Twiggle's Tales

Definitely, I'll be happy just to reach inner-peace right before I die if it came to that! But if I can get it earlier, that'd be even better. I've got some of the way there already... I had to do something to move on from being the shivering wreck I was for most of my life, doubting everything I did.

Today wasn't the best of days. A conversation with a friend made me realise how different I am to most other people my age, and not necessarily in a good way. Sometimes I just feel so alien to everybody else and I look back and remember I've always felt that way. But it's okay. We're all different, we all have our own little quirks. Some people probably see me the way I see everybody else.

And when I start to feel down about one thing, I feel down about everything else too...Bah. The paranoid thoughts creep back in.

Well I can relate to this.

I feel just like I've been missing from my life for a decade. Everyone I know has a degree and a masters and some a phd and a lot have kids and a are married with a mortgage and a dog and two cars and have a milkman and a postman and a nosey neighbour Mary. I'm not even nearly in that place.

And I look back and I wonder if I made bad choices because of my issues, did they hold me back? where would I be if I'd been ok? And I question myself. Should I have accepted my place into University ten years ago? Should I have stayed in that job? Should I have said yes when my ex asked me to marry him? Should I have got on the plane to Canada in '06? Should I have continued that relationship? Have I subjected myself to unhappiness by delaying my own life?......eeemmmmmm no. :) I'm not unhappy.

I've been dealing with my own stuff. Stuff is better, a lot better than it was. Huge scary big deal to finally send off my college app. The truth is I couldn't have done this when I was younger. I did not have the discipline and I did not have the confidence. I was frightened and I had no support and I didn't believe in myself. I didn't want it, I didn't know how to do it, I didn't know what I wanted. I was not ready. But I'm ready now and I'm happy and looking forward to this choice I've made.

As for the whole getting married, settling down and having kids, I definitely wasn't ready. If I ever do that, I want to be the best wife and mother I can be and really in order to be that, I have to get me right first. I think there's a lot of social pressure to be in a certain place by a certain age but I think I've checked a lot of boxes my friends haven't checked. I've done my mid-life crisis haha I know who I am and know what I want and I know how to get there and I'm going.

We'll all reach our destinations, we just took a different route.

You and I are very alike twiggle.

MikeyC

I hope you're doing okay Mikey, but feel free to PM me anytime. I don't like the thought of you feeling this way.
Thank you. :)

I'm starting an experiment lately... doing the opposite of what my anxiety tells me to... it seems to be working alright so far, we'll see how it continues!
That is one hell of an experiment and I hope it starts paying dividends. That takes some mental energy there.

twiggle

And I look back and I wonder if I made bad choices because of my issues, did they hold me back? where would I be if I'd been ok? And I question myself. Should I have accepted my place into University ten years ago? Should I have stayed in that job? Should I have said yes when my ex asked me to marry him? Should I have got on the plane to Canada in '06? Should I have continued that relationship? Have I subjected myself to unhappiness by delaying my own life?......eeemmmmmm no. :) I'm not unhappy.
It's easy to think about the things we didn't do, but there's no guarantee that any of those things would have made you any happier in life. If you'd married your ex... maybe right now you'd be dealing with a divorce. If you'd got on that plane... maybe it would have crashed. Negative I know, all I mean is that the path we didn't take isn't necessarily the better one. Grass is always greener and all that jazz. Besides which, you're only focusing on what you didn't do, maybe shift it to think about what you have done and what you're going to do! Anyway, you're happy now, and you've had the time to work out what it is you want to do, and that's worth way more than any of those things you could have experienced beforehand.

I've been dealing with my own stuff. Stuff is better, a lot better than it was. Huge scary big deal to finally send off my college app. The truth is I couldn't have done this when I was younger. I did not have the discipline and I did not have the confidence. I was frightened and I had no support and I didn't believe in myself. I didn't want it, I didn't know how to do it, I didn't know what I wanted. I was not ready. But I'm ready now and I'm happy and looking forward to this choice I've made.

As above, it's way better to have done it this way. You are ready, you can make the most of it, you are prepared for college and this will mean that you give it your all. It's like sometimes I think about the degree I chose to take... I loved my time at Uni but the career I've realised my heart lies in isn't really related to the degree I did. It's not way off, but it could be a lot more relevant. It's not my fault, I didn't know what I wanted back then either. I couldn't have known, it was only the stuff after Uni that made me realise, that bit of really living life after leaving education and being free, travelling, and discovering the things I'm really interested in. It's hard to know when you're 18 and not seen a life outside the binds of full-time education. I'm glad you have your heart set on this Jewel.

I think there's a lot of social pressure to be in a certain place by a certain age but I think I've checked a lot of boxes my friends haven't checked. I've done my mid-life crisis haha I know who I am and know what I want and I know how to get there and I'm going.

We'll all reach our destinations, we just took a different route.

I really love this. I couldn't agree more. I sometimes think that everybody in the world is like a yarn ball that consist of various different coloured threads, each thread representing separate parts of their personality (interests, social life, goals etc). I see this whole SA thing as being a phase in which I am really working myself out and untangling that ball of yarn so as to be able to understand myself better and realise who I am and what I'm doing.

I hope nobody reads this and gets offended, because I know it's not this way for everyone - but I've heard so many stories of people who have had their life run so smoothly and quickly (great career straight outside of graduating, marriage and kids soon after) only to reach their late '30s and question who they really are. Then blam, divorce, leaving their jobs and trying to get a different career. It doesn't mean they stay unhappy, because then they untangle their own yarn balls and make the relevant changes, it's just that it is not unusual for people to need a time in their life to work out who they are. In fact, I think it is vital. Good thing is that you and I and a lot of other people here are untangling now, in our '20s, and then it will be over and done with fingers crossed ;)

You and I are very alike twiggle.
Wow, what a compliment :)

That is one hell of an experiment and I hope it starts paying dividends. That takes some mental energy there.

Cheers Mikey. We'll see. I just need to shut this paranoid voice in my head up and prove that it doesn't know everything ::p:

lol I just read back what I wrote in this and I realise I went on about myself. What I meant was to give examples of what you've been describing, not make it the jewel thread. haha sorry.

twiggle said:
I hope nobody reads this and gets offended, because I know it's not this way for everyone - but I've heard so many stories of people who have had their life run so smoothly and quickly (great career straight outside of graduating, marriage and kids soon after) only to reach their late '30s and question who they really are. Then blam, divorce, leaving their jobs and trying to get a different career. It doesn't mean they stay unhappy, because then they untangle their own yarn balls and make the relevant changes, it's just that it is not unusual for people to need a time in their life to work out who they are. In fact, I think it is vital. Good thing is that you and I and a lot of other people here are untangling now, in our '20s, and then it will be over and done with fingers crossed

This. Yes. I understand this. I don't think anyone on here will be offended by this, everyone on here by nature looks inwards for answers so will have gone through, be going through or continuously goes through this process of learning who they are.

I absolutely agree with you on this twigs. All the stuff we haven't done is something to look forward to. The more there is left undone the more there is to look forward to. A lot of people lament what they haven't done instead of looking forward to doing it. Everybody is in such a rush but actually life should be savoured.

twiggle

Don't worry J, I really don't want this thread to be just about me, I just want it to be a place to discuss S.A from my point of view and see what others think judging from their own experiences and beliefs. Your input is valued!

Life should indeed be savoured. It is a fragile thing which can be lost at any minute and too bad for us humans we don't always appreciate that fact until we hear about an earthquake, or a murder, and even then once said event reaches the back-pages we return to being so bothered by things which seem so small in comparison. I'm probably generalising here but... it's true for most I think. And of course I mean most humans, even those without S.A.

This whole looking within ourselves thing... it's so important. But only works if when we're doing so, we're not comparing ourselves to others. I hate that I compare myself to others as much as I do. In reality life is not the race that it can sometimes appear to be. If only we could just focus purely on how our life makes us feel about ourselves rather than how other peoples' lives make us feel about ourselves. I don't think success and happiness are about whether or not you're married or if you're earning as much as person X, I think they're about whether or not you feel happy to see the sunlight coming through the window each morning or how much enjoyment you can get from the smallest of things; pouring yourself a cool glass of fruit juice, a text message from a friend or simply feeling the worn pages of a vintage copy of your favourite novel.

Or I could just be rambling and making no sense whatsoever :p

Last edited:

Lexington

Banned
we're not comparing ourselves to others. I hate that I compare myself to others as much as I do. In reality life is not the race that it can sometimes appear to be. If only we could just focus purely on how our life makes us feel about ourselves rather than how other peoples' lives make us feel about ourselves.

I have made this same mistake several times. And if I reflect, I've been happiest when I got "lost in the moment"...example...riding a bicycle, breeze in my face on a warm day.

Comparing myself to another. No better example for me was in high school. I was learning to play guitar about the same time as a good friend. But he was progresssing much faster. And he appeared to "have an ear" for it as well. Iwas struggling to just make the chords sound bearable:cool:, he was adding little intricate parts to a tune that no one showed him, he just worked them out himself.This discouraged me from progressing. In fact I gave up for a while and fell way behind. His rapid progress contributed to my decline.
But if I had just focussed on my own progress in stead of comparing, I would have done much better.This pattern repeated in others areas of my life too....getting a girlfriend, being sociable, getting as good job...etcetera

twiggle

I wish I could talk about the things I talk about on here to a real-life friend. There are a few who I know if I told them something was up they'd be more than happy to listen, but I'd feel like a burden talking about it. I don't even feel I can talk about everything fully on here for one reason or another.

The past few times I've met up with people I've really wanted to say something about it but never quite know how to bring it into the conversation.

The help and support on here is amazing, but sometimes I think it would be nice to have it from somebody who knows me better, somebody who sees what I'm really like and can say whether or not any traces of how I feel come across ever.

I really hate when I get into this mindset. Sad and tearful. Maybe it's PMT related, as I alluded to in a different thread earlier. So many things have made me cry this week, in the news and in real life. I think about my parents and how much I love them and also how one day they won't be here anymore. I cannot bear to tell them about my anxiety because they'll worry and I just want them to be happy.

There's more I could write but doing so would probably make me feel worse so I'm just going to leave at it this and go and put some music on.

twiggle

Thanks Jewel - that song is indeed very uplifting :)

Hopefully it's just a phase that will remind me, once again, to truly appreciate the times when I feel good. I know life is never going to be wholly good, nor wholly bad, so I'm always going to have these moments when I feel this way.

I just need to keep as busy as poss. If I still feel this way by next weekend (and I really hope I don't) then I might have to tell all to one of my best-friends who is coming to visit. Hopefully it won't come to that though.

Well they say you know somebody by the company they keep and your friends keep you as company so they must be caring, kind, compassionate and loving people. I hope you can talk to them about it at some point because it might explain some things for them and it would be so good for you not to feel so alone. It would do you the world of good.

MikeyC

The past few times I've met up with people I've really wanted to say something about it but never quite know how to bring it into the conversation.
You and I have the same issue, then. I don't even reveal everything here for fear of being a burden sometimes, and I certainly don't reveal everything to friends. It's a difficult thing to bring up because you've got to pick the right time and they have to be someone who will listen and offer encouragement. It's not easy and those times are hard to come by.

Sorry to hear you're so sad, twiggle. You're more than welcome to PM me and chat if you like, and I realise I'm just some random dude, but if it helps you, I'm all for it. :)

twiggle

Thanks guys... this place is so supportive :)

I'm feeling marginally better now... just trying to think about other things and making rough plans for what I'd like to do in the future. Researching options. We can only ever look forward, right?

May have to take you up on that kind PM offer, Mikey :) Will see how I'm feeling tomorrow. My inbox is always there for you too, and that applies to anyone reading this. It can be hard to unleash everything here in the forum, but its so good to get it out.

MikeyC

Thanks guys... this place is so supportive :)

I'm feeling marginally better now... just trying to think about other things and making rough plans for what I'd like to do in the future. Researching options. We can only ever look forward, right?
Keeping your mind active is a good way to forget why you're so sad to begin with, so you're doing really well there. :)

May have to take you up on that kind PM offer, Mikey :) Will see how I'm feeling tomorrow. My inbox is always there for you too
Take advantage whenever you feel it, my friend. And thank you. :)

twiggle

My friend came and stayed with me this weekend. She is the friend I was saying last week how I'd like to tell her about my anxiety if need be. I just couldn't find a way to bring it up and all the whilst I was in her company I was feeling alright so didn't feel like I needed to.

Now she's gone and I'm back to sitting at the computer, trying to do this important work that I can't really focus on, and back come all of the thoughts again, back come the tears.

I don't understand myself. I am so up and down all the time and so I never really know how I'm truly feeling. Over the past few weeks it's been setback after setback and it's just getting stupid now. I am sad about many things but don't feel I can really talk about them. I don't even want to talk about them because it brings the thoughts back. I just wish that somebody could just know exactly how I'm feeling without me having to explain and that they could give me a hug and then tell me what they think I should do. Nobody irl knows how I feel because I don't tell them. I try and not let it affect anybody else and if ever they do try and coax it out of me, I give them the half-version and then change the subject.

I think I'm a positive person. Even when I'm like this I see it as an opportunity to change things, and not feel scared of doing so because what's another setback to this mound of them anyway. I have a plan, there's something I'd really like to do, and I'm going to try and do that now. No more worrying about what people think about it, because I'm losing out with that attitude.

But still. I hate feeling this way, so apathetic towards everything and emotional. I feel like I have nothing to say anymore.

DeadmanWalking

Is there any way for you to contact your friend, like through e-mail or something? Sometimes, the best way to bring something up is to interrupt all other thoughts and put it to the stage.

Twiggle, please don't let those setbacks get you down. Analyze them, see where you messed up, and learn from them so that you don't screw up again and learn new tactics on how to handle future setbacks:). About your thoughts, well, you've got to tell someone so that they can help you. People can't help you through a problem that they can't see and aren't aware of. Even people like you and I who have SA can't completely understand the story of one another. So, it's up to us to show others our stories and show them where we need help at. And you've got to face those thoughts or else they'll never go away. You can't wish these things away. The next chance you get to tell someone about how you feel, I want you to steamroll through that idea to avoid and change the subject so you can spill your guts and get this stuff off of your chest, okay? I'm sorry that you feel this way::(:.

twiggle

I think you're right, Deadman. Thank you for your post. I know I need to let this stuff out but I just never feel it's the right time to. Then I'll have a good day and forget about it all for a while, but it doesn't solve anything, it comes back. I feel like my head is completely rational and positive and knows exactly what to do and say all the time, and even feeds me words of comfort when I'm down, but that my heart and mind send it all off-kilter. I could e-mail my friend but I'm not sure I'd like to, I don't think she even knows I have any anxiety problems at all, I don't want to worry her or make her treat me differently. I think I'll talk to my other friend who lives near by. It's easier face-to-face but she and I are very similar in terms of our emotions and beliefs.

I started this journal at a really bad time. If I'd started writing a few months ago it would have been full of positivity. Thank you to anyone who reads this pessimistic stuff lol.

MrJones

What Deadman said.

I always had a hard time expressing myself, the way I felt. Now I've been trying to change that, and this is probably why I think I'm getting much better of my anxiety.

Good luck talking to your other friend, I hope it all goes well :)

I feel like my head is completely rational and positive and knows exactly what to do and say all the time, and even feeds me words of comfort when I'm down, but that my heart and mind send it all off-kilter.
I have do this too, and it's awful >.<

twiggle

I had deleted this thread because I felt like it was descending into one in which I just moan and write negative things, but I'm feeling back to normal now so I'm going to resurrect it and just continue with sharing my feelings and thoughts; particularly those which I feel I've learned from having this thing called 'social anxiety'.

I hate it when my anxiety hits me hard like it did recently. I was alright... nowhere near as bad as I was last Summer which shows I must be getting stronger... but whilst I was maybe crying a lot less, I still wasn't feeling like my usual self. A couple of things have made me feel back to normal now though and for those I am grateful.

But I'm wondering if, in a very strange way, having anxiety does me a favour from time to time? You see... I hate how much it makes me worry about things. I am sensitive and emotional... but I am also very in touch with my feelings, even if I don't always understand them. Sometimes when the anxiety hits me hard I find myself striving harder to look at all of the individual pieces that make up 'me' and try and work out the jigsaw; to work out what it is I want, and to try and gain that inner peace that makes me less 'scared' of things.

What other people think has always been the thing that holds me back. It's not in a superficial way. I'm not shy about the fact I listen to 'weird' music or watch 'weird' films or wear 'weird' clothes and whatever else people have mocked me for in the past. I don't care what people think about my tastes, but I do care about what they think about what I do - and by people, I mean more specifically - those in my networks (friends, colleagues, even acquaintances etc etc). I alluded before to the fact I had a couple of bad friends in the past, who made me realise that even if you're a nice person, there are still people who'll find a reason to dislike you, some even see niceness as a vulnerability, and they'll manipulate it. (Btw, I'm not saying I'm a wholly nice person, I'm not, I make mistakes too sometimes if my negative emotions take over me, but with these particular friends I don't recall ever doing anything out of turn and one even said to me, "I was a ***** to you because I knew you'd put up with it").

^But those examples were very long ago and really I should get over it, largely I have done, but I feel as though they were the things that set all of this off, and once it started... the more ingrained those feelings became.

I feel as though this kind of sensitivity is something that is not only a part of me, but part of the majority of people on here. And to get to the point, I just want to say that I don't even think it's that bad a thing. I'm not necessarily saying it's a great thing either, just that I would far rather take being like this than being ignorant and taking my problems out on other people just like those ex-friends of mine did.

But having said that, if there's one thing life has taught me is that you can't let other peoples' opinions hold you back. No matter what you do in life, somebody will disapprove of it. I missed out on a couple of great opportunities because I thought too much about what others may think and now I realise how messed up that was. There are just some nasty people in the world. Somebody stopped talking to me once because I booked a holiday, and she didn't think that was fair, because she wasn't going on one.

And going back to my point, it's when my anxiety hits me the most that I care less and less about what other people think. I become apathetic towards it and find myself realising what it is I want, and becoming more determined. And now, even though I'm feeling a lot better, I still have those goals in mind. So let's do this thing.

One of the biggest things my anxiety has taught me is also something that would probably be taken as common sense by most people, but it's something I've struggled to put into practice. It's that famous saying, "Do what you want and say what you feel because the ones those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter". I think it's so true (Within reason of course. Some people take it too far, which essentially leads to selfishness)

I've rambled now and I'll probably look at this later on and cringe but... it needed to get off my chest. I wish everybody here including myself could just be happier with ourselves and not feel bad for having this 'anxiety' or whatever you want to call it.

Think, do and go go go!

Last edited: