Why are we forced to live

MoonBoom

Your existence is hindered on what other people think though. Your relationship with others and how they treat you. It makes or breaks you and your own thoughts of life. There is a level of "I know what you don't, you don't see me", but ultimately the things you make matter WILL matter. Things said are things said. Things known are only theories until YOU make it work. Until YOU know it. All this "choose to do this and that" are of course true, but not to the individual who suffers in their mind. And for YOU to know something, requires at least in part, a contribution from every single person around you.

findingbeauty

As many know, Oregon in the the U.S., is the only state that permits legal suicide, though only for the terminally ill. If one qualifies as terminally ill, they are able to decide when to pull the plug. Instead of waiting till the brutal end...for example cancer patients are put on high doses of several pain medications, lose weight till they are merely skin on bone, and can barely move...these patients can go to a doctor and return home with a lethal dose of medication and choose when and with whom they will die (though Oregon law does not require one to notify their family). Can you imagine the difference between going off alone and sticking a gun to your head, or jumping off a bridge, versus having a family member, friend, or professional nearby and peacefully going in the comfort of your home? If you've ever had a pet put down, the injection can make for a very fast (like 2 second) transition, it is actually rather eerie.

But what about people who are suffering mental disease or who aren't terminal but have chronic physical conditions that sentence them to a life of suffering? What if they had the choice and the right to go in dignity and in a peaceful and supportive environment?

Fighter86

Wish I was never born. Wish we had a choice really. I feel like a total waste of space. And all that suffering.

JackOfSpades

I think wanting to die is considered by many to be a perversion of the mind, and thus isn't validated simply because you want to do it anymore than committing violent crime against anyone else would be.

People say "because I want to", but to many the reason one would want to is because they aren't mentally well, and thus incapable of that decision.

I read something once that said those who want to die lack the skills to make life worth living.
I find some inspiration in that.