what to do with my life?

Smokeringz

I am 19 at the time, and I have not graduated high school (2 more subjects left) But I am starting to ask the question what am I supposed to do next? I realize I will get my highschooling done in a year or less but afterwards, what do I do? I am on disability at the time, making 1180 a month (im in canada) so finacially I am sound.
But Its not just that, I feel like I am not doing a good enough job with me. I feel I could workout more, quit smoking, play more music you know that kind of stuff. But I just cannot muster the strength to do anything. any advice would be helpful.
thank you - shawn.

I am 19 at the time, and I have not graduated high school (2 more subjects left) But I am starting to ask the question what am I supposed to do next? I realize I will get my highschooling done in a year or less but afterwards, what do I do? I am on disability at the time, making 1180 a month (im in canada) so finacially I am sound.
But Its not just that, I feel like I am not doing a good enough job with me. I feel I could workout more, quit smoking, play more music you know that kind of stuff. But I just cannot muster the strength to do anything. any advice would be helpful.
thank you - shawn.

Explore what you are passionate about, what you would do for free, and start from there. When you have activities, hobbies or work that you love then it motivates and gets you moving and the other things follow. Narrow your focus, for now, to what you want to do and concentrate your energy on that. So maybe play some music and nothing else - then see how you feel?

MrJones

It's very common not knowing what to do with your life, especially at your (and my) age, when you have to start a real life.

As phocas said, it's very important to look for something you really like to do and try to find something that fits.

WeirdyMcGee

I think it would be good for you to finish highschool first-- you can think about everything after that, later.

Once you're done school, though- you could probably do to take up some hobbies or maybe classes somewhere... I plan to do the same thing, too. Being out of school is driving me crazy. I feel like I'm not active enough... or like I should be learning something. The great thing about being done highschool is that you can pick what you'd like to learn about because there's no longer a curriculum that you need to follow.

I'm 23, agoraphobic, no friends, no job... it's pretty depressing as things are but I've started working out on a daily basis-- at *least* 40 minutes a day + 1 hour of running in the mornings 5 days a week. I'm starting to feel a bit better generally, I think.
I plan to work on leaving the house daily- so that by the fall, I can take a couple of classes.
Judo and Violin lessons, I think...
I'm also hoping to get a part time job somewhere in town in the fall when the tourists leave to (make some money and maybe make some friends)

Try not to think about 'all the things you don't have'- and instead, make a list of things you would like to try doing.
That's my suggestion.
Good luck! Stay positive!

--also... as a last note; I know from experience that it's impossible to change your habits unless you REALLY want to change.
So, working out, quitting smoking and playing more music won't be happening unless you want to do those things and force yourself to stick with them.
It is possible; you just have to create a routine and stick with it.
There's lots of help out there, too- if you can ask for it.

Rembrandt Broam

Live it. It is not a dress rehearsal.

If life were a dress rehearsal I think the director would be marching towards the stage shouting "No, no, no....I'm sorry Rembrandt, but I'm afraid you're nowhere near ready for the big performance. I'm afraid we're going to have to bring in your understudy. Perhaps you should consider working as an extra; someone in the background, barely noticed by the audience. You'd be far better suited to that sort of work." :rolleyes:

Kiwong

If life were a dress rehearsal I think the director would be marching towards the stage shouting "No, no, no....I'm sorry Rembrandt, but I'm afraid you're nowhere near ready for the big performance. I'm afraid we're going to have to bring in your understudy. Perhaps you should consider working as an extra; someone in the background, barely noticed by the audience. You'd be far better suited to that sort of work." :rolleyes:

yep, the big hook would probably come out and drag me off the stage. I would finish up selling cleaning products in infomercials.

Feathers

yep, the big hook would probably come out and drag me off the stage. I would finish up selling cleaning products in infomercials.
lol I'd be far too intimidated to do that, haha!!

McGee, I like your plan! Do report how it goes!

OP, maybe change your nickname to start with? :) You've identified with smoking a lot in the past, it seems?
What kind of music do you play? Can you join a band or something? Or play at recitals/poetry readings or such? Or just jamming with others? It's easier if you have other people to do things with/for... Easier to do this when still in high school too...
Are there any other people that might enjoy going jogging or workout together too?

Could you also volunteer somewhere? Or get a part-time job? (Not sure how it is with your disability and any rules, might wanna check or ask)

How about finding ways to gather the strength to do those things? Start at the beginning and progress from there? :3

Nanita

I´m 30 and I still don´t know "what to do".

I don´t have a job right now and I don´t think any regular job really fits me. I have had several jobs, but it gets depressing having some boring or hard job.

I wish I could live peacefully and make some money from fun creative projects, but I have no idea what to do exactly, I don´t seem to get any closer and the time is just passing...

On the positive side, I started working out a little everyday (running and yoga) which is definitely necessary for me to pull myself up.
And I paint and play music. And read a lot.

But do these things really help me to have a sense of purpose in life -- NO.

Still, I´d advise u to do things that u like doing. That´s the most important.

Last edited:

LazyHermitCrab

Haha funny hehehehe