What situations do you fear?

babegolden20

:eek: for me going inside a grocery store. I used to dip and dap through the isles because i could not walk through the main interest where people are. I fear being at a stadium with lots of ppl. Riding the train or but because you have to be so close to other ppl. Then i tense up and get nervous which really makes ppl stare i practilly try to run out of stores and then....lol ppl are like uom with there throat...lol kinda funny though:D

planemo

I fear any situation where I "feel" I am the centre of attention. Like walking into a supermarket or entering a room full of people. I also especially fear having to display some form of communication in front of people. If I can just blend in without saying anything, I feel a lot better.

I remember going to a psychologist whose room was situated well inside the hospital building. To enter though I had to walk pass the entrance filled with people, most of whom were sitting down and having something to eat. I remember the situation well, coz barely minutes after "feeling" everyone's eyes on me, I related it to my psych. And I remember what he told me...

"oh, so you're a celebrity now? And once people notice you they can't take their eyes of you, because of how famous you are?" He said it in a sarcastic tone not to be mean but to show me how irrational my feeling of being the centre of attention was. It's become a bit better these days, but it's still there.

EscapeArtist

Letsee...
Situations I fear out of social anxiety...
When I am around people that I have what seems to be nothing in common with other than being human.
Large groups of people, especially if they are in an enclosed atmosphere!
And something I realized recently; I get anxious in unnatural settings (houses, streets, etc). It feels like... I am in 'their' world, because it is so unfamiliar, and this gives me the feeling of not belonging or being too out of place. It also makes it seem like they are attune with things and I am not. Somehow being in a natural setting makes me feel comfortable, like there are no standards, like I am on "nobody's" territory, sense of improvising, and no structured WAY.... Directionless, and like we are equals.

unleashed

all situations where i anticipate feeling awkward and or self-concious:

people teasing me in front of others,

going back to work after new years and having colleagues kiss me or shake my hand,

job interviews,

new jobs,

leaving a job and having to endure a farewell gathering,

birthdays,

phone calls,

going to the doctor,

being the last person to get on an overcrowded bus and the driver saying its too full,

getting shut in the bus doors

a colleague wanting to give me a lift home

dooby-duck

Any situation where I might get picked out or talked to. I also hate situations where I feel trapped. I need to have an escape route. I hate shops, especially supermarkets and large shops like that.

My nightmare shop is Argos. They take your money and you have to wait for your item. The only real panic attack I've had outside of my home was in an Argos.

I also hate restaurants because food seems to worsen my anxiety and the trapped feeling can become really intense.

Situations with people in it. ::p:

I'm afraid of situations, which would make me feel embarrassed, or afraid to make failures.
Especially situations with a huge amount of people.
Specific, Traveling by bus/train, waiting lines, groceries, supermarkets.
College, making phone calls, approach people to ask the direction.
Going to the doctor, job interviews, the beach, so busy. but nice.:)

Phoenixx

Situations where I'm the center of attention, such as speech giving (Ugh! ::(:), or just giving a presentation for a project at school or something.

Situations where I could be, or am, called on, like in class. :S

Any situation where I'm teased, either in front of other people or not.

mint

I have too many to list.

Making phone calls, even if I know the person. I really hate answering the phone, especially my parents' home phone because it has no call ID.

Going to the counter in a fast food restaurant to order. I can do it if I'm not by myself but approaching them on my own is too scary.

Asking an employee in a store to help me find something. I generally say no thanks when they offer to help even if I can't find it.

Being anywhere and not knowing when and how I will leave. I start feeling trapped.

Walking into a room and people watching as I walk through and sit down. Especially a classroom.

Being watched while I eat. I feel like I am going to be judged on the way I eat or what I'm eating.

Having to answer a question or respond to something someone says immediately. I have to think over options and recite conversations in my mind with people I'm not comfortable with.

Sometimes when I'm actually holding a conversation with a person, there are certain questions and topics that trigger fear. If they bring certain things up I freeze up and can't talk anymore.

I have never been able to approach someone and just start up conversation or even introduce myself. I've always had to wait for people to talk to me first in order to make friends. Which is probably why the majority of my friends are outgoing and think the way I behave is weird.

MaliceInWickedland

Walking to my classes at school - My school is overcrowded after the only other high school in the district was shut down by a law suit and we're practically should-to-shoulder in the hallway and I feel so awkward after continuously bumping into people who walk too slow (I speed walk at school to get to class and out of the crowds faster)

Getting called on in class - I despise that feeling of pressure you get from the teacher waiting on you and the students looking at you like you're some kind of idiot

Presentations - for obvious reasons...

Restaurants - I always feel like I'm being watched as I eat and I usually end up eating very little as a result. Being seated and leaving the seat is the worst part for me because I hate walking through those aisles where all the booths and tables are where people look at you as you walk through

Having conversations with people - I rarely ever know what to talk about, especially when meeting someone new. When I actually do come up with something to say, I feel like I said something stupid and made the person think I'm weird

Making/Receiving phone calls - I never know what to say and whenever I hear the phone ring I just let it ring unless it's my mom.

Introducing myself - especially on the first day of school when your teacher makes you introduce yourself or say random stuff about yourself like your favorite food or color... simply pointless and aggravating...

Public restrooms - I hate waiting in line in crowded bathrooms and get anxious when leaving the stall and seeing other people waiting on me. I never use the bathrooms at school as a result and basically hold it the entire day unless I excuse myself during class.

Waiting in line at amusement parks - I get claustrophobic with so many people surrounding me

And anything else that involves being around or encountering strangers; being around people in general

Last edited:

FountainandFairfax

in a VAN down by the RIVER
Getting trapped with someone where’s theres no recourse but to make small-talk. I am the world’s worst small-talker. “Yeah, yeah… Oh yeah. I can see that, sure. Well, that’s probably for the best. Oh really?” — Then I just repeat that whole cycle while my face cramps from the smile I’m holding.

I wish I was a bird. Ha Ha

Kiwong

Exchanging things by hand
Being observed while doing something, especially the above
specifically service stations, restuarants, registration tables, hotel reception desks, supermarket checkouts.
Going to meetings, courses
Travelling on trains with adolescent school aged children (reminds me of being bullied).
People whispering. I have been whispered and gossiped about.

Gerdje

Next to a fear of leaving the house in the first place, telephone calls, doing shopping, just walking on the street, monthly doctor visits, fear of sleeping (living with my old mom, I have this unhealthy habit of watching here every hour when she's sleeping to hear if she still breaths, I'm so obsessed with the fearfull thougths about losing here that I'm scared to sleep, sleep only 2 to 3 hours over day during the last month(s), fear of being forced in situations that I can handle once or twice but not for longer periods, having my hear cut, dentist visits (hav'nt been for like 15 years), taking the elevator with others, panic attack (allthough haven't had one in 3 years due to meds and avoidance).