When you post on a forum...

Harleyq

and a bunch of people (or even one person) don'/doesn't agree with you and start getting kind of mean, how do you feel about it? Do you get defensive and reply back?

It's only happened to me a few times cause I try to be careful about my words but I always end up feeling like a bad person or stupid or something. I know it's ridiculous but I can't help it. Most of the times I just leave the forum altogether for about 2 weeks cause I'm embarrassed to show my avatar again, lol.

You'd think the relative anonymity of the internet would be a place to abandon SA fears but unfortunately.....

agoraphobickatie

i'm sorry you feel that way harleyq!! :( most places, it seems like we can all post things about our issues and it's been pretty helpful to me, but i know what you're talking about! i hope i haven't made you feel any of those feelings! i love what you have to say and always agree! if people are making you feel stupid or bad or anything, it's probably because they are ignorant, you're a very polite and smart poster :) sometimes i'll be defensive, but what is the saying about arguing over the internet or something? i don't know.. it's just pointless... we're all here to see that other people are struggling with the same things we are, and we do dabble in everyday conversation that doesn't have to do with SA, but i try not to take it too seriously.. i guess i'm the same in life, i understand that people are all different, we don't all think the same, act the same, or feel the same.. and for people who don't understand that, well, you just can't argue with the ignorant, haha :)

Harleyq

i'm sorry you feel that way harleyq!! :( most places, it seems like we can all post things about our issues and it's been pretty helpful to me, but i know what you're talking about! i hope i haven't made you feel any of those feelings! i love what you have to say and always agree! if people are making you feel stupid or bad or anything, it's probably because they are ignorant, you're a very polite and smart poster :) sometimes i'll be defensive, but what is the saying about arguing over the internet or something? i don't know.. it's just pointless... we're all here to see that other people are struggling with the same things we are, and we do dabble in everyday conversation that doesn't have to do with SA, but i try not to take it too seriously.. i guess i'm the same in life, i understand that people are all different, we don't all think the same, act the same, or feel the same.. and for people who don't understand that, well, you just can't argue with the ignorant, haha :)

Good points. I haven't seen a problem between posters on this site so far (except for that How to Get Girls post but that's a whole other can of worms). Everyone seems to respect everyone else's opinions here, even when disagreements come up.

There are some forums that I refuse to post on because I'm afraid of the responses, like on Newgrounds or Ebaum's World - I like those sites but people on the forums are always like "STFU YOU FAG!" lol.

Jake123

Banned
There are some forums that I refuse to post on because I'm afraid of the responses, like on Newgrounds or Ebaum's World - I like those sites but people on the forums are always like "STFU YOU FAG!" lol.

That pretty much sums up the the entire internets...

Luke1993

I try to agree with everyone on forums cos I don't want someone to start arguing with me lol

B

Bar-AKA-Redzer

i could'nt give a shit who dont agree with me, and i'll give as good as i get. No way would i back down or leave a forum cause someone dont agree with me or tell me to STFU no way.

dooby-duck

The thing I have found with some forums is that there is a really strong "group think" thing that goes on. This is where the whole or part of the groups opinion is overly influenced by one or a few people. So the view or opinion that some people will post is not really their own but done in order to fit in.

Sometimes I think the internet has a way of de-sensitizing (not a word I know) people. People hurry to post and try to keep it short because of laziness and
not to ramble on. A lot gets lost when that happens.

blue-roses

I delete my posts on YouTube when they get voted down, haha. I never post anything inflammatory (okay, once or twice I might have "fed the trolls") but some people still disagree and reply with something mean, so I delete it. :( I was on a forum for Led Zeppelin fans about two years ago and no-one was nice on there at all! Every time I posted anything, even if it was positive, someone would nitpick about how stupid I was to not know a particular detail of a tour or a song, for my avatar, for using smileys...

Off The Wall

I don't really care too much, altho sometimes you're like oh crap does everyone on there hate me? I usually reply back, i don't really get defensive everyone has different opinions who cares your entitled to your own.

FountainandFairfax

in a VAN down by the RIVER
It depends on my mood usually, but for the most part, no. I don't take it personally because they only do it due to the fact that they're online.

Sometimes it bothers me when it's just blatant bashing, or someone wanting to make a point so bad that they didn't even bother to read your post thoroughly, in their rush to disagree with something.

I've had nothing but good times here, though.

So far...

:D

Emily_G

and a bunch of people (or even one person) don'/doesn't agree with you and start getting kind of mean, how do you feel about it? Do you get defensive and reply back?

It's only happened to me a few times cause I try to be careful about my words but I always end up feeling like a bad person or stupid or something. I know it's ridiculous but I can't help it. Most of the times I just leave the forum altogether for about 2 weeks cause I'm embarrassed to show my avatar again, lol.

You'd think the relative anonymity of the internet would be a place to abandon SA fears but unfortunately.....

It's realy weird how attached we get to people online and how much emotion we invest on an internet forum...very weird. I left a forum awhile back because the admin was a real jerk and abused his power, he insulted me and I actually cried. I'm not sure why now...I think because I invested A LOT of time talking to him and made sure what I wrote was written with love and kindness ....just to get slapped in the face like that.

Well, anyways, I try not to fight back...I've figured out it's not worth it. I made it a rule to bow out of internet debates when I feel like a broken record :)

Harleyq

It's realy weird how attached we get to people online and how much emotion we invest on an internet forum...very weird. I left a forum awhile back because the admin was a real jerk and abused his power, he insulted me and I actually cried. I'm not sure why now...I think because I invested A LOT of time talking to him and made sure what I wrote was written with love and kindness ....just to get slapped in the face like that.

Well, anyways, I try not to fight back...I've figured out it's not worth it. I made it a rule to bow out of internet debates when I feel like a broken record :)

Yeah, I think because many of us with SA don't really have any other social outlets besides those we talk to on the net so while everyone else can see that as no big deal, some of us invest too much into it. Besides that, SA makes me care what everyone thinks of me and people behind those angry posts are included, unfortunately.

Blake B.

I once asked a D&D forum if anyone had any experience being a DM with SA, and if they had any special ways of coping with it. I got 0 constructive comments, and ended up closing the thread. Didn't go back to that forum. I shouldn't have taken their bullshit to heart. They're probably socially inept nerds just like me, who don't understand the repercussions of what they say, but it still hurt, considering the fact that I contributed a lot to that forum leading up to that point.