Why Do People Get Married?

A86

like others have mentioned, when 2 people want to share their life experiances with one another, I see it as the ultimate expression/celebration of that commitment.

I can see how such behavior can be beneficial to strengthening the bond between individuals and increasing the commitment factor in the time it takes to raise ankle biters to become self sufficient.

given a lot of the western world has less kids compared to generations past and the increase in divorces (which reduces it's symbolism of commitment?) ... I think I can understand the decrease in relevance as a behavior.

BlueWeepingRose

I'm not really sure anymore, everyone seems to be getting married around me but I doubt I ever will. My parents are really unhappy and don't even bound anymore. At this point in my life I don't see getting married as a big deal anymore. Much rather just be in a relationship with someone without going through all the frustration, spending lots of money. Believe lots of people go rushing into marriage thinking it will solve everything and fix problems but marriage doesn't change anything. Maybe I'm rather bitter about it but I've never seen marriage work out.

Section_31

Honestly, to me its because i wanted to feel loved and not be alone. I still do.

Unfortunately i dont know anymore if ill find that anymore in my situation.

rosewood

been married twice now...
once with all the "works" at the church and honeymoon and i paid for it myself
once at the courthouse, for 50 bucks with a no frills lumberjack judge

first because i grew up with stories of how my mom and dad got married in "that church" and wanted to continue the tradition, and i thought i was marrying the only person i would Ever Marry, happily ever after, the end, so i went all out.

i am human, made a mistake, remarried (for cheap)

and yet neither seemed right. there must be a happy medium
:question:
:idontknow:

anomicdeer

Religious reasons...

or people they feel that they have to...

or because it's so common that that's the only way they feel is "right".

As for me. I see no point in marriage.

bcsr

Religious reasons...

or people they feel that they have to...

or because it's so common that that's the only way they feel is "right".

As for me. I see no point in marriage.

I like how people list reasons and leave off the primary reason people get married. Because they're in love, and want to commit to someone else for life. No one goes in expecting divorce.

Kiwong

Hormones? At least a lot men get married for this reason. At leat a few men at my university were motivated for this reason.