Unhelpful things 'sane' people say

"There are people out there that have it much worse than you. You should be grateful." also a comment said to me when I tried to commit suicide at 16 by a doctor'
"I could be curing cancer instead of helping you. Maybe you should have done it since you're so ungrateful."
:eek: A doctor with no idea about mental health whatsoever!?

That is scary. :sad:
I would have asked my parents to make a complaint against him to hospital management.

SoScared

A while ago someone posted some science based information about how those with SA produce some kind of chemical message that those without SA pick up on and cause the people without SA to automatically be wary of the person with SA.

You can see it in real life. People tend not to like anxious people.

What this means is that those with SA will always be excluded because of the chemical signals that they emit and are transmitted unwillingly to normal people who then chemically react themselves.

I want to understand the science of this. Which chemicals? Does anybody remember these posts?

"She is more neurotic than you are"

"So it's like your in Kindergarten, and you need someone to hold your hand"

"What's wrong with you"

"There is no need for you to cry"

"She looks like she is on drugs"

"It's the quiet ones you have to look out for"

this is one of my fav's.. :eek:mg:

Yeah, that one in particular. I hate that one so much. It solidifies so strongly why I am as anxious as I am. People judge what they don't understand so strongly, and most of the time without any investigation.

The mentality suggests that just because you don't wear every facet of your psychology on your sleeve its reason for concern. I feel it's a problem stemming from the average person obsession with control.

If an unknown or eccentric element is introduced to their environment it causes immediate alarm because they don't have any knowledge or means of controlling that situation. Therefore it's looked down upon as a (potential) threat.

AlienGeranium

"Oh my god, are you Buddhist?! Is that why you're so quiet?!"

I am not Buddhist.

I won employee of the month once, and they put a board up for me with facts about me. On the board, there was a list of explanations for why I was so quiet. One was that I was a buddhist monk, another was that I was batman, and the third was ether that I was a ninja or a spy (I don't quite remember).

I decided to commit to the batman one.

squidgee

I won employee of the month once, and they put a board up for me with facts about me. On the board, there was a list of explanations for why I was so quiet. One was that I was a buddhist monk, another was that I was batman, and the third was ether that I was a ninja or a spy (I don't quite remember).

I decided to commit to the batman one.

Lol, I've had the ninja one as well. I remember a past friend said I reminded him of Snake Eyes from G.I Joe. Those aren't so bad though since they all seem to be pretty badass characters. The worst I've had was a random classmate who said "do you have autism?"

INsane

This is one I hate hearing from doctors, it's happened to me way too many times. Usually regarding complaints, very legitimate ones, that may seem uncommon in someone my age group, etc.

"You don't look sick, I don't think think there is anything wrong with you. It's all in your head" I've heard that and similar things way too many times. It's the reason I avoided doctors for years and just silently suffered constantly.

I now for sure it's NOT in my head nor has any of it every been after getting a diagnosis. Sure looking healthy is a good thing, but looking healthy and being healthy aren't the exact same thing. I also hate it when they use stress and the answer for everything. I understand that stress can cause significant health problems, but I feel like a lot of doctors just throw it around when they don't have an answer.

insane again

And for just everyday people I have a whole lot too!

"Speak" What am I a dog?

Being told to just breathe during a panic attack...

"You look terrified, what's wrong with you?"

"Stop being shy" yeah, I WISH there was an off switch...

I'm sure there any may more as well..

Izzie

All the usual 'aren't you quiet' etc

Worst I hated as a kid was 'Oh, I forgot you where even there!'

I've had a couple people tell me that I 'should just stop thinking so much' - like it's a choice I make to go over everything in my head fanaticaly and the other 'think positively' - like that magics everything better.

Diagnosed with chronic fatigue the Doctor wrote me off saying they could do nothing to help and told me to drink more water and excersise - thanks cause that doesn't sap my barely there anyway energy!

Kiwong

I have had that one from Doctors too. "It's just stress, there's nothing wrong, sometimes doctors don't have answers."