Trustworthy People

hexagon_sun

I don't even know what posts you're referring to here. I can't recall seeing any particular posts that have come across as snarky or clicky. I don't know what's so wrong with sarcasm. It isn't a high school mentality thing. It's a form of humour and often is not intended to be offensive. I think a lot of us here could use a good laugh sometimes. And if I happen to see a comment directed at a certain member, and I don't get what they're talking about, I don't care. I don't feel out of the loop. As far as I can tell, people aren't making off-topic, chatty posts in random threads. Many of us come here to socialize because we don't have much else. This place is going to be no fun if we have to start walking on eggshells and worrying about the hundreds of ways a harmless comment could be misinterpreted.

In regards to the original question, people aren't worth trusting. My ex-boyfriend had no respect for my privacy. He blabbed very private things about me to his friends and thought nothing of it. He cheated on me too. That's enough to learn never to trust people. I've always been gullible. I fall for stupid crap easily. Too many people just like to take advantage of others. Most just don't deserve to be trusted.

Out of respect for that person I won't mention the post. 99% of the people on here are really cool and respectful to each other, but's always that 1% that ruin it for everyone else. There are so many interesting things to discuss and there are those who always have to bring it down to the "primal" level. Maybe it's because it's comfortable to them. I don't know.

hexagon_sun

It's also possible that while you think you're being observant, you're actually reading too much into something or taking it the wrong way.

You might be right but at least I have people looking... If there are those with malice in their heart that abound, I just gave them a little less wiggle room... Just want to keep it real.

Out of respect for that person I won't mention the post. 99% of the people on here are really cool and respectful to each other, but's always that 1% that ruin it for everyone else. There are so many interesting things to discuss and there are those who always have to bring it down to the "primal" level. Maybe it's because it's comfortable to them. I don't know.

So is it just one post/poster? If you see something offensive that possibly breaks the rules by being disrespectful or whatever, please report it rather than referring to it in this oblique way, in my view you're possibly stooping to that person's level, derailing your own thread in the process.

hexagon_sun

So is it just one post/poster? If you see something offensive that possibly breaks the rules by being disrespectful or whatever, please report it rather than referring to it in this oblique way, in my view you're possibly stooping to that person's level, derailing your own thread in the process.

Lets just say I don't have a lot of faith in top down enforcement. I believe in more of a neighborhood watch approach.

awkwardamanda

Well, it could be that you're simply disagreeing and not seeing eye-to-eye with this person. But if they are legitimately breaking a rule, you can bring it to the attention of the mods via PM or the report post button. Now since this issue has brought your own thread off-topic, that's the last I'm going to say about it.

hexagon_sun

Well, it could be that you're simply disagreeing and not seeing eye-to-eye with this person. But if they are legitimately breaking a rule, you can bring it to the attention of the mods via PM or the report post button. Now since this issue has brought your own thread off-topic, that's the last I'm going to say about it.

I agree, I would like to get this back on topic.

awkwardamanda

Lets just say I don't have a lot of faith in top down enforcement. I believe in more of a neighborhood watch approach.

Ok, never mind what I just said. I do have one more comment to make after reading this. That's exactly how forum moderation works. The moderators do not own or run the site. They don't get paid. They are site members like the rest of us who volunteer their time to keep this place running smoothly.

Ok, never mind what I just said. I do have one more comment to make after reading this. That's exactly how forum moderation works. The moderators do not own or run the site. They don't get paid. They are site members like the rest of us who volunteer their time to keep this place running smoothly.

Precisely. We are forum members with SA just like everyone else. None of us are paid, and we frequently recruit new moderators from current active members as needed, it can be a rough, thankless job.

hexagon_sun

That is good to know. I don't mean to be so cynical but it's the world we live in. Too often people who express dissension against the established majority get silenced with brutal efficiency. I just want a level playing field. Back on topic?

Last edited:
On topic, I think I trust too easily, too ready to take people at face value. That being said, I think I don't get close to a lot of people because I realize I lack the ability to tell when someone can't or shouldn't be trusted.

hexagon_sun

I grew-up in a volatile home as a kid. There were a lot of fights and keeping secrets from dad because he would fly off the handle too easily. My father wasn't a bad guy he just had a lot of medical issues and work stress that made him emotionally unstable. My mom tended to sweep problems under the rug instead of dealing with them head-on. She was heavily into denial about everything. I think my lack of trust in people started then because I felt I couldn't trust anyones word. That it meant nothing. There were a lot of other schetchy things going in the extended family that put me on guard early on. All my family members suffer from PTSD like symptoms. I've been asked by countless people if I was in the military lol.

Last edited:

hexagon_sun

I grew-up in a volatile home as a kid. There were a lot of fights and keeping secrets from dad because he would fly off the handle too easily. My father wasn't a bad guy he just had a lot of medical issues and work stress that made him emotionally unstable. My mom tended to sweep problems under the rug instead of dealing with them head-on. She was heavily into denial about everything. I think my lack of trust in people started then because I felt I couldn't trust anyones word. That it meant nothing. There were a lot of other schetchy things going in the extended family that put me on guard early on. All my family members suffer from PTSD like symptoms. I've been asked by countless people if I was in the military lol.

I think because there was no guarantee of honesty between family members growing-up, I tend to value it more as an adult. I think that's why I have little tolernace for people who are "playfully deceitful." To me it always comes across as being sketchy, manipulative, dishonest. I gravitate towards people who are grounded and stoic. WYSIWYG

Last edited:
I trust people who show care to me. That they let me know they think about me or they talk to me time to time. I trust people who can keep secrets, trust people who will not make me feel left out in a group, and people who accept me no matter how bad my problems are and another thing is: That they Listen to what I am telling and What is on my mind.

Of course it's always in return :)

selon

I don't trust anyone really, whenever I did they said something careless and stupid about things that mattered to me. Lesson learned!

lonelee1

I'm just curious what everyone's thoughts are on trust. What kind of people do you find easier to trust vs. people you might get along with better? Do you shy away from people who are blunt and to the point? Do you prefer to interact with people who don't offer any kind of ctriticism fearing that your feelings will be hurt? Has anyone felt that sinking feeling when you suspect people are talking about you behind your back? Tell me what tipped you off that this was going on?

ah i trust everybody, tell them my life story, then realize i shouldn't do that at all. i think if i had better social skills and less SA, i'd be more wary of this. i don't like people that gossip excessively. maybe not gossip, but i hate it when people rip on other people in front me. like friends to friends. makes me sad.

hexagon_sun

I don't like to engage in gossip as a matter of principle. It doesn't feel right to me. Unfortunately, we (now) live in a (global) culture that encourages people to not approach others directly when there are issues. When something bothers us, as humans, we need to vent and express our view-point. And if you’re told not to confront people directly, you vent by gossiping to a 3rd party (another friend, coworker or family member).

Of course, the problem with that is, if the subject of the gossip finds out that you are expressing criticizing of them to someone else (which is inevitable), and thereby tarnishing their reputation with others; naturally, they feel betrayed. Also, they are less likely to learn anything from the experience as it will be overshadowed by the scorn of betrayal. That's why, I feel it is better to confront someone directly, especially if you care about them; and risk short term resentment; averting long term resentment and loss of trust.

I do mean to say, we are being conditioned (through culture) to avoid a meaningful exchange of ideas in favor of superficial subjects. And, it should be no surprise that there are so many depressed and anxious people in the world. We are being denied the very thing that makes us human! We are being denied those "ah-ha!", "eureka" moments and the ability to share them with like-minded people.

When you’re stuck in the frame, it is hard to see the big picture.... Humans are so neurologically adaptable that we can learn and be conditioned to do things that may in fact undermine our efforts for survival. If you’re not allowed to see the big picture, you have no reference for comparison.

We are constantly bombarded by trashy, tabloid, basal, primal subject matter. How often do you see reality TV shows that deal with mental illness directly? Reality TV shows on drug Intervention are a poor example. Drug use ultimately is the consequence of an untreated and underlying mental illness. That mental illness is rarely addressed in these shows.

We are only exposed to the end-product (not the source) of untreated illness, ignorance, the misguided and the ill informed; social dissonance, dysfunction, chaos. We are rarely showed examples of harmonious collaborative human endeavors.

We need to collectively wake-up as a society, and make ourselves aware of these subversive, shadowy machinations.

The truth has a distinctive ring. Learn to hear it...

hexagon_sun

I'm not a religious person... But I do consider myself to be spiritual. I do however agree with certain principles that some religions express. One of which is forgiveness... It is true that it is RARE to find someone who hasn't "sinned" in some way. I have "sinned" many times in my life. I can't claim to be perfect. But I have come to understand my own motives at the time that lead me to do so. And I reiterate; it is exceedingly rare to find an individual who is born into this world with the knowledge of the "consequence" of their actions.
For most humans, it is something we need to learn through experience. And as such, we should learn to forgive those who have "sinned" against us because, in reality, they are no different than you or me. And in demonizing those who have "sinned" you set up a precedent; holding you and your peers to the same scrutiny. However, just because everyone does it doesn’t mean you are justified in doing it!
In forgiveness, we give those who have erred and opportunity to learn their lesson and join the enlightened. If you demonize someone for sinning, that is a huge obstacle toward their reformation. Negative reinforcement simply doesn’t work. It only serves to repel those who are trying to “get-it-right.” It is unfair to judge the ignorant until they have had an opportunity to learn their lessons… So… to those who have sinned against the human race; I forgive you! Please join us in enlightening the rest of “mankind.”

rosewood

i have learned to wait and listen carefully to each person to assess where they are at, before deciding to open my heart and life up to them. i try to be generally polite to all. but when i can see a person telling me as another person is leaving the room, hey- whisper whisper- it makes me a bit sick, so i stick it in my pocket and keep watching to see if this is a real pattern. if it is, i dont trust them and i walk away if possible.

Barrier

People who are reliable. It's not considered sexy to be reliable, but it is something I truly appreciate. I can't stand flakey people.