Why are we forced to live

I think about this most days. Don't have a good answer. We're here, we have to survive. Or choose not to I guess.

These kinds of posts really irk me...but each to their own I guess

People do not know how lucky they are in my book. Life is hard and if it isn't, you're not doing it right. Anything worth doing is hard to do.

You didn't choose to live and you still haven't by the sound of it.

Edit add quote
Oscar Wilde said:
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.

Last edited:

xDreamseller

Maybe we did choose to live, but we were just miss-sold the product. Like when the salesman says "Oh sure, it's a great gaming pc", you get it home and it can barely open internet explorer.

Sometimes I like to think life is a game that we all signed up for but we forgot when we were young (like how we forget everything around the time we're born), so it seems real. Read some interesting theories about it, related to space travel. (We're apparently hooked into some virtual reality so we don't go insane while traveling the huge distances in space, that sort of thing. It's fun to read)

jryden

These kinds of posts really irk me...but each to their own I guess

People do not know how lucky they are in my book. Life is hard and if it isn't, you're not doing it right. Anything worth doing is hard to do.

You didn't choose to live and you still haven't by the sound of it.

Edit add quote

I know there's no answer to it but I didn't choose to be here.
I don't consider myself to be lucky to be alive. If given the chance to die today, I'd take it in a heartbeat.

I exist b/c I don't care.

Last edited:
Life has potential. You can turn life around. You can ALWAYS turn life around. You can not turn death around. And believe me, nobody wants to live more than the dying.

Life has potential. You can turn life around. You can ALWAYS turn life around. You can not turn death around. And believe me, nobody wants to live more than the dying.

I'm not being sarcastic, I'm serious, but... do you really think so? That you can always turn life around, no matter the circumstances? What if you murdered someone?

...okay that was an extreme example, haha. But seriously... I wish I had your optimism. I really, REALLY do.

You don't think there are circumstances where death would be preferable over life?

laure15

Life vs. Death. Which one is better? I guess it depends on the situation.
If you're being tortured in a dungeon and still alive but experiencing intense pain and you don't know if you'll ever get out, would you consider instant death?
For some reason, this thread reminds me of the dogs and cats at city animal shelters. Like us, they are forced to live life, but they don't get a say when they're being put down. No one asked them, "Do you want to live or die today?" Humans decide which animals get to live and which don't. Same thing applies to cows in farms or chickens in ranches. Humans decide their fate.

coyote

how can you reap any rewards that death might bring when you will no longer be alive to reap them?

you won't even be able to experience relief

you will experience nothing

you will be nothing

but a memory

not in your mind - you won't have one anymore, because it won't exist

your memory will be in other people's minds

what sort of memory do you want to leave?

start working on creating that story - let that be your life

We're not forced to live, it's one of the greatest privileges this universe can ever offer us. I think we're a bit spoiled as a species when we start seeing life as some kind of possession/burden to carry. And that's not a comment aimed at you personally, I see it becoming a trend amongst people to take their lives for granted.

I don't mean to sound angry, I don't believe that you're a bad person. But you should attempt to reevaluate your view on life a bit. If you look at existence as a whole, the great majority of it doesn't have a living conscious to appreciate/witness anything. But you, me, and everyone you know -can-.

We can walk around, appreciate or dislike the scenery, come across a flower and think to ourselves ''Oh, that sure is a nice flower'' or ''What an odd flower'' or anything else. Compared to a rock, which will never experiences -anything, ever-, that's amazing. And that's just one of the simple things living allows us to do.

Appreciation is a subjective thing, but life is almost endlessly flexible. Anyone, anywhere, can find something they can appreciate if they utilize this flexibility. You've got the means, now you just gotta find out how to best use it.

surewhynot

There is existence and there is nothingness. We had nothingness before being born. We will have nothingness once we die. That short period of time between those two moments is the only time that we can have existence. So live a life that's worth living.

mikebird

Banned
Maybe we did choose to live, but we were just miss-sold the product. Like when the salesman says "Oh sure, it's a great gaming pc", you get it home and it can barely open internet explorer.

Sometimes I like to think life is a game that we all signed up for but we forgot when we were young (like how we forget everything around the time we're born), so it seems real. Read some interesting theories about it, related to space travel. (We're apparently hooked into some virtual reality so we don't go insane while traveling the huge distances in space, that sort of thing. It's fun to read)

!!! Raison d'etre = mastering the life strategy of chess, turn-by-turn.

You end up the loser if you put one foot wrong, or if you were dealt with the wrong card. Every other player tramples on you.

I wish there was more to it

Population hasn't changed. There should be a society group for all of us

We're just born, to live healthy. No one, nothing knows if we are going to live a healthy life when we are born. Some will be happy to be alive, their lives are great, others wish they never existed, their lives are bad. Either way we're forced to live in this world, even if we're useless to everybody, for everything. We are in control of our own lives, we can make our lives better, but that isn't always that easy. We're forced to make our lives better, because we're forced to live and everyone wants to be happy in this life we didn't choose to be in.:mad:

I disagree Mike.

I mean, yes you can get knocked down. You can have **** things happen and you can have big disadvantages.

But ultimately, you can turn it around if you want to. You can always do something. There's always one more avenue to exhaust. There's always options.

(I know my optimism is annoying but you know I hold myself to it too)

MoonBoom

You're forced to live because your daddy's sperm went into mommas egg and developed at that time, as your mom decided to keep you for any number of reasons.

!!! Raison d'etre = mastering the life strategy of chess, turn-by-turn.

You end up the loser if you put one foot wrong, or if you were dealt with the wrong card. Every other player tramples on you.

I wish there was more to it

Population hasn't changed. There should be a society group for all of us

Only games know winners and losers. You can choose to participate in this 'game', and end up a ''winner'' or a ''loser'', either of which defined by the biased people that supposedly 'won' this game. Winner or loser, they're both titles that only have meaning to people whom give them meaning.

You can also choose to not play the game, and experience life outside of he confines of what's expected. Outside of its rules. And in doing so, try to utilize life's potential within, around and beyond society.

The potential is there. Reach for it.