What's the worst things people have noticed about you?

rocky_oreo

For years I had this massive problem eating in front of people. Especially in restaurants/cafes and even in my own home if there were people there that weren't eating although the latter don't affect me now if it's my own family but when it's others I can still feel a bit awkward.

When I went to places where you eat with my family I usually chose the tables in the corner or out of the way and I always faced the way where the less amount of people would see me. This is something I started to grow out of until I was a teenager and my Mum commented on something one day that made it all come back again. She told me that I eat funny. So as you can imagine after that, it all came back just as worse again. Then some years later I mentioned to my Mum about her comment when we were eating somewhere and she just replied with, that I do. Although my Mum is very supportive and always has been with my SA, sometimes people really don't realise when they say someting that can make you worse.

Another time (both my Mum and partner have done this) have told me I walk funny in public, so now whenever I walk in public and there are people about I am always conscious of how I walk. Sometimes I couldn't care less what people think about it (those rare ocassions when my anxiety is asleep because I am somewhere really exciting like the seaside so things don't bother me as much) but the rest of the time it plays on my mind.

There was another time as well where my therapist made me feel awkward. I had tried this skin care cream the night before, but because I have very sensitive skin, it caused me some blisters. I didn't want to face going out and seeing my therapist the next day but my Mum made me. As soon as my therapist saw me she saw my face and said I should have cancelled my session that day. So there was me having a brave moment, facing the world feeling like a freak only for my therapist to tell me I should have stayed at home

crazycatlady27

omg that is possible the worst thing to say to someone with anxiety "you walk funny" thats even nasty, as for your therepist that is awful, they should have said well done for coming out of the house, and i had the same thing happen to me with e45 cream i was so embarrased and it makes you feel horrible.
and as for the eating in public thing i know loads of people who dont like to eat in public so its quite common really.
i hope you feel better soon and i hope you get a little more confidence xxxx

truffleshuffle

I have Psoriasis so I usualy have pretty dry skin in the affected areas. It seems like everything I do drys my skin worse. Water soap you name it If i shave my face is red and blochy thats usualy why I keep a beard but the beard makes it worse sometimes because its hard to get the cream onto my face and I have a thing about putting lotion type stuff on my beard its just kinda creepy. I get a few snide remarks about it from time to time and people will ask me why my face is so red and blochy sometimes.

rocky_oreo

I think they said it without realising the affect it would have on me. But then it makes me feel if the people close to me notice small things like that then imagine what everyone else is going to think :(

Sorry to hear about your condition truffleshuffle. My partner has exczema and has tried simple moisturiser and that has helped him. Have you tried that? I have a mild rosacea so that's why my skin is always sensitive but nothing calms that :(.

truffleshuffle

I think they said it without realising the affect it would have on me. But then it makes me feel if the people close to me notice small things like that then imagine what everyone else is going to think :(

Sorry to hear about your condition truffleshuffle. My partner has exczema and has tried simple moisturiser and that has helped him. Have you tried that? I have a mild rosacea so that's why my skin is always sensitive but nothing calms that :(.
lotion type stuff on my face means I would have to wash my face every night but water makes the condition worse so I tend to stay away from those but I do have a tube of some medical crame i use when it gets bad

MikeyC

Another time (both my Mum and partner have done this) have told me I walk funny in public, so now whenever I walk in public and there are people about I am always conscious of how I walk. Sometimes I couldn't care less what people think about it (those rare ocassions when my anxiety is asleep because I am somewhere really exciting like the seaside so things don't bother me as much) but the rest of the time it plays on my mind.
Wow, dude, I'm sorry. I have also been told I walk funny.

Last year a woman told me that you don't have to be a therapist to notice my severe lack of confidence. I didn't realise it was so obvious. ::(:

rocky_oreo

Sorry to hear that. I have zero confidence or more like - 100 lol and if it's obvious in someone else then it must be really obvious in me

kelskellian

I walking funny too when I'm nervous,my whole body tenses up and half the time I worried that ppl will see that I have no self confidence and see that I'm scared its embarrassing

recluse

I have always had trouble with pronouncing r's and also i have trouble pronouncing th as in think so it sounds like i am saying fink. I have always been embarassed about it.

I have always had people commenting that i look like mr Bean.

I have alwyas had comments about me being quiet.

Let me list 'em:

- how young I look

- how short I am

- how timid I am

- how "weird" I am

- how small my hands/feet are

- how pale I am

I've had compliments too, but I think we tend to focus on the negatives more than the positives. Something I really need to work on.

pop-princess

People have told me that

- I'm quiet
- I'm too kind (I guess that means that I let people step on me)
- I'm short
- I'm curvy (which I sort of take as another word for "fat")
- I'm mystical

Hellhound

Super Moderator
My family used to make fun of the way I walk. I don't care now because I'm aware I walked just fine, but back then I was self-conscious of the way I walked.

Then people used to make fun of my weight. I was chubby as a kid, everyone made sure to let me know.

truffleshuffle

Ok Well im a very hairy person and when I was younger I was self-conscious about it becasue my friends would call me chi-pet I may even be more hair than robbin williams lol. well besides my head since im going bald

razzle dazzle rose

I used to get the "you are so quiet" comments all the time. Not so much these days as I am not in situations where people can notice. Those comments are so annoying and just make the moment worse. But the worse comments will always be those directed at my OCD.

crazycatlady27

i have really big ears and apparently i am tall for a woman lol and i am curvy and i am not that smart and i am strange because i have so many animals, these are things i have been told. but after breaking a girls nose when i was younger when she called me big ears i wasnt teased on that anymore lol

kelskellian

Wow I get comments all the time about how quiet I am,I think he bothers some peoplep,like they think I don't like them or something

Luka

That's happened to me too. A few years ago I was in class and my friends were whispering and laughing about me and I overheard them saying that my ears stick out. They do... but now I'm so self-conscious about them even though most people probably don't even notice them. -sigh-

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
People don't usually tell me what they notice, other than my quietness which people comment on very very frequently. Not necessarily bad per se even if I would like to be able to be more vocal or at least have the ability to if I so choose.