What do you do at parties?

boro

Drink, look at stuff pretending to be interested by it (paintings, photos, views out of the window), drink, talk awkwardly, retreat to the bathroom.

bigchris

We should organise a SPW party. It'd either be a huge hit and everyone would come out of their shells or it would go down like a lead balloon.

Well i usually dont go to em. If i do go, I stay wit ma best freind cuz he's usualy there, and he does all the talking, while I'm in the bakground. When he leaves to go dance or sumthing, I jus hang out where ever i am. Just hoping that sumbody else I know doesn't come up to me and talk, because I might ruin the conversation... Have one to go to friday, an not sure if i want to go...

Yep, its never failed me. I spent prom night with Elizabeth Bennett and Mr. Darcy lol.

Wow, you can bring a book to a party? And even prom? I didn't know you were allowed to do that :D That's a great idea. Awesome actually. It's like an icebreaker also, esp if there are other shy people there. The only problem is I'm an introvert and the noise of all the people talking would overwhelm my brain. Maybe I could bring earplugs too, haha.

I vote for having an online party in lieu of a real one, for practice. Just set a time and a thread. Everybody prepare your imageshacks with fun pictures to upload. Although it might have to be an all-day party, because everyone's in different time zones :) And you could just post a picture of the book you're reading in the corner if you wanted to.

Joolin

After years of trying to have fun at parties, I have finally realized that the only parties that I actually enjoy are the ones where I know everyone. I am way too anxious to interact with strangers at parties. The only exception of course is if I'm already completely wasted before I even go to the party.

Perfidion

I get "information overload". Too many new people, too much noise, bright light and raucous laughter. I find it very hard to relax and so my body language portrays me as being incredibly defensive. I'm obviously uncomfortable and that tends to make other people uncomfortable... and it's a sort of chain reaction of weirdness from there until the moment when I retreat to my car and leave.

I loathe parties, and yet in a one-on-one situation with someone, I'm perfectly fine. Add a few strangers and I crash and burn.

Reiji Moritsugu

I usually try to avoid them as if they were the plague [wait, they are.]
as I absolutely hate things like that...too many people, lights everywhere,
absolute displays of complete shallowness and people who can [censored].

But when I am forced to go because of circumstances, I usually drink as
much as it´s necessary to get me in that "over - talkative, completely - without -
inhibitions" state. I know, it´s not the best idea but at least it works for getting
through the night without going insane. When drinking is not an option, I usually
try to get into a corner and go as unnoticed as possible until it is over.

Oh well...

gsmax5

Don't go to 'real' parties, but at family ones I talk to the old people mostly. The further people are from my age, the better. They're more interesting anyway, all that life experience, war stories and all.

Yeah, that's also the only kind of party I've been to, and I feel exactly the same way about the age difference thing. Younger people are intimidated by you, and old people are less judgmental.

TheLoneWolf

I've been to a lot of parties. It's still akward a lot for me because i still havent developed a lot of confidence. I try to talk too the people I know and introduce myself to people I don't know. Playing drinking games is pretty fun and it's easy because the focus isn't on you. Like, asking someone to play beer pong can be a good way to gret to know someone too. Honeslty, you can really do whatever you want at a party. But yeah, here are some things I keep in mind. If you talk to someone, don't answer any questions with yes or no answers. Try to make your responses more detailed and interesting. Look at them when you talk to them. Talk in a confident voice. Don't be too serious about what you're doing. And if the conversation goes bad, know that not every conversation for the rest of the night will be bad and almost everyone has bad conversations sometimes. For different reasons, a lot of people are socially receptive, not proactive. They won't talk to you unelss you talk to them first. It'll get easier the more you go to, unless you're just naturally good at socializing. Also, always have a comfort zone that you can go to if you start to feel bad while you're there. I wish I wasn't so depressed, I think I could do better talking if I wasn't. Sorry for the rambling.
no youre absolutely right

Sure_whynot

What do you do at parties? Any ideas for success at parties would be greatly appreciated.

The answer's obvious... get smashed! haha

Dont give yes or no answers, it makes people think that you dont want to talk to them. I know its not that easy, and thats not why. But this is what people conclude most of the time.

If you can practice that, you'll have MUCH more success.

If you can force yourself to be social, take chances, or do things your normally uncomfortable with (the booze helps with this. lol)... then you'll eventually get over all of those problems. Remember, "If your work is not grueling, then your goal is not worth achieving."

klytus

Getting drunk is such a very very horrible feeling, so why would anyone want to get drunk?
I don't get it. I am amazed how much people my age must drink until they actually feel drunk. They got used to it, and drinking became an integral part of their social activities. In fact, they all have feelings of social anxiety of varying intensity and need to drink to be able to do what they would love to without, but can't. The actual appeal is that alcohol is a means to escape the miserable reality of their existence, because they know deep down that it's all pointless. People are weak-minded life-forms. They drink because others do. It's conforming pack-behaviour drawn out of an innermost craving for being accepted socially, which in itself is pathetic.

Last edited:

Rodox

I havent been to a party in years,I had so much fun at those parties,I miss having that kind of fun........