You're talking to a stranger, and look them in the eyes as they look back at yours...

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
Whatdoyoudonext?
It really depends. If this is, say, at a check-out at a store then I'll generally try to avoid eye contact, or at most do the seemingly obligatory meeting of eyes for a split second.

If it's a situation where I'll have to deal with the person later, I'll try to do the social dance of making just the right amount of eye contact and hope I'm doing it right.

Newtype

You need to stay focused on what the person is saying. Keep looking at their eyes or face, just try not to think that you're doing it. I do that and it helps enormously.

Why

hard for me to sincerely smile at strangers so i do some awkward grin or blank face

EscapeArtist

I agree with the 'focus on what they're saying' thing. Otherwise I end up trying to have a staring contest. I end up observing the person's facial features, or eye colour, I guess to dehumanize them, in the end I don't remember what they said.

Depends on who the stranger is. If it's a girl I think is cute/hot, then I look at then differently from a middle age balding man. Usually I try to keep a firm gaze and smile in a way that implies what I am thinking (attracting, friendliness, politeness, disapointment, etc.)

Liberty

Banned
I agree with the 'focus on what they're saying' thing. Otherwise I end up trying to have a staring contest. I end up observing the person's facial features, or eye colour, I guess to dehumanize them, in the end I don't remember what they said.

If they're talking I look at them, if not just look wherever.

U

userremoved

My eyes start burning for some reason. I still haven't figured this one out yet. :confused:

WorldEndsWithMe

Well, I normally don't even look my friends in the eye, let alone strangers. If we make eye contact I normally just look away, or try and look through them at some point behind them.

I remember my eye contact issues started because these guys in my class were talking about how my eyes were weird-looking... I don't know if they wanted me to overhear them or not, but I did and now I don't really like making eye contact because I'm worried everyone else will think I have "weird looking eyes". And actually, after those guys a few other people have told me I have "interesting" eyes, or strange eyes... =(