Virgin at 22

Well the title kind of explains it all, I would just like to find out if anyone is in the same situation as me and I would like to understand if this is normal or not.

This is going to be a long one, firstly I was brought up in an environment where my parents had a difference of opinion on a child's upbringing, my father was understanding and his outlook was if he's old enough to ask a question I'll try and answer it best I can, my mother on the other hand was hush hush about any questions I had because I wasn't old enough or I wouldn't understand because I was only a child, their was a split in the upbringing and alot of disagreements, this undoubtedly led to my parents breaking up at the age of 14.

So I lived with my father, skipped two years of school because I didn't like what was going on around me and then went straight into college (UK college). After going into college, I found myself to be more open and be myself more, but I couldn't keep that up, I tried bonding with my mother but my father got annoyed with the fact I was trying to see her more, and my mother got annoyed that I was living with my father, so this ultimately just made me anxious around anyone and everyone, and I still do to this day, I feel like no one likes me because of the way I am, I don't think I'm myself anymore.

All my acquaintances (not friends) think I'm weird because I ain't lost my V yet, I don't mean to be big headed but I do look alright and I'm not overweight, I workout everyday etc. Every time there is an opportunity I seem to freeze and try to avoid the situation completely, maybe this has something to do with the ONE girl friend in my life that cheated on me within a week of dating her, who knows. I suppose this thread is just a rant, but still I would like to know if this is normal and if this can be resolved in anyway, does get you down a little bit when you think in the near future after everyone's gone that you cared about you're going to be socially inept for the rest of your life unless you can do something to change.

Sorry for talking so much, just need to rant.

Last edited:
I'm turning 24 on the 7th, so I WIN :cool: Don't really care though, I've learned that there's no reason to and that it's better that way. Search these forums for the word "virgin" and you should find some good information... there's countless of topics/posts on it ;)

Haha ok you win, I would like to have your outlook, but society tells us otherwise, to "not be weird". I sometimes just try to ignore the crap the media and people throw at you constantly, but it always seems to creep into the back of my mind, seems like I'm unique in a negative way (as society dictates).

Iseesky

There are MANY virgins on this website! Very attractive people too. Nothing wrong with it. Some just haven't found the right opportunity. Some are saving themselves for marriage. Some are just too scared to even talk to the opposite sex (or the same sex...whatever) let alone sleep with them (*cough* me *cough*)!

I'm a 19-year-old female and a virgin. Sometimes it bothers me, sometimes it doesn't. I know plenty of other people who are virgins still. People who are outgoing and go to parties and school functions...People you'd think would have lost their virginity a long time ago!

I figure you might as well wait for a good opportunity. Not a perfect one (if such a thing even exists!), but a decent one. Find someone you care about and feel comfortable with. It's nobody's business who you've slept with or who you haven't. I think the fact that people care so much just shows that they'd be very insecure about themselves if they were in your position. And they shouldn't be.

Yeah, I just did a search, quite alot of posts which do make me feel alot better about myself heha, but yeah, thanks for responding and making me feel a bit better.

At least I'm not alone!

Thanks guys.

agoraphobickatie

don't apologize for ranting! :) it helps to make you feel better anyway! lol

you're definitely not alone at all, dude! 22 is still young.. and i'm 22, so don't say it's not! haha! no, i'm not a virgin, but there are plenty of things that i could be doing at 22 that i'm not... thing is, we're all different people, we all do things differently and live our own lives.. at some point you just have to quit worrying about the standards of anyone else and do your own thing, at your own pace and just look out for #1... what i mean is, i'm 22 with no steady boyfriend (while plenty of my friends are married/ingaged/in a serious relationship), i have 2 college classes under my belt and am currently NOT in school (while almost all of my friends have graduated with a BS degree), and i'm also unemployed (while effing everyone i know has a job) AND i live at home (while most of my friends live on their own) ...SO! lmao.. i just don't let it get me down, i'm not living anyone elses life and nobody is living mine for me, i've hit some bumps in the road that have kept me from moving forward with my life, but i'm still truckin', i'm learning as i go and one day i'll be "up to speed", but it's just not important to me what anyone else thinks "up to speed" is, i'm as happy as could be expected, and that's fine with me, i have my goals but it's up to me to accomplish them, not anyone else....

i just went blabbing, sorry, but i hope you kinda get what i'm trying to say?? lol.. don't fret, just live, get happy with yourself, etc etc.. :)

fitftw

I sometimes wish I were still a virgin. You've gone a long way, you might as well save it until marriage and then you'll appreciate it more than I did/do.

It's strange I've had more support in the last 2 hours or so on this forum than most of my acquaintances have given me in the past 6 years. Agoraphobickatie I completely understand what you're saying and I'll try and live for the moment and not try to worry about other peoples thoughts, even though this can be hard at times least I can do is think positively, being stuck in the same thought process has hindered me in the past with putting people first and not myself, sound advice, thanks.

Also fitftw, I don't think I plan on getting Married ever after witnessing my parents hahaha, but yeah I have heard you can fall easily for the person you lose it to waaaay too much, so I'll try and choose carefully.

Thanks people. Much Appreciated. :)

Mr.Moon

Let me start by saying I am 26 years old and proud to still be a virgin. Mostly because I believe in waiting for the right one before going so far with a gal. It's to special a thing to just give up on someone you do not truely love.
So do not feel ashamed about that~

Your parents sound silly though I must admit.. you should be able to bond with both of them to your own liking. Maybe you could try it secretive by telling them both not to tell the other or something.

Generical

Coming from someone who can't take their own advice lol i think it's best just to work on yourself, you got the physical bit down but i mean career, actually i don't like that word.....'life' i mean but the work bit heh. Main thing i want right now is a plan. Ever since i've been outta school i've just been floating around like a bum, a plan feels so secure if you get what i mean. (oh yeh i give advice by talking about myself - haha i dont know if that actually works) i mean i can relate. Although i don't really know where you are in that sense but when you feel you're getting somewhere with life i can totally see being able to improve on other parts as you have like a base of confidence that you can lean against (yeh) and fall back on kinda thing. Especially as i think one of most common places of meeting someone is at work, and it's not like on tv where poeple are like 'i don't date coworkers' buuull****. It's a neutral place where the main goal isn't to pull or find a date just do your work and you'll get to know the people around you naturally and unforced. I'm currently working with my dad so that doesn't really work for me lmao but just working on yourself so you feel secure and basically successful, safe you can work on the next thing.

Also you now get FREE music with every post! Just happened to be listening, also he was in terminator!

Last edited:
Well I don't feel ashamed, it's just rather annoying in crowds on how everyone in the whole group seems to focus on what I haven't done yet, they seem to think they are better than you just because you ain't had a screw yet, which also brings forward my frustrations with people, which probably makes me anxious around people, but I will try to work on the problems handed to me with some certain people in the near future.

As for my parents, yes, they can be retarded which also frustrates me, I do feel closer to my father for the simple fact I was brought up with him mostly and he did feel guilty for the split up, so I would like to see my mother more. I think like you said I just need to see them both secretly which is kind of sad but it's a work around.

Also I work as a Fireman, so there is hardly any women at work and I never go out, just sit in the station waiting for a call. There is 2 chicks at work and both are married haha. I do get along with most people at work, it's just outside work which is rather annoying. Also, sometimes not having a plan can be the best thing in life, things always come to you when you least expect it, did for me with my job.

Still thanks to all of you for listening. :)

Last edited:

Generical

Fireman! Sweet, well most of what i was saying is a tad redundant then lol but maybe you can do the backdraft hero bit?...No, I can see what you're saying though not exactly the best place. Well there's always the expand your horizons theory, not exactly the Yes Man thing but doing something that your interested in. But to be honest i'm quite clueless in this. Good luck though ;)