I'm not in the US and my best friend is Norweigan and what you're saying is total crap. haha no offence. But it is. In fact she's a complete gym junkie as are all the norweigans I know, all very body conscious.
People are the same the world over, no matter where they're from and I am telling you women are always under more pressure to look a certain way no matter where they're from.

That's an outdated stereotype. Both Norwegian men and women are suckers for ham sandwiches, cheap pizza and cakes. Italian, Spanish and Greek men all say the same about Norwegian women: They're getting fatter. You should see the food that people buy in the cafeteria at the local university.

People say that women are under more pressure to look good because it used to be that way back when Marilyn Monroe was alive, because feminists have been voicing their opinion way more than masculists and because people have no idea how much effort it takes to get buff.

Are you kidding me? Gymnastics are intense!!! It builds muscle! believe me! Male gymnasts probably have minus bodyfat hahaha,

Professional gymnasts, sprinters, NFL players and karate champions all do weight lifting on the side.

MikeyC

But anyway at the end of it all, women definitely have a lot more pressure to look a certain way and the majority of women work harder to alter their appearance and are a lot more conscious.
As much as men have to work hard for muscles, and as much as I'm self-conscious about my appearance, women certainly do have it harder. No thanks to the media.

Moa

Good grief, this thread has turned into quite the train wreck. :(

With regards to fitness... there are so many different theories as to what works and what doesn't. One study will "prove" something, another study will "disprove" that same thing. Do we really have to argue about it, when nutritionists and exercise scientists aren't even sure?

Jewel... thanks for all your posts, there were a few that made me smile. :)

MikeyC

With regards to fitness... there are so many different theories as to what works and what doesn't. One study will "prove" something, another study will "disprove" that same thing. Do we really have to argue about it, when nutritionists and exercise scientists aren't even sure?
There's about twelve million different diets out there, all claiming to work, all claiming the others won't, all claiming you have to do minimal exercise and undergo minimal suffering for maximum gain. Will not happen.

That's an outdated stereotype. Both Norwegian men and women are suckers for ham sandwiches, cheap pizza and cakes. Italian, Spanish and Greek men all say the same about Norwegian women: They're getting fatter. You should see the food that people buy in the cafeteria at the local university.

more poppycock.

Women are the same the world over and Norwegian women are no different to any other women and you're just being a big offensive person. I know this because I spend approx 40% of my time with Norwegians. You're comments are just about how you view women, The fatter sex and all as we may be we can still manage to sufficiently lift our chubby feet to kick @ss in response to comments like the above;)

Mr.Prez

Sorry didn't read the entire thread, but I just wanted to say that girls are more attractive then they think or give themselves credit for. You don't need to look like a supermodel or a celebrity in order to be considered "hot" or "cute".

In terms of fitness, I know that this is a SA forum so my next suggestion isn't for everyone, but I have yet to see anything more effective fitnesswise than Zumba. I've seen people lose 60 lbs in a year doing Zumba. It is ridiculously addictive and fun, and if you do a class, you'll end up meeting other people and making friends. Also, it helps you feel better because it releases endorphins.

(this post maybe slightly biased as I'm a Zumba instructor)

Felgen

more poppycock.

Women are the same the world over and Norwegian women are no different to any other women and you're just being a big offensive person. I know this because I spend approx 40% of my time with Norwegians. You're comments are just about how you view women, The fatter sex and all as we may be we can still manage to sufficiently lift our chubby feet to kick @ss in response to comments like the above;)

95% of the people I spend time with are Norwegians. While most Norwegian men aren't fit either (the only difference between them and American men is that they're more likely to be blond), but the women here in Norway pays significantly less attention to their apperance than they did just 15 years ago. If my comments are misgyonistic, then your comments misandristic.

Simple logic says that it's harder to do both heavy cardio and heavy weightlifting for two years than going on moderate cardio for a few months. Ony pound of fat isn't worth more than 3500 calories. So it doesn't take that long to reach 20% bodyfat.

Moa

There's about twelve million different diets out there, all claiming to work, all claiming the others won't, all claiming you have to do minimal exercise and undergo minimal suffering for maximum gain. Will not happen.

Exactly. People need to focus less on losing weight and more on just being healthy.

As a side note... I started weight lifting and eating a healthy diet in the spring. I now weigh more than ever! BUT no one would ever know it... I've dropped a dress size. Muscle weighs more than fat. :)

(this post maybe slightly biased as I'm a Zumba instructor)

If calorie expenditure is greater than calorie intake, people will lose weight. Losing weight isn't always a good thing... losing FAT is what most people want.

@Felgen

well I can't speak for American because I'm not American and I don't live in America but of the countries I have been too I can say people are the same the world over, men are men and women are women. And the science is the same.

A woman would have to work a hell of a lot harder to reach 5 % body fat than a man would because women naturally have a higher fat:muscle ratio then men regardless of what their diet is.

And for a woman to reach 12% body fat is the same as for a man to reach 5%

Moa

If a woman did reach 5% body fat, she would stop menstruating because it would completely disrupt her natural hormone levels!

Felgen

If a woman did reach 5% body fat, she would stop menstruating because it would completely disrupt her natural hormone levels!

Yes, which is why most magazines don't show cover girls with less than 18% body fat.

coyote

some of the best parts of a woman are made mostly of fat

why would we want them to be decreased?

Felgen

@Felgen

well I can't speak for American because I'm not American and I don't live in America but of the countries I have been too I can say people are the same the world over, men are men and women are women. And the science is the same.

A woman would have to work a hell of a lot harder to reach 5 % body fat than a man would because women naturally have a higher fat:muscle ratio then men regardless of what their diet is.

And for a woman to reach 12% body fat is the same as for a man to reach 5%

Nobody said anything about a woman having 5% body fat (quite frankly, I don't think it's possible) or 12% for that matter. Like I've said countless times: A female actress, cover girl (not a fashion model) and so on has 18-20%. The vast majority of all males with visible abs have less than 8% body fat, which is very hard to reach while at the same time retaining muscle mass.

Nobody said anything about a woman having 5% body fat (quite frankly, I don't think it's possible) or 12% for that matter. Like I've said countless times: A female actress, cover girl (not a fashion model) and so on has 18-20%. The vast majority of all males with visible abs have less than 8% body fat, which is very hard to reach while at the same time retaining muscle mass.

yes but you said that it was harder for a man to get to 8% than for a woman to get to 18%

I was merely making a point-IT'S NOT!!!

Felgen

yes but you said that it was harder for a man to get to 8% than for a woman to get to 18%

I was merely making a point

Reaching 6-8% (which is what male models tend to have) while at the same time keeping muscle mass for a man is harder than for a woman to reach 18%--as she won't have to think about preserving muscle mass. 18% is only slightly less than the ideal bodyfat percentage. 8% is barely half the ideal body fat percentage of a man.

Most girls if they burned 300 calories a day would lose about 20 lbs of fat in 6 months. Most female underwear models don't excercise harder than this, with the rather masculine fashion models you see on the catwalk being the exception and not the rule.

Last edited:
well actually that's not exactly true, female models are required to be lean and toned and it takes the same effort for women to become toned as it does for men to become built.

Now I'm going to give felgen a hug... oh what the hell LETS ALL HUG FELGEN!!!!! :)

Moa

Do you realize how arbitrary body fat measurements are?

There are very few accurate ways to measure it.

A person's body fat can appear to fluctuate based on the water levels in their body.

And two people can have the EXACT SAME percentage of body fat, yet one can appear much leaner than the other.

Why? Because they have different bone structures, different lean mass, different storage places in their body.

It's a useless measurement, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.