why exposure or facing fears is difficult

hardy

we multiply fears if we roll in thoughts and react to unpleasant sensations...if we can somehow be present to the situation instead of rolling in thoughts of fear and reacting to the unpleasant fear sensations, we can cut the root....it will take a lot of effort, meditation will help. Keep trying.

Sacrament

It's difficult because you're never ready, you just have to go for it. The more you do it, the smaller the negative effects. The less you do it, the more your mind comes up with elaborate stories on why and how you'll fail.

lily

i expose myself but after that it's just a lot of it is undoable, that's why it's called a social anxietiy/phobia and there's nothing that can help you to do it.

hardy

Its cause we multiply fears if we roll in thoughts and react to unpleasant sensations like we normally do...if we can somehow be present to the situation instead of rolling in thoughts of fear and reacting to the unpleasant fear sensations, we can cut the root....it will take a lot of effort, meditation will help. Keep trying

Ransfordrowe

Most people dont like causing themselves pain and exposure therapy for example involves alot of that.It is worth while doing since a person can not over come their fears if they dont face them.Facing a fear is emotionally very tough escpically if a person has denied it and buried it deep in their minds.Exposing it can bring up painful feelings.Exposed wounds are painful.

Kiwong

Exposure should be
graded
repeated and regular
prolonged

This is my experience with exposure therapy

You list all the things that make you anxious from least anxious to most anxious. And you start at the bottom of the list.

For example looking at a picture of a spider, then graduate to watching a video of a spider, then going into a room with a spider, and finally having a spider in your hand.

If you expose yourself to the room full of spiders first failure is almost certain.

While exposed to anxiety it reaches a peak and then falls away. So prolonged means staying with the anxiety until it peaks, each time the peak isn't as intense and it falls away more quickly.

It has worked for me. I gave a talk at a workshop with a Fabio wig and a fluffy shark, people cheered and applauded at the end.

w*n*c*a*m

For me it's hard because when I expose myself I tend to do something silly or something that would bother me no matter how small it is. Then I would ponder about it for a long time. So if I'll expose myself multiple times consistently, the feeling of shame will just keep piling up and I'll end up exhausted.

hardy

The last time I exposed myself I was arrested..

And we also get burnt and tortured in the process if we dont do it right. Very true. Exposure should be done under supervision . Supervision of what? Good question...knowledge, books , psychiatry , positive thinking...these might work. But they are like learning manuals of driving a car...wont help when we are driving.

Similarly when we are getting exposed to fear/phobia/depression/mental-physical illness we need to expose under supervision. Supervision of what? Would like to see answers....Waiting....and the person who doesn't click on websites....god save her...cause thats the best i can do. One need to help oneself , others can guide you about vipassana or mindfulness....you have to learn the process and apply it in life.

cheers.

Hot_Tamale

And we also get burnt and tortured in the process if we dont do it right. Very true. Exposure should be done under supervision . Supervision of what? Good question...knowledge, books , psychiatry , positive thinking...these might work. But they are like learning manuals of driving a car...wont help when we are driving.

Similarly when we are getting exposed to fear/phobia/depression/mental-physical illness we need to expose under supervision. Supervision of what? Would like to see answers....Waiting....and the person who doesn't click on websites....god save her...cause thats the best i can do. One need to help oneself , others can guide you about vipassana or mindfulness....you have to learn the process and apply it in life.

cheers.
lol...I'm pretty sure Pug was making a joke.

Sacrament

cheers.

L85IbAt.jpg