Why are we forced to live

MothPriest

These kinds of posts really irk me...but each to their own I guess

People do not know how lucky they are in my book. Life is hard and if it isn't, you're not doing it right. Anything worth doing is hard to do.

You didn't choose to live and you still haven't by the sound of it.

Edit add quote

Reading this really irked me. No one person can try and assess someones life without actually being that person..... I haven't read any of your posts before so I don't know what your situation is or if you are/have been depressed, so I hope I dont offend you or anything, I just hate when I hear this kind of thing from people. I guess you could say its the equal opposite of when you yourself hear something like this thread. I'm boldly going to say you obviously have never been at that low point in life, for more than just a day or 2, lets say...years... of complete depression and sadness and agony that you have gotten so used to that feeling that your life is actually painful to live, every moment of it. You try your best to do activities, see the best in things, make the most of every moment. You even may go get help, medication, therapy, support, etc,. And despite hearing all the optimistic things you hate, you still give an effort.. Yet after all that you still feel terrible and don't know why. THAT, is when death is the only thing that actually makes you feel good and peaceful and maybe even happy knowing you do not need to live with this feeling anymore. You know that other people enjoy life, and are happy, and you understand and want them to live, but for you, its just not the same. Something unchangeable, chemically, unless you are lucky and meds help you or a miracle happens.

Anyways, that being said, there is no hierarchy for suffering. So you cannot compare ones feelings to your own and assume you are feeling the same exact thing as that person, and tell them to buckle up as you may have when experiencing what 'you' believe they are feeling.... sigh Your following comments also irk me, but I think this covers it. Again, not trying to start a fight...just....UGHHHHHHHHHH *slams face on desk*

^I get what you're saying, MothPriest. I often feel frustrated too when people say things like that. I just feel like shaking them while saying "You just don't GET it!" It's hard for me to describe how I feel each day, and why I feel that way. I don't even completely know why I often feel the way I do. I just know that no amount of positive thinking thus far has helped me climb out of that hole and stay out. I always end up falling back in. And one of the main reasons for my feeling that way sounds ridiculous to most other people, but it's very real to me. I don't know how to explain it so they can understand why it troubles me so much.

MothPriest

Ya I hear you. "And one of the main reasons for my feeling that way sounds ridiculous to most other people, but it's very real to me" I sometimes feel like I know no one who feels the same as me or thinks the same, and if they do, they are shy like me and not too overly social so we will never meet.....sigh...

Last edited:

bcsr

I'm boldly going to say you obviously have never been at that low point in life, for more than just a day or 2, lets say...years... of complete depression and sadness and agony that you have gotten so used to that feeling that your life is actually painful to live, every moment of it. You try your best to do activities, see the best in things, make the most of every moment. You even may go get help, medication, therapy, support, etc,. And despite hearing all the optimistic things you hate, you still give an effort.. Yet after all that you still feel terrible and don't know why. THAT, is when death is the only thing that actually makes you feel good and peaceful and maybe even happy knowing you do not need to live with this feeling anymore. You know that other people enjoy life, and are happy, and you understand and want them to live, but for you, its just not the same. Something unchangeable, chemically, unless you are lucky and meds help you or a miracle happens.

I was at that low point for 10 years or so. I actually had a gun to my head at one point. I'd already written a suicide note and left it on the table. So, yeah, the issues causing the feelings might be different, but I know what real depression feels like. You really aren't experiencing anything that millions of other people haven't. It can get better, whether you believe that or not.

You can either tell yourself that things won't improve and give up, or keep trying. Death isn't a relief, it's a nothingness. And you aren't only getting rid of pain, but of every possible good moment in your life as well. It's your life, and it's the only one you get. Make the best of it.

coyote

I'm boldly going to say you obviously have never been at that low point in life, for more than just a day or 2, lets say...years... of complete depression and sadness and agony that you have gotten so used to that feeling that your life is actually painful to live, every moment of it. You try your best to do activities, see the best in things, make the most of every moment. You even may go get help, medication, therapy, support, etc,. And despite hearing all the optimistic things you hate, you still give an effort.. Yet after all that you still feel terrible and don't know why. THAT, is when death is the only thing that actually makes you feel good and peaceful and maybe even happy knowing you do not need to live with this feeling anymore. You know that other people enjoy life, and are happy, and you understand and want them to live, but for you, its just not the same. Something unchangeable, chemically, unless you are lucky and meds help you or a miracle happens.

^you mean i'm not the only one who's ever been depressed enough to want to end my life?

i thought all of the millions of dollars spent on all of those anti-depressant medications and all of the psychiatrists and psychologists were in practice just to treat me. =^]

we all want to think we're special, and that no one understands OUR pain

and that we are the only ones with the answer

if ending your life is the only answer you can come up with, don't you think it's even remotely possible that soemone who has dealt with the issue before, and is standing outside looking at your life objectively, and whose judgement isn't clouded by pain and emotion, might be able to think of some other options for you?

Last edited:

MothPriest

lol but how do you know this? Like...I thought I made it pretty clear....you don't know what someone else is feeling......are you inside them or something? And no, we dont want to think we are the only ones in the world who feel this way, why would we? I get that a lot of people think that of people in this situation, we are self absorbed or something....good god

coyote

lol but how do you know this? Like...I thought I made it pretty clear....you don't know what someone else is feeling......are you inside them or something? And no, we dont want to think we are the only ones in the world who feel this way, why would we? I get that a lot of people think that of people in this situation, we are self absorbed or something....good god

no, i'm saying that maybe you can draw on other people's experience

U

user deleted

Reading this really irked me. No one person can try and assess someones life without actually being that person.....

Right, very true.

.....I'm boldly going to say you obviously have never been at that low point in life...

Wait, what? You've gone in the matter of sentences from saying that nobody is qualified to comment on the life of someone else, to making a blanket judgement on someone's life.

What you seem to be implying is that nobody who has been through years of depression, sadness and agony can share any other view than your own. That's a little presumptuous, don't you think? You aren't somehow more qualified to comment on this topic than anyone else.

These are your experiences, are you interested in listening to anyone else's? That's what I feel like the point of this forum is, to listen to other people's opinions, and garner a better understanding of ourselves. And, I don't mean this offensively, but no matter how much we believe our experiences are unique to us, they aren't. You can guarantee other people have experienced something similar before, and isn't it helpful to understand how they came through it, or learn from their mistakes?

Nobody is underestimating your pain, or anyone else's. I agree that there can be no hierarchy to suffering, as pain is always a relative condition. I don't think anyone is saying just buckle up and fly right.. it takes a long, long time to recover, but you do have to want to recover. That's a choice you make.

What makes you SO sure that death has no potential?
I would say life definately has more potential than death. Life on earth gives great potential for evolution, learning life lessons, etc.
When you're dead, then there is no access to the "life school" of earth, so no growth are possible???

Just remember, those people who do love you WILL suffer
In my understanding, this suffering is due to the fact that most people get "attached" to other people (which is attachment to earthly forms). It's just part of current humanity's set of problems.

I dont know:confused: I'm wondering the same thing right now. Sometimes I like to think that we have a purpose here but I hate the fact of not knowing exactly what am I meant to do with my life
The way i see it, we are basically here on earth to try & overcome certain negative personality traits we may have. And therefore the best or most-suited paths, lifestyles, jobs,... will be unique for every person.

Death isn't a relief, it's a nothingness
I guess it could be similar to getting drunk, or maybe high on something. Comfortably numb. For drugs, its a temporary loss of most conscious thinking, and the ego. With death, maybe the effects are a bit more permanent..

truffleshuffle

I dont know:confused: I'm wondering the same thing right now. Sometimes I like to think that we have a purpose here but I hate the fact of not knowing exactly what am I meant to do with my life.
I know the feeling. I wonder alot about what my purpose is and I fear a point in my life when I look back and have accomplished nothing.

lyricalliaisons

No one is "forced" to live. Or at least, very few people are. Everyone is put here for a reason unbeknownst to them. Everyone who is living now, has a purpose. That's what I believe.

RoomBound

We have some measure of control in that we can file our protest vote. And that vote is to choose not to create life ourselves. There's always the option of adoption for those who want kids. After all, it's too late for them too. They already exist.

I will never, ever force someone into existence, because I sometimes, okay, often, resent that I was forced into existence. I'll be clear about that in the unlikely event of dating someone seriously. If it's a deal-breaker for her, so be it. I'm used to being alone anyway.

Littlewilly

We didn't choose to live this life,life chose us.
I had wonderful parents & have an equally wonderful family but if I had the chance to live again another life after this one I'd choose the other next time.

Last edited:

Solitudes_Grace

There is existence and there is nothingness. We had nothingness before being born. We will have nothingness once we die. That short period of time between those two moments is the only time that we can have existence. So live a life that's worth living.

I very much agree with this^^