Would you have a long distance relationship?

Personally I've never really seen to point of dating. Spending time together I understand, but you can also get to know each other by having coffee at someone's house, or by simply talking to him/her wherever you happen to meant. Why make a big out-of-character event of it? I wouldn't feel right trying to impress someone, or being impressed, by the location and activity we take part at/in. But that's just me, no offense, of course.

I am currently in a long distance relationship. Maybe it's because I don't know better, but I don't find it too difficult. Things like Skype and online games surely take the edge off in terms of not being able to spend time together. It's no replacement by any means, but at least it's something. We don't see each other much, though. I just came back from a visit, and it was the first time at that. We did agree to meet at least once a year.

I noticed it can be difficult to read someone after a while when contact is exclusively over voice-chat or phone. Friction, arguments and misunderstanding are damn near guaranteed if you don't pay close enough attention.

All in all, there can be difficulties, but non of which I've seen as deal breakers.

I was in a long distance relationship for 3 years until just a couple months ago when my girlfriend decided the distance was too much for her. I highly doubt I'd be willing to try that again any time soon.

Tiercel

But how much of a headache should a relationship be? ;)

It's always been my understanding that a woman is supposed to give a man a headache, and vice versa. That must be why I've avoided them for 30+ years now. Then again, I've also thought that marrying a woman who knows no English would be in some ways ideal for me. So what do I really know?

Though my aunt married a South American man she met while travelling around the world on business, so I won't say that they can't work.

Invisibleman

Ive thought about it in the past,there was this girl I knew that moved to south carolina.I talked to her and it was going great until she went crazy and became obsessed with me and tried to find out where I live and my phone number. I blocked her and never looked back....:D

ScaredToBreathe

i would rather not have a long distance relationship, but if i liked the person enough and i thought it could actually work out, i'd give it a chance.

im not sure how id make it work, but i guess id talk to him online a lot and ask him about his day and how things are goin, share pictures and vids, and just try to keep up-to-date with whats going on in his life since id be far away. and try to fit a get-together or a date maybe every month or 2 or so depending how far away we live... and if it got too complicated we'd have to move closer or break it off

leave_me_alone

LDRs are hard and painful, but it is only the choice i got right now. When you feel very special about someone, it might be worth the wait.

vexatiousmind

If I felt the person and I could really have something special, and I knew it wasn't going to be long distance forever, then yes.

Kat

You take your chances with any kind of relationship. I don’t think you really know the ins and outs of a person until you have lived for them for some time and even then people can change. My mum and dad are doing better now then what they were when me and my sister were kids. I think it is hard for people to judge when to give up and when to keep going. You’re unlikely to find the person you can work with straight away but then again years later down the track that person may have changed and be the right person for you. It’s all chance. That's how I met the person I am with:)

this_portrait

While I do believe that LDRs can work (I know of one that has been going on for quite a few years now), it's not something for me. I would miss my significant other way too much.