What do I do about lazy roommates?

Kathryn.fr

So... I live with my friend, and her fiance. It's easier for me sense they're both trans too. But I leave every few days to stay at my friends downtownish (30 minutes train ride) so I can look for a job. I'll stay there for like a week or so but whenever I leave here I make sure stuff is somewhat clean, specially if I used it. I try to keep up on dishes, but when I come back...from 2 weeks, the sick is filled past the freakin fosset! How is that possible for two people. Now they want me to clean it all pretty much because they're jsut too out of it. They don't do anything though, and I want help cleaning, but they wont if one slacks off. Or if one stops for something the other follows or b**ches that she's not cleaning. I feel like a mother of two adults. The kitchen is like...a cesspool right now. Just nasty. I had it spotless when I left so I'd know I made none of the mess and now it's back to the way it was when I moved in. I can't keep doing that, having to clean someone elses apartment spotless every other week? They wont do it, they say theyre going to then they're like "ugh this is a mess...il ldo it tomorrow" or "ohhh I forgot thats all" They're just lazy right? I'm not being a b*tch? my friend doesn't even work, she just stays in her cave eating trail mix and skyping. I think it's time I better start looking harder for some sort of job. I want my own place or at least a roommate that knows how to clean her messes. All this just makes me angry and sick and makes my anxiety horrible.

fitftw

I'd confront them or leave them a note. If that doesn't work...

Eventually I would think that when there is no more room for dirty plates, they would have no choice but to clean. Let it get really REALLY bad just once and see if they do something about it.

Kathryn.fr

That sounds good. I'd clean everything else, but I'm not touching the kitchen. Most times they'll let it get bad, and when they're forced to do dishes, they just order out instead. As if that helps any because they have trash bags everywhere just fueling the landfill. Lol. I'll clean what I can atm and maybe they'll notice and do their share.

And heres the mess so far xD

2z4ae5i.jpg

2aj0ui1.jpg

Last edited:

fitftw

oh my, I wasn't expecting a mess of that magnitude.

Wow.

That's terrible. There must be fruit flies galore, and ants/roaches maybe, too. Jesus Christ. I'd move out asap. I couldn't deal with that.

I put my plate and utensils right into the dishwasher after I eat. If I didn't have a dishwasher, I'd wash them by hand. I take the garbage out when it's full. How hard is it, really?

Kathryn.fr

Theres no flies, or roaches, or ants. Just a nasty nasty smell. It lingers through the apartment, I use like, one plate and bowl throughout the day almost. I'm very clean, and I stick everything into the dishwasher right after. I just dont get it, even someone working full time has time on their hands to clean their own ****ing mess. I did. And it's just two people, we have about 15 bowls..all dirty, like 30 plates, all trashed. I just don't get it. It's like they don't mind living that way.

WeirdyMcGee

You can live in a pigsty or clean it yourself, basically...
Any of the lazy slobs I know say they don't care about the mess and absolutely refuse to clean. They'd rather move and mess up a clean slate than clean up the mess they already have.

You can try confronting them, but I really doubt it'll help.
I'm sorry... that mess would drive me insane!! AHH!

Kathryn.fr

I'm just caving in, I'm starting to take out the trash you see in the pics, the bags on the floors. Popcorn, wine bottles, I'm just tossing everything. It makes me want to cry, and the person that pays most the rent here saw me walk by with two of those large bags and was just like "Oh thank you Kat" no one even gets a hint. The other one is just on her skype sh*t while I'm cleaning their asses.

Kathryn.fr

I'm not going to do the dishes. I'll make it clear enough for someone to pick up after me. It feels like, apparently cleaning every mess is my job. So if I'm away for 2-3 weeks it's just, "Oh well wait for Kat to come home so she can clean it all."

panicsurvivor

Oh my god!!!! I would crack some serious skulls if my roomates did that to my house. The way I see it you have three choices that might work.
1. GET NEW ROOMATES!!! Some people are just not compatible as roomates. They may be the best friends you ever had, but living with them is just not wise. Plus, you can ruin a good friendship living with the wrong friend. I can tell you that a good 60 percent of the people out there do NOT live like that.
2. Give up. Just keep your own utensils, clean them when you are done with them, and just spend your time in your room. You don't need to even let them in. Don't clean up after them anymore. They don't respect their home enough to care, why should you?
3. Get paid for your work. Tell them you don't mind cleaning up after them, as long as your rent gets decreased. Whatever you think it is worth, 50 dollars a month, 100 or even 200. Maids usually get about 10 dollars an hour where I live. Your roomates might even jump at the chance. When I was 20 I lived with a two friends in a pretty big house. One of them was a girl who really didn't make much money. She offered to do this for us if we ducked her rent 100 dollars a month. We jumped at the chance!!! Good luck!l:cool:

coyote

if you're renting, and you're on the lease, you could end up being held responsible for the condition of the place

not sure what the best move is, but they don't seem to be the type who you are going to get to change

so either you're going to have to leave, or they are - before you get in some kind of trouble with your landlord.... or the health department

Hey, panicsurvivor, long time no see :]

Last edited:

panicsurvivor

if you're renting, and you're on the lease, you could end up being held responsible for the condition of the place

not sure what the best move is, but they don't seem to be the type who you are going to get to change

so either you're going to have to leave, or they are - before you get in some kind of trouble with your landlord.... or the health department

Oh right!!!! That completely slipped my mind. He is completely right!!!!! If you are the one on the lease this could hurt you in a few different ways. I you are, Choose my first option right away and get someone else to live with you.

Hi Coyote! I hope all is well with you.

Last edited:

Marund

DUDE.. DUUUUDE

that is not a weekends mess that is an entire 3 months of mess

it takes a while for it to accumulate like that

IKNOW WHAT YOU CAN DO :D

threaten to throw **** out. Just start collecting everything. Putting it in garbage bags. Be like "I dont know whose dutch oven this is but its going in the trash cause i cant stand this anymore!!"

And just cary on. You are NOT being a bitch for this. This is called standing up for what is necessary. WHAT MOST PEOPLE EXPECT!! THey will come around and try to stop you. Tell them if they dont wash it now, you are going to put it in the trash right after they leave. That way they have to defend their stuff. Mostly aim for stuff. Like forks, knives, can openers etc

You are not a bitch or abnormal at all for saying these things. That is freaking absurd on their part . :eek:

Sprunk

That's just nasty.You need to GTFO pronto.Just leave and let the low-life's that live there deal with it.There is no way i would live like that

Last edited: