WWOOFing with Social Anxiety

Corrina

Has anyone ever thought about getting involved in WWOOF, where you help out on someone's farm a few hours a day in exchange for free room and board? I know the thought of living with a complete stranger may seem crazy for someone with SA, but I really want to try it, especially since my SA seems to be improving a little with the help of my medication. It would be a relatively cheap way to travel and see a part of the country I never have, and it would allow me to learn more about farming, since I want to learn how to grow my own food.

I could do it for a couple of weeks this summer before I go back to college. The problem is, I have no idea how to bring it up to my mom. She is very worrisome and overprotective, and I know she would not want me traveling by myself to live with strangers. She's having enough trouble accepting that I'm moving out and to another town to finish college (despite the town being only about 18 miles away). Also, prospective volunteers have to pay a $30 fee to be able to search for farms on its website. I can manage the money for a bus ticket if I know it's a sure thing, but $30 is a lot for me to dish out with no guarantee that I'll find a suitable host. But the urge is so strong, I really want to do it. Truth be told, I have led a rather boring life. I'm almost 30 and have hardly gone anywhere or done anything fun, and I figure this is my opportunity to see and do something new and exciting.

Anyway, I was just wondering if any of you have heard of WWOOF (which stands for World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms) and, if so, if you have thought about getting involved as a person with SA?

Last edited:

LazyHermitCrab

Yes you should try it. It's only a couple of weeks and you could make new friends. If it doesn't go well you can move back home and forget about it. I think it will be awesome though. You're going green :p maybe you will get a real job afterwards. I'm planning on doing some organic gardening myself, but i'd rather chill with my parents during college aka in my room alone mostly.

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
Yeah you should definitely do it. I've never done this specifically, but I did travel alone for a while, and though it was extremely hard at the beginning, in the end it has surely been the most revealing experience I've ever had. So far.

Last edited:

selon

Go for it, definitely! You seem to feel so strongly about this that you would always regret it if you didn't try (I speak from experience!).

Corrina

Thanks for the replies. Of course I would thoroughly check out any potential hosts before agreeing to volunteer for them. I know there are a lot of crazies out there.

I just want to do something exciting and kinda wild (how many folks go off to live and work on a farm just for the fun of it?) before I turn 30, which is approaching quickly.