What's with the Scientology ads?

theblank

Lately I've been noticing Scientology ads (Dianetics) on this website. Why are they on here? I feel it's inappropriate and out of place for a religious group to come onto a website filled with vulnerable people and try and lure them into their cult. Beware of them!

Lea

Banned
That doesn´t mean people on this site are more stupid than general population to fall for some cult. It´s not the adverts "fault", if someone falls for the cult, it´s up to the decision of the individual. What he chooses to believe. Just like not everybody smokes only because cigarettes are available.

Ericisme

Haha, right now I'm looking at an ad "Book about cults" It's just an ad about buying a book that is about cults. How funny. xD I think I'd prefer Scientology ads over Christian ads though, even though Christianity is a real religon. xD But I agree, don't see how somebody is gonna fall into it just from looking at an ad, unless it's mind controling ad. =O

princess_haru

If you dont like the ads on this site if you have firefox go and get the add-on "Ad block plus" and you wont see another "Scientology" ad on this site or any other site for that matter ! i only use it because im stuck on dial up ,so this site will load faster! lol

I used to be a big firefox fan, until it deleted all my favourites when it updated! I let it off the first time, thinking it was just a flukey problem, but it did it again the next time it updated so now I'm back to bad old IE ::p:

princess_haru

Lol, I just saw an ad at the bottom of the screen that said "Warning: Do not attempt to start a motivational public speaking career without reading this!" Damn, and there I was just about to give a speech to 500 eager listeners at the town hall...

I'll just go back to hiding in my living room instead then ;)

Ericisme

Lol, I just saw an ad at the bottom of the screen that said "Warning: Do not attempt to start a motivational public speaking career without reading this!" Damn, and there I was just about to give a speech to 500 eager listeners at the town hall...

I'll just go back to hiding in my living room instead then ;)

HA! :eek: :D :D

Perfidion

I think I'd prefer Scientology ads over Christian ads though, even though Christianity is a real religon.

Heh. Christianity is about as "real" as Scientology. Christians have Jesus, who apparently sacrificed himself for our sins and then miraculously rose from the dead. (I do that all the time!) Scientologists have Xenu, the galactic overlord. Admittedly, Xenu's a little more corny, but they're both about as credible as each other. However, if believing that your life's sole purpose is massaging God's ego (or becoming an Operating Thetan) makes you feel good about yourself and your place in the world, then fine. Whatever.

Ericisme

Christians have Jesus, who apparently sacrificed himself for our sins and then miraculously rose from the dead. (I do that all the time!) Scientologists have Xenu, the galactic overlord. Admittedly, Xenu's a little more corny, but they're both about as credible as each other.

You're wrong. They aren't as credible as each other. Xenu is way more likely to be real, although still strange. Not as strange as some guy dying on a cross for our sins and then rising from the dead. There is really more proof of Xenu existance than Jesus. Sure, you got a Sci-Fi story book(Bible) telling about Jesus. But, gravity, physics, and such don't disprove the existance of Xenu when it basically does of Jesus(and his Father). So Xenu is at 0, Jesus is like at -27. Neither have proof, but one has more proof than the other.

Although better things do come from Jesus, he has done more for the world than Xenu has. Not in real magicical fantasy things, just things that Christians do to help the world and such(I personally use to get food from a local church).

:eek::confused:

Perfidion

You're wrong. They aren't as credible as each other. Xenu is way more likely to be real, although still strange. Not as strange as some guy dying on a cross for our sins and then rising from the dead.

Darth Vader's real too. No. Really.

There is really more proof of Xenu existance than Jesus.

Xenu is a product of L. Ron Hubbard's delusions of grandeur. He was a crap author too, incidentally.

Sure, you got a Sci-Fi story book(Bible) telling about Jesus. But, gravity, physics, and such don't disprove the existance of Xenu when it basically does of Jesus(and his Father). So Xenu is at 0, Jesus is like at -27. Neither have proof, but one has more proof than the other.

Gravity disproves the existence of Jesus? Okay then. :D I'm an agnostic. I believe you can argue about the existence or non-existence of (insert-name-of-preferred-deity-here) until you're blue in the face. At the end of the day you've still got exactly what you started with -- jack all.

Although better things do come from Jesus, he has done more for the world than Xenu has. Not in real magicical fantasy things, just things that Christians do to help the world and such(I personally use to get food from a local church).

You know, a lot of non-Christians do a lot of nice things for people too. And not because they're trying to earn brownie points with The Magical Sky Father. They do it because they're nice people. What a revolutionary thought! What's Xenu done for the world, purely out of interest? (I'd get food from local churches too, but I spontaneously combust whenever I set foot on hallowed ground.) :D

Thelema

Jesus didn't do anybody any real good. On the grand scale of good things done in history, Jesus doesn't even make the top 100,000,000. He was a crazy man that walked around telling fairy tales about how great him and his invisible father was.

Do you know the greatest person to ever live? It's the person that has saved a billion lives, Norman Borlaug. Through his research he has saved about a billion people's lives...A BILLION...the most good ever done in the history of our planet. It wasn't done by some faith healer 2000 years ago, it's a man still alive today and he's just a regular flesh and blood guy.

It's weird people want to praise a dead crazy guy that did a lot of walking around, but the guy that saved a billion people is an unknown person. If anything, we should worship the guy that actually did something.

Last edited:

Thelema

You're wrong. They aren't as credible as each other. Xenu is way more likely to be real, although still strange. Not as strange as some guy dying on a cross for our sins and then rising from the dead. There is really more proof of Xenu existance than Jesus. Sure, you got a Sci-Fi story book(Bible) telling about Jesus. But, gravity, physics, and such don't disprove the existance of Xenu when it basically does of Jesus(and his Father). So Xenu is at 0, Jesus is like at -27. Neither have proof, but one has more proof than the other.

:eek::confused:

No, the likeness of a man named Jesus that existed 2000 years ago is plausable...Xenu existing is as likely as there's a pink unicorn flying outside your window right now.

Ericisme

No, the likeness of a man named Jesus that existed 2000 years ago is plausable...Xenu existing is as likely as there's a pink unicorn flying outside your window right now.

But what's the likelyness of you raising from the dead and rising to the clouds and sitting next to some being that was made by nothing and was always here, randomly, for no reason? Honestly, aliens is easily more plausable than the first 10 words, ask God himself, I dare you. No offense.

Thelema

But what's the likelyness of you raising from the dead and rising to the clouds and sitting next to some being that was made by nothing and was always here, randomly, for no reason? Honestly, aliens is easily more plausable than the first 10 words, ask God himself, I dare you. No offense.

You are arguing that an alien named Xenu exists/existed (is he supposed to still exist?) is more likely than Jesus existing. Jesus the man existing is plausible, regardless of whether he was what he claimed to be or not. Saying Xenu is more likely is assuming a lot of things-alien's existing at all and aliens wanting to cell themselves Xenu-for instance.

Assuming aliens exist at all is a biggg leap of faith in of itself without adding any specific super galactic villain alien. We know humans exist and that Jesus was a name used 2000 years ago-we have yet to meat any alien, not even some space fungus, much less anything intelligent...much less anything naming itself Xenu

Tiercel

I'm about as vulnerable to scientology as I am to suddenly becoming a great violinist.

Now, if the ads were for Robert E. Howard's original Conan stories, I'd probably buy them a few times over. Talk about inspirational reading....

Perfidion

I think he's more Palpatine than Zerg. (But not cool enough to shoot lightning from his fingertips.)

But really, Xenu? What is it with sci-fi authors and the fixation on giving alien overlords absurd names beginning with X? (I bet Xenu had a dim-witted henchman named, Morb. Or Krag. Or Drax.)