When you don't care, everything is simpler?

polishgirl

In Polish there is popular saying that teaches that if you do not worry, do not care about a certain issue you are dealing with, you will get what you desire and resolve it very quickly. Do you agree?

Aletheia

whether to give a toss

I think there's a difference between disinterest and uninterest.

The former can help you avoid becoming invested in a particular outcome, and thus replace anxiety with curiosity. You could deal with it quickly because you're not blocked by fear, and any outcome is desirable.

The latter could lead you to lack of involvement and a withdrawal from the world which might feel "safe" but in my experience leads to numbness and depression.

Last edited:

MikeyC

I think it's true because you're not worrying about anything and you can go through life unfettered about the past. However, there is a line between "not caring" and "apathy," which are two different things.

EDIT: Aletheia beat me to it and explained it way better than I.

I generally agree. People tend to spend a lot of time worrying about things that either have no affect on them, or they have no control over. Both are more harmful than good.

Kiwong

I don't think so. Not caring led directly to seriously big health problems. I didn't care about my health or my future and then I started suffering depression and panic attacks. Then I was forced to care, and I chose life. I realised I wanted to fight to live, and I survived. I'm not indifferent anymore.

OceanMist

In Polish there is popular saying that teaches that if you do not worry, do not care about a certain issue you are dealing with, you will get what you desire and resolve it very quickly. Do you agree?

The problem with that saying is that care and worry are different. We have to care about taking a shower every day so we don't stink, but we shouldn't worry about it, if that makes sense. That's an example of the difference.

Also, by not caring about something, you definitely won't always get what you desire and it won't always be resolved quickly.

I do think the quote tries to get people on the right track because people who have anxiety problems tend to care too much, so caring less is something that makes me feel better in my own experience.

I don't think not caring has really gotten me anywhere, though, besides made me not think as much. I guess that's a good thing, but not caring about socializing hasn't gotten me a social life, that's for sure. Yeah, I guess it's kind of a person will get something and then they won't.

What is annoying is that care and worry are so similar, imo.

Tulicks

Everything may be simpler, but I wouldn't go as far as to say you can get what you desire. For me, I have learned that the first step when dealing with social anxiety is to stop caring about it instead of letting it rule your life. That helped me "cope" a lot, but it did not take away the problem. I still experience social anxiety whether I care about it or not.

Barry1979

Yeah I belive that....I know people who could not care less about anything and they are the ones who usually outlive everyone.

Griffin

It depends. Certain things you should care about: your health; job; family and friends.

Other things, you can afford to be ambivalent on. Whenever I read about a celebrity dying, it doesn't really affect me. The deaths of Amy Winehouse and Steve Jobs seemed to cause a mass outpouring of grief. That's not really something I understand myself, and it's not something I spend too much time worrying over. I care more about my family and friends and that helps to put things in perspective.

I also think it's as much about degree rather than caring or not caring. There are some things that I do care about, but putting into perspective, I don't care as much about them as I do other things.