Yes, I do this sometimes (well we do, so I'm telling him that) and I get a bit of "what did you say" from the family. I liken it to making scissor finger movements when looking for scissors (oh why did you have to tell him that?)
:rolleyes:

benno

Yup, I also do this. I concur on the part with the compensation. On Some days I won't speak more than a few words with others, so it helps me freeing my mind by talking all my thoughts out, even if its only to myself.

I also don't think there are actually other persons around whom I'm talking to. So I don't worry about it.

lunaticbinge

Yup, I also do this. I concur on the part with the compensation. On Some days I won't speak more than a few words with others, so it helps me freeing my mind by talking all my thoughts out, even if its only to myself.

I also don't think there are actually other persons around whom I'm talking to. So I don't worry about it.
This is exactly how I am. Glad to see i'm not the only one.
no I don't do that but if why don't you just send people im's and stuff and be a good conversation starter and hold a conversation and thats how you get people talking to you more and more. Hope I helped. I have noticed you posting stuff like you were really wanting people to talk to you.

Edit: sorry if I am not making any sense...I didn't go to sleep till 5 in the morning and now I am up. ughhhh

You're making sense to me.;) It's not that I want people to talk to me, it's that I want to be able to initiate conversation. The problem with sending people private messages and whatnot is that not only can I never think of something to say, but when I do type something out I just think to myself "This is stupid, why would i say this? Why would anyone care about what I have to say?" and then I just end up not sending it. ::eek:: Even around fellow social phobics my issues loom.

It's not just people that have SA that do it, I mean I do it alot. But I know people that do it constantly (I'm always watching). No but seriously I think it's normal.

I'm Not There

I've been talking to myself for pretty much my entire life. I don't talk like theres some imaginary person there or anything, it's just like thinking out loud all of the time. Obviously I never do it in public, or where anyone might possible hear me, so i'd say i'm not a full-on psycho yet. xD I'm no psychologist, but i'm betting that it's my mind compensating for an extreme lack of social interaction. Nothing better to make you feel like a complete looney though, right? Does anyone else do this? Thoughts?

I could've written this, I've been doing that my entire life as well. Whenever I'm sure there's nobody around I often just start saying my thoughts out loud. I sometimes even repeat the same stuff over and over again, as if I'm running out of things to say to myself.

Having read what I just said, it does seem kind of weird doing this. I hope the repeating thing hasn't got anything to do with OCD...

EscapeArtist

I used to do this but figured out it was a part of my allergy so i dont anymore..
But I used to wake up, and start mumbling stories as I was getting ready for school (anxious for school), first I would think up a situation like "What if this girl married a cow" and then I'd be mumbling everything that happens, and 30 minutes later I would realize what i've been doing.

this probably isn't even relevant ha..

arsenalwa

I've been talking to myself for pretty much my entire life. I don't talk like theres some imaginary person there or anything, it's just like thinking out loud all of the time. Obviously I never do it in public, or where anyone might possible hear me, so i'd say i'm not a full-on psycho yet. xD I'm no psychologist, but i'm betting that it's my mind compensating for an extreme lack of social interaction. Nothing better to make you feel like a complete looney though, right? Does anyone else do this? Thoughts?
This.
You're making sense to me.;) It's not that I want people to talk to me, it's that I want to be able to initiate conversation. The problem with sending people private messages and whatnot is that not only can I never think of something to say, but when I do type something out I just think to myself "This is stupid, why would i say this? Why would anyone care about what I have to say?" and then I just end up not sending it. ::eek:: Even around fellow social phobics my issues loom.
This.
Yep, I think it's normal for anybody. It's like you said, it's just thinking out loud. It seems to have more meaning when you speak your thoughts to yourself rather than just think of them. If I didn't talk to myself, I'd probably lose grasp of the English language.
It's funny (read: sucks), when I talk to myself, my full personality comes out that I'm not able to show anyone else. I'm the only one who gets to see my full personality.
And this.

Related to the second part I quoted, another thing is, you see, even most of the time here I reply to stuff by saying things like, "this" "me too" "same here" etc. cause I don't feel like there is anything I can add to the thread that would be of any real importance or sound nearly intelligent. So I just let people do the posting and just agree with what I relate to most.

lunaticbinge

It's funny (read: sucks), when I talk to myself, my full personality comes out that I'm not able to show anyone else. I'm the only one who gets to see my full personality.
This may be the most relatable thing i've heard here.
Related to the second part I quoted, another thing is, you see, even most of the time here I reply to stuff by saying things like, "this" "me too" "same here" etc. cause I don't feel like there is anything I can add to the thread that would be of any real importance or sound nearly intelligent. So I just let people do the posting and just agree with what I relate to most.
This. xD

awkwardamanda

I often worry that I'm accidentally going to say my thoughts out loud. Or sometimes I'll mumble my thoughts quietly and then I'm like, "Dammit! Don't say that too loud!":confused:

Aussie_Lad

I used to work with a lady who would walk around the office talking to herself. It was interesting to listen to her do this, but no-one really paid any attention unless it was particularly relevant to them.

I tend to narrate things I do in my head. It's rather silly. Funny thing is that my inside voice is actually in English. What are the odds. x3

Kiwong

Well, I am alone most of the time with noone around so I do talk to myself. I also continue this at work and aorund town. It is hard to remember to stop talking to myself when there are people around.

Do it all the time. Like you, alone. Thoughts? Yeah, they are thoughts.

MaliceInWickedland

I don't think there's anything wrong with talking to yourself. I do it all the time.
I'm the same as lunaticbinge, I think my thoughts aloud, not talk to an imaginary person - just to clarify so I don't sound schizophrenic or something xD

hoddesdon

There is a difference between thinking out loud and talking to yourself. I think it shades into the latter when it expands to become a monologue and\or you picture yourself talking to a particular person (?)

I have done the former for some time, but only occasionally, and had been doing the latter for a relatively short time before going on a Behavioural Cognitive Therapy course in the middle of this year at Macquarie University in Sydney. I am not sure what the connection between the two is.