UK meetup?

What do you think of an SPW meetup in the UK?

• Total voters

worrywort

I'm in berkshire, and I'd be up for travelling about 100-mile radius I reckon...maybe more.

I'm pretty flexible as to when we meet up, but weekends would be best for me, and also sometime over the summer might be nice too!

I like the idea of doing something too. I don't really mind what. I'd be happy to stroll around a new city I'd never been to before and just look around. Or maybe cinema? Or maybe there might be some kind of event going on, like a fun fair or a show of some kind....I don't know. I'm easy.

I think, if I'm honest, I'd be slightly less keen to sit in a pub or cafe for a few hours and just talk.....[unless it's a nice, happy, non-threatening pub! ;)]...but if that's what others would like to do, I'd be happy to do it too.

p.s. To those guys still on the fence about meeting up, I'm gonna be crapping myself too, but just think of all those times you've thought to yourself, "I wish my life was more adventurous, or this or that...I wish I took more risks and really lived life"....well, I reckon this is a really good opportunity, because you're gonna be in really safe hands....cause we're ALL gonna have SA so we'll ALL know what it's like....so there'll be no judging!!! [at least from my part I can guarantee there won't be!:)]

worrywort

p.p.s!......or the ZOOOOO!!!!:eek::)...I'd LOVE to go to the zoo.....although it might cost a bit....but still, would be awesome!

princess_haru

look princess haru, im not lending you any money!

Lol ::p:

I know you're kidding around (I think so anyway, lol) but just to be completely 100% clear, the only reason I mentioned my money probs is that I didn't want anyone to think I was bottling out of meeting up after being the one to suggest it! I definitely do still want to do this at some point! :)

Sorry to hear about that princess_haru, I was recently made redundant as well, sucks doesn’t it. Just a little idea, what about a day trip somewhere? Instead of travelling all the way, just to sit down and be nervous, why not be nervous while doing something interesting while making friends?

Aw sorry to hear you've been made redundant too, seems like it's happening to everyone at the moment! I hope you find something else soon. What were you doing before?

Worrywort, you've got some really good ideas there! I'd be happier with having an activity rather than sitting around in a pub/cafe too, makes things much more chilled out and fun! :D And meeting up over the summer sounds good - higher chance of nice weather plus gives us a chance to sort things out (and gives me a chance to sort a job out, lol!) What does everyone else think about activities and meeting in the summertime?

Danfalc

Banned
What does everyone else think about activities and meeting in the summertime?

I think its a good idea,im not sure how well id cope in a group situation but who knows i might i find it not as bad as i expect.

I think doing some sort of activity is a really good idea,it takes the pressure off being sat round some small table making awkward small talk and avoiding eye contact ::p: Maybe go somthing like bowling where it has a bar so we can have a drink and stuff aswell.

Id maybe be up for it,but i couldnt handle it right now but id deffo consider it at some point in the future.I can only really travel by train so i might me kind of limited in where i can go (Im from Greater Manchester (nw).

I would love to meet up with you all. However, I have only been on this forum for a few weeks, and I would like to get to know people a little better. I can imagine myself going at some point, but I think I would bale at the last minute. The idea about the day trip would be excellent, maybe a visit to the coast?

I think its a good idea,im not sure how well id cope in a group situation but who knows i might i find it not as bad as i expect.

I think doing some sort of activity is a really good idea,it takes the pressure off being sat round some small table making awkward small talk and avoiding eye contact ::p: Maybe go somthing like bowling where it has a bar so we can have a drink and stuff aswell.

Id maybe be up for it,but i couldnt handle it right now but id deffo consider it at some point in the future.I can only really travel by train so i might me kind of limited in where i can go (Im from Greater Manchester (nw).

How people cope with eye contact I will never understand

I think noticing the eye contact starts it, if that makes sense. Sometimes I notice my breathing and mess the pattern up.

princess_haru

I would love to meet up with you all. However, I have only been on this forum for a few weeks, and I would like to get to know people a little better. I can imagine myself going at some point, but I think I would bale at the last minute. The idea about the day trip would be excellent, maybe a visit to the coast?

Another good suggestion :) Ok, so far we have the zoo, seeing a film, bowling and a trip to the coast (apologies if I've missed anything out! Please let me know if I have!) Does anyone else have any ideas for fun and non-socially-intense activities we could do? I really like theme parks (scary rides rock!) but I appreciate that might not appeal to everyone ;)

princess_haru

My trick is to look at thier eyebrows ;)

Yeah I try that sometimes. Eye-contact really freaks me out, I never know whether I'm not looking at them enough, or looking too intently and weirding them out by staring, so I tend to look away a lot ::(:

Yeah I try that sometimes. Eye-contact really freaks me out, I never know whether I'm not looking at them enough, or looking too intently and weirding them out by staring, so I tend to look away a lot ::(:

What about when you have to pass them a couple of times? I'm like "Do I have to look at them again."

I wouldn't recommend the cinema because you kinda have to sit there and be quiet (unless the film is awful and you start shouting at it - not that we'd do anything like that ;) ). The other things sound good, especially the coast. Theme parks are ok but i'm scared of heights and big rides. I'd have to watch.. :p

What about Great Yarmouth? Kind of meets everyone in the middle.

Remus

Staff member
middle of the country, great transport links, lots of places of interest, pubs and cafes:

York

york.jpg

HH

meeting up sounds like a great idea although I'd have to agree with release-theme park rides are not my thing-I absolutely hate heights. Meeting up somewhere in the middle of the country would be ideal but somewhere like great yarmouth would be even better.

Sea side, fish and chips, ice cream, fudge, my mouth is watering-someone get me towel :)

desoconnor

Ah, good point! Ok, looks like the best way to do this would be to PM anyone who votes yes and arrange the details privately so that no random (and possibly strange!) people get the details and turn up ;)

If you're excluding random and strange people I will have to skip it ::p:

princess_haru

What about when you have to pass them a couple of times? I'm like "Do I have to look at them again."

Lol yeah, or when you're walking towards them from a distance... If I see someone I know in the street and they're too far away to say hi to, I tend to pretend I've just noticed them when they're close up, so we don't have that whole awkward thing of periodically making eye contact and smiling as we're walking towards each other! ::eek:: Well, they probably don't think it's awkward, but it is to me!

princess_haru

I wouldn't recommend the cinema because you kinda have to sit there and be quiet (unless the film is awful and you start shouting at it - not that we'd do anything like that ;) ). The other things sound good, especially the coast. Theme parks are ok but i'm scared of heights and big rides. I'd have to watch.. :p

Yeah we wouldn't really get to know each other at all if we went to the cinema, I suppose! I mean, I don't think we want a really socially intense activity like sitting in a pub all day or going to a club and dancing (shudder! lol) but we do want to be able to talk a bit and have some fun, right? :)

What about Great Yarmouth? Kind of meets everyone in the middle.

That could be good, my brother went there yesterday with our uncle and aunt and really enjoyed it! I've never been but I'd like to go.

I´d like to come too if I was in England. Maybe I soon be, I hope so, but don´t know if I´d have time and depends where it is etc. etc. And if you take foreigners :D.

Hehe, of course! When are you planning on coming over to England?

middle of the country, great transport links, lots of places of interest, pubs and cafes:

York

Sounds good, it's somewhere I've wanted to go for a long time! There'd be lots to see and do and as you said it's in the middle of the country so it'd hopefully be fair to everyone transport-wise.

meeting up sounds like a great idea although I'd have to agree with release-theme park rides are not my thing-I absolutely hate heights. Meeting up somewhere in the middle of the country would be ideal but somewhere like great yarmouth would be even better.

Sea side, fish and chips, ice cream, fudge, my mouth is watering-someone get me towel

Mmm, there's something about seaside ice-cream that makes it taste better than ice-cream anywhere else, isn't there? Yeah I wasn't sure how many people would like the theme park idea, so we'll cross that one off for now then.

If you're excluding random and strange people I will have to skip it

Aw, hehe I wasn't talking about strange as in interesting and unusual, I was talking about scaaaary strange! So unless you're planning on turning up with a machete or something, I shouldn't think that includes you! ;)

Remus

Staff member
the guy who organises meets on SAUK, puts a newspaper on the table of the pub he waits in for everyone