what the hell are we moaning about ?

Lea

Banned
Your manner or asking conveyed me one message: you're not sorry for the animals. If you were, you wouldn't ask. And I wonder how someone who doesn't care for animals can be sorry for humans.

lunarla

I don't think jneal's question was off base at all. The video was about suffering in general from the few seconds that I permitted myself to watch. The part that stopped me was the children that I saw which is equate in my mind to animal abuse for the reason that has been mentioned above - they're helpless. I thought his question was interesting and not at all detrimental to this thread.

Emily_G

its not all about that emily ... yes its not nice i admit , but sometimes i think we all need to take a backward step and think about other things that are going in in the world ... just so we all realise how lucky we are ....

I think about the horror animals and humans face all the time :( sometimes it makes me sick to my stomach.

lyricalliaisons

My problem is that, although I realize that a lot of people are worse off than me, there are a lot more people that are better off than me. Not including people in third world countries, etc. This world is a horrible place to live in & horrible things happen to people all the time. I'm very grateful & thankful that none of those things have happened to me, but I'm still upset over the fact that very little good has happened to me. I try not to compare myself to other people, & usually don't, but when I do I can't help but feel sorry for myself & bad about my situation. I hate listening to people with far better lives than mine complaining. But I know everyone has problems & if people who have "normal" lives can complain, then I certainly can.

lyricalliaisons

Don't get mad at me for asking, but are you guys more sensitive to the suffering of animals than that of other human beings? Thats been in the back of my mind because of a few posts Ive seen in the past.

In some ways, in certain situations, I do. Humans are more capable of defending themselves & getting out of negative situations than animals are. I care far more about animals & children than I do about anyone or anything else because they are unable to help themselves the way other people are.

Luke1993

I don't like to think about or watch these things because I know there's nothing I can do about it.

Brightinfinity

jneal25 said:
Don't get mad at me for asking, but are you guys more sensitive to the suffering of animals than that of other human beings? Thats been in the back of my mind because of a few posts Ive seen in the past.

I kind of am. All suffering is bad, but animal abuse seems to affect me more because animals are helpless against what adults can do.
Child abuse affects me too - I was emotionally (and kind of physically) abused - yet I could watch through the child abuse pictures but had to stop once the animal abuse pictures started.

U

userremoved

Well when I look at it that way then I can say I understand. The only reason I posed the question is because I know of so many out there who are completely oblivious to hurting other people but they love their pets. Even the people who bullied me growing up had love and compassion for their dogs but they could find none in their hearts for me. Which made me feel like less than an animal. In the end I let my emotions get in the way again and stuck my foot in my mouth when I asked and had not really watched the clip all the way through either.

Last edited:

Emily_G

It's a good question, lots of people are.

Yes and no. No because suffering is suffering, we all feel it. Yes because humans can ban together and do something about it, whereas animals can't. And other people, most of them, will fight against human suffering much quicker than they do animal suffering.

lyricalliaisons

Well when I look at it that way then I can say I understand. The only reason I posed the question is because I know of so many out there who are completely oblivious to hurting other people but they love their pets. Even the people who bullied me growing up had love and compassion for their dogs but they could find none in their hearts for me. Which made me feel like less than an animal. In the end I let my emotions get in the way again and stuck my foot in my mouth when I asked and had not really watched the clip all the way through either.

Most people who abuse other people, also abuse their animals. Whenever there is abuse of an animal going on in a home, in most cases, people are also being abused & vice versa. One way animal protective agencies can tell people in the home are being abused is by the way their animals are being treated.

Personally. I didn't even attempt to watch the video & won't. I psychologically can't handle watching anyone, animal or human, being hurt or abused in any way.