what is the best medicine for anxiety ?

EscapeArtist

strenuous exercise, a long jog or vigorous run. Weight lifting.
For me, I discovered i'm gluten and dairy intolerant, and going off of gluten and dairy has helped me a lot with both anxiety and depression! (except when I "relapse", which is more often than it should be)
Daily exposure
Yoga and meditation
Kava through the tough times. (But I hate relying on things... nono)

strenuous exercise, a long jog or vigorous run. Weight lifting.
For me, I discovered i'm gluten and dairy intolerant, and going off of gluten and dairy has helped me a lot with both anxiety and depression! (except when I "relapse", which is more often than it should be)
Daily exposure
Yoga and meditation
Kava through the tough times. (But I hate relying on things... nono)

Nice! Good for you man. ::eek::

But I would seriously like people to post what type of medicine they have taken and how it's worked out for them... could be very helpful information

So to answer the original poster: I don't know which is best... but I can say that I have taken prozac and it has helped me a lot. I would definately recommend it, but I don't know how good it is compared to other medication for Social Anxiety.

SilentType

Banned
Maintaining a positive attitude at all times is the best medicine. It's much easier said than done, but you can battle the anticipatory anxiety of (insert feared event here) by simply erasing all of the negative thoughts that flood your mind and replacing them with positive ones. In other words, instead of thinking how horrible your next day at work is going to be because of (insert negative thoughts here), all you've got to do is replace those anxiety producing thoughts with positive ones.

Ok, I know how oversimplified I am making this seem, but after 6 years of panic disorder patient experience with psychiatrists and psychologists, this is what I've found to work best for calming my anxiety. Now think about this "medicine" I've just explained to you... I believe the only thing that makes us different from the non-anxious population is our very high ratio of negative to positive thoughts. By simply switching negative thoughts to positive ones before you allow them to determine your actions, you'll be well on your way to changing that ratio I mentioned before into the exact opposite.

This negative to positive thought ratio, by my definition, refers to all of the thoughts you have when you're not alone. Most of us here at SPW are plagued by negative thinking, and as easy as I make fixing this problem sound, I know just as well as you do that it's not easy at all. In fact, it can be a living hell forcing yourself to utilize your newly discovered positive thoughts to their full advantage in life.

What I'm trying to say is, thinking positive is fairly simple, but BEING positive can be a nightmare for those of us who have allowed anxiety (and negative thoughts) to control everything we do. Some of us, me included, have thrown in the metaphorical towel in life all because of anxiety. I've been agoraphobic for years now, but I know that the "medicine" I'm describing in this post is all that I need in order to regain the life that I've allowed to slip away due to anxiety.

This life of mine that I've been describing illustrates the difficulty of putting positive thoughts into action. I know exactly what I need to do to overcome my anxiety, but the panic attacks continue to keep me inside and jobless. This shows that overcoming anxiety is not about what you know; it's all about how you USE what you know. I plan to use the "medicine" I've described here until I have everything that I want in life, which isn't much (a trucking job, and a place to call my own).

Before dismissing this post, just know that the following words are true. Negative thinking will only lead to negative results in life. Positive thinking will lead to (yep, you guessed it :D) positive results.

As anxious people are riddled with negative thoughts, I challenge all of you anxiety sufferers to maintain a positive outlook on life. All negative thoughts must be turned positive and not be allowed to determine your decisions and actions. If you can use your positive thoughts to actually BE POSITIVE in your daily life, I guarantee that your life will change for the better. When I say be positive, I simply mean to remove any (maybe not all) restraints that anxiety has put on your life and be able to live freely, productively, and most importantly, happily.

Medicine, as in psychotropic drugs, are nothing but a temporary mask when it comes to those used for anxiety related problems. I've taken every anxiety medication under the sun, and I'm currently weaning myself off of a 6 year prescribed benzodiazepine dependency. I am prescribed 2mg of klonopin 3x daily, but for the last month I've taken 1mg 3x daily. This month I plan to go with .5mg 3x daily and we'll see where it goes from there. I don't need benzodiazepines. All they are is a crutch. I am who I am and I need to alter my thought processes, not my brain chemistry.

Thanks for reading this. Please join me in using this "medicine," as I've hereby prescribed it to everyone who has read this entire post (and everyone else with anxiety problems :p).

Peace

You're absolutely right. But like you said, using that thought medicine can be pure hell. Sometimes when using that thought medicine, it can be too challenging as your are trying to get ahead but the simple fact that your body is acting nervously (adrenaline rushing/shrunken brain/illogical thinking) makes it impossible to actually come through with it.

To be honest, I do believe that by using this "thought medicine" you can indeed overcome social anxiety, but it takes alot alot of work... which sometimes can be too much for a person - at which point medicine can help ;)

Thanks for sharing :)

staticreflex

sunshine and a baby kitten.

Really, it depends on the person, I would recommend consulting with a psychiatrist (not a general practitioner since in my experience they don't know very much or have sympathy for someone complaining of anxiety.) They should be able to suggest medication that can help your condition. I think alprazolam and mirtazapine are common anxiolytics but I'm not too familiar with them.

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
20090228_mg_kennedyd_0091.jpg

Oxazepam works for me when I'm having an panic attack.
It makes me calm, doesn't work all the time, but mostly it takes it away :)

harlseq

Nothing I've tried has really helped with the odd exception of ambien... No, I don't take ambien during the day but I have noticed that when I take it in the evening about an hour before I want to go to bed, that hour to 45 minutes is one of the calmest, most serene parts of my day. Little to no anxiety... I can think about things (like work, money, etc) without worrying and fretting myself into a hole like I usually do. That said, all you should do is think about things... don't do anything while under the influence of a medication like that.

I wake up the next morning feeling refreshed with my thoughts and ideas much more well sorted than they would have been otherwise.

Last edited:

Sinar_Matahari

Staticreflex is right. You should consult your doctor. A medication that may work well for one person, may produce negative side effects in another. For instance, anti-depressants have been known to worsen depression in some users. I'm not against people talking about their experiences with meds, but no one here (to my knowledge) has the authority to advise or prescribe medication.

moni10

I know it's not a serious problem but I've heard anti-depressants and anxiolytics could cause weight gain...Is that true?:confused:

Danfalc

Banned
Staticreflex is right. You should consult your doctor. A medication that may work well for one person, may produce negative side effects in another. For instance, anti-depressants have been known to worsen depression in some users. I'm not against people talking about their experiences with meds, but no one here (to my knowledge) has the authority to advise or prescribe medication.

Yeah +1 to this.It's weird how some medication works for one person,but causes others to feel worse or causes makes them feel suicidal.I don't think we really understand how the brain works which is why but that's a rant for another time.

I seem to be highly resistant to medication and my doctor is currently trying all sorts of weird and wacky and combination's in the hope's she can find something.But I find physical exercise to be one of the best things you can do to combat anxiety/depression.

Mokkat

Setraline/zoloft or other SSRIs are for depression, but they have been documented to help with anxiety and AVPD also.

Or - do some physical activities. It is a little harder than just swallowing a pill, but it has many bonuses instead of the problems that can come from use of medicine.
Exercising is good because 1. it flushes the cortisol from your system and 2. makes you more focused on your present + worry less about self-reflection

Daz

I bought some Sulphur the other day for some other problem and i read that it also stops anxiety/depression.

I lost my job yesterday and i haven't been worrying about it at all. In a way, I'm actually looking forward to what's around the corner. I really think this Sulphur has made a difference.

I'm surprised at how i calm i was during the whole process of me being dismissed.

How to Use Sulphur to Treat Medical Conditions | eHow.com

Last edited: