U ever relate yourself to a school shooter?

Information

Stereotype of a School Shooter?
Does this sound familiar?
– a loner,No friends, refused talking to anyone, didn't want to be friends with anybody, just came to class every day and submits work on time,

Add these:

an intelligent person — quite a gifted student in some ways, but also seemed to be an awkward and very lonely person And sometimes, there is as long as a 20-second pause before the person would respond, (?) Hmm...

freedom of speech.The First Amendment to the United States Constitution codifies the freedom of speech as a constitutional right.

theoutsider

I can't say I relate. I think school shooters are a different breed who probably have some fantasies of mass murder that lurk beneath their quiet demeanor. I don't think they're nice people who just one day up and decide they can't handle other's cruelty anymore. Just my opinion.

Regret93

I'm sure I came across like that to people when I was in school. I was pretty antisocial, I hated everyone, but I wasn't bullied or anything, just ignored for the most part. I'm not so angry anymore, but I can understand how someone can get to that point.

Stereotype of a School Shooter?
Does this sound familiar?
– a loner,No friends, refused talking to anyone, didn't want to be friends with anybody, just came to class every day and submits work on time,

Add these:

an intelligent person — quite a gifted student in some ways, but also seemed to be an awkward and very lonely person And sometimes, there is as long as a 20-second pause before the person would respond, (?) Hmm...

freedom of speech.The First Amendment to the United States Constitution codifies the freedom of speech as a constitutional right.

I fit some of those things... BUT, in my mind, the following characteristics further describe an active shooter: total and blatant disregard for human life and the safety of others (obviously), a coward, yearning for infamy, self-loathing, most likely will commit suicide when faced with a good guy who's there to stop him/her. Just my take on some of their shared behaviors.

Odo

Banned
I definitely can... and I don't think that there's anything really special or unusual or inhuman about people who do this. I can't relate as much as an adult, but when I was a kid... I think it would have been pretty easy for me or other people in the school to have done something like this, if I had the means and the will to do it.

Kids are pretty awful to each other, and they don't have the same degree of self-control that adults are supposed to have. They also don't have the same degree of understanding about their actions, and they're a lot more impulsive/emotionally volatile... they don't care or think about the long-term implications, they just think 'I want this' or 'these people deserve to die'. If you make sure that guns are easily available to either the shooters or their friends/family, it's pretty easy to see why this kind of thing happens (in the US, anyways).

They're not always loners... and I really don't think they do it because they want to be famous/are cowards. I think it would probably be pretty hard/scary for a normal person to pick up a gun and shoot a bunch of people. Though I guess some people feel like they don't have anything to lose.

I think that they do it because they're mixed up or angry and either nobody cares or nobody knows what to do about it.

TLB

School shooters are just humans like you or I.

I think at some point everybody has been in a situation where they have wanted/wished someone harm. I think it is common to get so angry that you've wanted to kill someone before.

BUT

The difference between us and them is the fact that we can control it. We just pass it off as another moment of anger, and then get on with our lives. I think these school shootings may have been prevented if they had turned to someone for help, because they are not in control of their anger.

That is my take on it.

Slytherin88

I can totally understand school shooters. I was bullied for 12 years of school, did I think about coming to school one day and killing them all? Sure! But I probably had what those kids don't, a supportive family and no underlying severe mental issues.

Kiwong

No I can't relate at all. I can relate to the mental illness people might suffer from. I have never wished harm on anyone.

GhastlyCC

I've noticed that pretty much any time somebody ends up in the news for shooting up either a school or a theater or something,the same personality traits are ALWAYS mentioned.
It's obviously not impossible that these people might have behaved in these ways,but I think more than anything it's the media trying to paint these people in a certain way because they're the "bad guys"
People are more comfortable with the idea that these kinds of people fit some sort of stereotype because they're uncomfortable with the idea that it could be just about anybody.

Lilly789

I don't relate at all.
I was bullied at my last school (so were my friends), and it was made worse by the fact that I fought back. I learnt quickly to charm whoever I want, particularly strangers, but I just cant keep it up for long periods - they get to know me and my insecurities kick in.

I wouldn't blink an eye if my entire school burnt to the ground with everyone in it. Id be smirking.

But I wouldnt do it myself. They are not worth even that.

I think school shooters must believe their victims have a lot of worth to them to get that emotional about it, make such big plans and go back and kill them. The people from my school have no worth. I would not waste the energy on them.