What to do when people really ARE laughing at you?

new_mom_09

If you are going to give a presentation, the best thing to do is practice what you are going to say out loud, or under your breath while alone if that is uncomfortable for you. You only need to practice a few times and it will greatly improve your confidence in front of people.
If you want to say something in class, write out what you are planning to say first. Just memorize it, and then say it out loud, just tune everyone else out and focus on your question / sentence. (BTW, this especially works when talking over the phone, something I really hate to do).
There are times I've been laughed at too. I really don't like talking in front of people but if I have to, this is what I do, and almost 100% of the time, it works.

GloomySunday

I had to deal with a bunch of jokers when I was at university who sat at the back of every lecture and class, just laughing and generally taking the mick out of everyone and everything. During one lecture I just turned round and told them to shut the f*** up. It was no surprise to anyone that they didn't make it to graduation day.

This is the job of the teacher to sort out. They have the authority in the classroom. Have a quiet word, but be direct about it. Say to them exactly what you've said today and make it clear that you expect something to be done - not just for your sake, but for everyone elses.

Best of luck.

Helyna

I like Gloomy Sunday's comment, as always. My idea is to force yourself to laugh with them. I know you don't want to, but just do it. That takes control of things and forces them to laugh with you rather than at you, no matter what they want.

JonnyD

You've done nothing wrong, their wrong...
i don't think you should change yourself to fit them, you'll find nice people in the uni/college , i know because i did.

I totally agree with GloomySunday (guy you always have a constructive thing to say :) )

happened the same to me, i ignored most of the time... there's only one time i regret not telling someone to shut up... you should ignore these people, uni/college is about you

the saddest part is that i was the younger person in the class, other guys had 25,30 against me with 18, generally this kind of people are trying to reasure themselves to their groups.

If someone ever affect you while you're presenting, do tell them to shut up! If someone ever try to mock with you, react. Sometimes it's better to overreact then not react at all...

about the presentations itself new_mom_09 said it all

Ashiene

i was doing so well last semester in school, and did 3 amazing presentations and 2 projects, but then i completely missed (skipped) the final presentation because of my SP and now i have to do it ALL over again and spend another 6 stupid months redoing my projects and presentations.

dottie

that sucks. all you can do is ignore them, focus on your work, and most importantly your goal. don't give them the power to throw you off track. you are halfway through the semester (if you are on the same schedule as usa?). just suck it up, jump through these hoops, and you will be out of there in no time.

WuzaJondoe

Listen. For 29 years I dealt with social anxiety and finally took action 2 years ago. I wouldn't have been caught dead giving a presentation. Last night I gave my first college speech. I realized what has to be done during a speech. See people like us have to practice, practice, practice until we can do the presentation in our sleep...and then practice some more. Record yourself until you give the presentation that you are happy with. Then watch it over and over. After all of this you know the presentation foward and backwards. Walk up there and speak with authority, because you know what you are talking about! Recreate that presentation that you made on the video. Try your best to block these guys out. And you gave yourself some of the best advice. Find some MATURE friends and don't worry about trying to please these guys.

dpr

wow... at university? how do such immature people end up in university? i feel for you, this is a tough situation and they are obviously a bunch of assholes.

i know this may be really hard for you, but i think it would be a good idea to focus the classes attention on them. like maybe pause while they are laughing and ask them if they are done or if they have a question. or you could just say "Hi, could you be quiet so I can do this?"

You could also address the teacher in the middle of the presentation, since he/she doesn't seem to be in control of the class anyway, and make it the teacher's problem.

Like when they are laughing, just turn to the teacher and say something like, "I'm sorry but I can't continue unless everyone is quiet while I'm speaking."

It's a totally reasonable request. I know it's easier said than done, but that's probably what I'd do.

Remus

Staff member
wow didnt know you got bullying at uni, that really is immature!

give them the finger, bunch of infants.... god!!!! grow up!

Get used to it..that's life..bullying happens even for 'mature' grown-ups..but if it really is bad then tell someone, a counsellor or something..good luck!

ally72

I have the same problem with a group of girls at uni. Today when i was doing my presentation they just kept looking at me, whispering and laughing. They couldn't stop laughing & I have no idea why. The only reason i can think of is perhaps i sounded a bit nervous because i get nervous during presentations but i mean most people do & i don't understand what could be so funny about someone being nervous. This just makes me feel completely insecure and makes me think there is something wrong with me. It's weird because in high school people were actually nicer when you presented assignments and they would support you and now that i'm in uni people are immature and totally disrespectful, it's weird because i wouldv'e thought it should be the other way around. And i know i'm not being paranoid because once in class they turned around and looked at me and laughed, it just completely confuses me & i have no idea what they are laughing at, i mean i'm average looking and dress well and i'm just an average kinda girl so what is their problem? Especially since they hardly know me.

Last edited:
D

deleted user 1

At my last job, I really tried to fit in. But I had to work mostly with Polish, who refused to speak English around me when another of their countrymen where present. Added to that, I knew they were talking about me, not in a positive way. That was a crippling experience for a number of reasons. First of all, I was effectively housebound for over a year before getting this job. I had to dig deep to find the positivity and enthusiasm that I went there with, secondly, they outright cut off the little bit of communicative power that I did have. Socially castrated, in a manner of speaking, lol. It's hard not to be bitter about it. But that's life, they are not the people we are trying to include in our lives. And certainly not the people anyone else wants either. You have my sincerest sympathy, school is tough at times.

D

deleted user 1

I have the same problem with a group of girls at uni. Today when i was doing my presentation they just kept looking at me, whispering and laughing. They couldn't stop laughing & I have no idea why. The only reason i can think of is perhaps i sounded a bit nervous because i get nervous during presentations but i mean most people do & i don't understand what could be so funny about someone being nervous. This just makes me feel completely insecure and makes me think there is something wrong with me. It's weird because in high school people were actually nicer when you presented assignments and they would support you and now that i'm in uni people are immature and totally disrespectful, it's weird because i wouldv'e thought it should be the other way around. And i know i'm not being paranoid because once in class they turned around and looked at me and laughed, it just completely confuses me & i have no idea what they are laughing at, i mean i'm average looking and dress well and i'm just an average kinda girl so what is their problem? Especially since they hardly know me.

What I've observed in the past is that there are usually a group of kids who single out an individual for ridicule. It's as if they need to deflect their own insecurities onto someone else. In my last year in Northern Ireland I was singled out, as it seemed to blow their minds that I was a white guy from Africa lol. Later when I moved to England, there was a guy that everyone seemed to unanimously single out. And all for no logical reason. He was very much like they were, just a tad more timid. I suppose that was their cue to overstep the mark. Introversion is the sign of weakness in their eyes. Or like what squid do when they see a person for the first time, gradually getting closer and closer, building up confidence, if they think they can do anything to you without consequence, then they get aggressive.

Note down their names, work hard, becomes rich and successfull and confident and happy, look up their names and find which one of them has turned into semi alcoholic looser, drive up to him in your porche, roll down the window and laugh in his face.