Wanting to stop existing?

SophiaL

Would that be considered suicidal? Because I know sometimes during my most depressed times, I want to stop existing. But I don't know if that means I want to die. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Or does this make no sense to anybody but me?

Last edited by a moderator:

DSK91

It depends on the context. Suicidal thinking is more common than you would think. Planning the details of suicide is usually when it becomes worrisome. What you need to think about is what you mean by 'stop existing.' Where does the thought stem from? What provokes the thought, and when? If you feel like you can't pull yourself from the current of negative thoughts, there is something called mindfulness you can try. Check out Eckhart Tolle.

Also, don't be afraid to see a therapist (CBT or psychologist). They won't lock you up and put you on sedatives. They're there to straighten your thinking out.

Kiwong

No, I don't think so. There have been times when I have seen no point in my existence and would not care if I ceased to exist. I think that is depression.

But I've never been in such extreme mental pain that my life became so unbearable that the only option seemed to be ending it all. That is suicidal.

Whoopdeedoo

Ive definetly feel that
I dont wanna like die
Thats permanent & irreversible
It just hurts so much Sometimes
i wish i could hit a life pause button
To stop the stimuli between my ears and outside of me
So i could be @ peace a little while or like process what just
Happened or what someone said so i can respond appropriately

There have been times when I have seen no point in my existence, and would not care if I ceased to exist. I think that is depression
I agree that is depression.

But I've never been is such extreme mental pain that my life became so unbearable that the only option seemed to be ending it all. That is suicidal
Unfortunately i have quite a few times (& i think the common element in all those times is depression of some sort). And i didn't even have the "option" of ending it all, else i might not be here today.

Would that be considered suicidal? Because I know, sometimes during my most depressed times, I want to stop existing. But I don't know if that means I want to die? Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
I think the level of thoughts, feelings, and urges determines what I would call 'semi-suicidal.' I've been in that state almost daily for the past few months (and on and off for the past few years). You really hate living and your life, and you wish you could just click your fingers or take a pill and have it all end (with no consequences, drama, etc.). You think of both general and specific ways and means, maybe even researching them on the web. You might have a constant or regular fascination with all things death-related (all the many various ways, metaphysics/afterlife/spirits/etc.).

Being 'suicidal' is, I guess, being at a 'critical' point, usually of very temporary duration (e.g., emotional upset or shock), where one is right on the verge of attempting to use one of the aforementioned methods above to end one's life (or have attempted it in practice).

For myself, a 'good day' is one where I never once during it have thoughts, feelings, or urges at the 'semi-suicidal' level I mentioned above.

Yes, death (and suicide) is a taboo subject. And like a few other topics in life, I think that there is considerably more benefit in discussing these things openly (supportively, of course, but not supporting... you know), or at the very least having all relevant information, facts, and truths readily available (in my humble opinion).

YellowBird

I'm sorry to hear that you've been experiencing major depression for the past few months. It sounds like you've been feeling a lot of pain and hopelessness, and have even considered suicide as a way out. I'm glad to hear that your mood has improved and that you have found hope. It's important to remember that things can get better and that there is always hope, even in the darkest of times. It's important to hang in there and seek help when needed. Remember that you're not alone and that there are people who care and want to support you.

Feathers

Sophia, you're so beautiful! (If that's you in the avatar!)

But do you eat enough? :) Sorry to ask, you might be lacking some important nutrients though.

I felt kind of like what you are describing a few times too (once after taking some fishy multivitamins two days in a row, I think) - not suicidal (I've felt suicidal before so I know the difference). I just thought how it would be if I died/stopped existing... My therapist asked me to describe the circumstances in which I've been suicidal before, and they seemed similar to what I've been going through at the time... so, things to consider.

Can you get therapy or change your life so it would be better? (After I was suicidal in the past, I changed my life quite a bit and things improved very much.) Easier said than done, I know, but many self-help books helped me on the way, and luckily I had some good opportunities also. My life now seems more difficult to change, but you are young and can still change a lot!

Wishing you good luck & ((Hugz))!!"

Elulla

There have been many times when I just wanted to go to sleep and not wake up in the morning, but I always do. I did make an attempt the other month, but ended up just being ill. I've always got the thoughts in my head that it doesn't matter what I do, it's never enough. I'm never enough, and I wish there was a pill I could take and it would all be over

WeirdyMcGee

I feel this way all the time. I don't think it's necessarily considered 'suicidal,' but it could be considered 'suicidal thoughts.' I always wish I could just stop existing, to go to sleep and not wake up, and for no one to remember my life -- just carry on without me. It's like a fantasy I have of disappearing and not feeling anything anymore.

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
I feel this way all the time. I don't think it's necessarily considered 'suicidal,' but it could be considered 'suicidal thoughts.' I always wish I could just stop existing, to go to sleep and not wake up, and for no one to remember my life -- just carry on without me. It's like a fantasy I have of disappearing and not feeling anything anymore.ust carry on.

Could not have put it better myself. I have been thinking exactly the same thing, just recently.