To the overly confident advisers here

zharl

Because this discussion is so lengthy and I am so far behind in following it in its scope I doubt my capability to formulate an adequate response--I've only gotten half-way through the first page! That being said, I feel the need to say something. CBT worked well for me, Medication worked well for me. That stuff may not work for everyone, but discussion of those specific aspects of treatment seems to be missing the point. This thread is about the culture of advice-giving, which is rather pertinent in this environment, considering the fact that many of the members of this community are actively seeking advice and actively getting it.

I've been guilty of using the empty platitudes that the original poster points out; that being said, I think there is some validity to my own personal experience with SA. Essentially--like everything else in life--this seems to be about finding a balance. Listening to the perspectives that other people have, while simultaneously realizing that a person's own reality is inherently limited to their own experience--in other words we cannot perfectly fit in another person's shoes.

I like this post. Yes, it's aggressive, but not in the way that people seem to be reading it. It aggressively challenges some of the advice given on the forum and does so cordially and with support. Regardless of whether you agree with the poster about which advice is good and which advice is bad or who to listen to and who not to listen to, this thread presents a poignant message: question what you hear and think critically about the things that people say, with the focus being that not all advice is created equal.

I think that the message to question and think worked, judging by how much response this thread has generated. Kudos to the OP.

zharl

Well, in re-reading some of the posts and responses, it hasn't been entirely cordial. The OP has been somewhat sarcastic at times and confrontational. Nevertheless, this is not necessarily a bad thing. Not all discourse is pretty.

I think I may be enjoying the debate going on in this thread a little too much. :D

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
The CBT when correctly done to treat social phobia by a capable professional really seems like a very good idea.

I know how tiring the search for something this specific can be, but it is worth the effort. Just watch out for medics offering a general and shallow CBT instead of the treatment you really need. Sometimes they don't know it better themselves and are promising what they can't deliver.

The guidelines in this site really helped me: Comprehensive Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy | Social Anxiety Association

About medication, maybe you need, only a psychiatrist could say that. It seems antidepressants are not that effective against social phobia, sedatives like Clonazepam could be more adequate to deal with the peaks of anxiety when they come.

It's hard to escape the cycle of feeling depressed because you can't leave home and not having the energy to fight the social phobia because you are depressed, some medicine can help here. The good news is that getting better of the social fobia works wonders on the depression, so it's very likely you wouldn't have to take medication because of that for long.

It's great that CBT works for you, really. But don't come here and tell me I uselessly tortured myself for years fighting SA and depression by myself when your way would have worked better, with all due respect, you don't know what you're talking about.

Louco

I’m going to play devil's advocate on this one and say that this thread has the potential to be slightly toxic. Now don’t get me wrong, I appreciate where the OP is coming from, but I also think members might be put off from offering advice, from the fear that they might be sounding like they are coming across as condescending and patronising. So this thread has the potential to stop members from helping other members on here in the future. Personally, I would rather hear everyone’s viewpoint, regardless of how gung ho it may sound, and that way you can get a more meaningful dialogue going on in this forum. But this thread seems like it does have the potential to condition you to think a certain way, and by that, I mean to give advice that isn’t going to be overly optimistic, but just enough for people to feel like their advice will be palatable for the reader on here.

As for the advice that might be deemed unacceptable to some members on here, where a member is coming across as being patronising and condensing, then I think that type of advice can be debated by the other members on here. I would much rather that happen, where I can explain to a member who is coming across as patronising and condensing, why their advice might not seem like the best advice to offer, than give out a vibe in this thread that says it’s best to keep your thought processes in check. And also, I don’t think it’s helpful to sterilise and sanitise a forum too much, as that’s not how the world really is. Oh darn, you see what I did there, I came across as slightly patronising and condensing. But at least I was able to recognise I was coming across as patronising and condensing for that brief second. But no, I just think it is better to hear a broad range of viewpoints, and for members not to feel like their viewpoints will be misconstrued as patronising and condensing on here. So I think as long as your advice is with good intentions, and you feel like your advice will help someone, then I don’t think you should let that stop you from expressing yourself fully on here. And if some members disagree with your viewpoint, well then that will also be helpful, as you can then chisel away at that advice, until hopefully you make that advice better for everyone that is concerned.

You are telling me my thread is slightly toxic because you would rather have the people I'm criticizing here going full toxic without restraint on the social phobics when supposedly trying to help (what this thread was made to call attention to) than the other members feeling afraid to post their opinions (a possible but undesired outcome that I have been making clear again and again it's not my intention).

Actually, I can perfectly understand the desire of having everyone speaking their minds freely.

I can't understand that well why I and the others who agree with me on this shouldn't though. You are trying to have over us on purpose the censoring influence you are accusing my thread of having by accident.

Also, you don't seem concerned about the people coming here for help who refrain from sharing their troubles because of the ones who don't need help and are a little too frisky when sharing their minds.

It's ok people censoring themselves because their problems might get resolved in a couple frases by some j£rk, but not the j£rks being called to think about their actions so they can become truly helpful people? Don't you think those suffering with the disorder deserve more respect, since this forum was made for them?

But this thread seems like it does have the potential to condition you to think a certain way, and by that, I mean to give advice that isn’t going to be overly optimistic, but just enough for people to feel like their advice will be palatable for the reader on here.

The problem is not being "optimistic". You talk as if these people behave like a clown only trying to cheer you up, instead of their usual drill sergeant antics.

When giving advice, it is actually a good idea to, at the very least, try not to make things worse. You don't care how the people you are trying to help leave after you are done?

So I think as long as your advice is with good intentions, and you feel like your advice will help someone, then I don’t think you should let that stop you from expressing yourself fully on here.

Actually, your intentions don't really matter. If you are truly helping someone, what difference does it make if it's an Illuminati plot or something? You are not less responsible just because you meant well, especially when you could be hurting someone.

Also, your advice could help someone and also be really stupid and damaging to a lot of other people, just like the OP of that other thread. If you really are into helping people, you will never do something like this.

Kiwong

I think the problem with that original post was the way it was communicated. I think the best way to deliver advice or critique is in the wording, and to be honest it isn't what you could call diplomatic, it was as blunt as a hammer, and littered with unhelpful wording.

However, there are one or two elements of truth in that post. Included in my plan is to drink less caffiene as it exacerbates my anxiety. I can't stick to that part of my plan. I know that mindfullnesd and meditation helps for me, but I don't pratice it enough.

Exposure therapy is one of the most helpful things I have tried. I will say there is exposure therapy and there is exposure therapy, and the quality depends on the ability of the therapist. This exposure therapy is graded by severity, prolonged, repeated. It is helpful.

A lot of the post was not relevant to me and it didn't ring true . So I ignored it and moved on. No point in getting angry about a post that I disagree with can't relate to.

Last edited:

Louco

And I know that in the past there have been helpful people like that on the forum too, genuinely trying to help others and certainly not going on power trips, as far as I could tell. And they would get attacked for it. Be told they are condescending, that they are full of shit and don't know what they are talking about for trying to help others. There's a huge difference between that and forcing one's ideas down the throats of others. There have been those users on here too. I hope I'm not one of them. I just wanted the people who do try to help to not be discouraged. It sounds like by a lot of what you're saying you'd like to offer helpful advice too. I think that's great. I worried your post was doing it at the expense of others though.

I understand what you are saying. When I see someone lashing out against kind advice I also feel like "What the hell, that person was kind to you and this is how you thank her?"

When it comes to people with social phobia though, we should be more patient and forgiving, because it's a very symptom of the disease to get very stressed with social interactions, which makes some irrational, deeply emotional responses possible.

(To be honest, I am not like that at all, social phobia makes me just want to avoid further interaction and that's it. I would never have the energy to argue with someone at the lower levels of how much it can bring me down. But I understand why people could react this way.)

Anyway, I took my time to explain what kind of attitude I'm talking about and why I made this thread.

No one, not a single member of this forum made any argument trying to prove me wrong. I keep being told I am the one being patronizing and offensive and how the OP is wonderful in their eyes, my arguments ignored. Everyone is obsessed with the flavor and ignoring the content.

You're basically saying that because I found the ideas in that thread helpful, my problems aren't real.

That's not true. The people who get harmed by that kind of message, and for who I'm making this grueling effort to represent, also believe in what he is saying.

Seriously, you are ignoring everything I'm saying and clinging to what you think makes you the target of this thread, and you are wrong. I think you should stop smacking yourself with my hand, this feels awkward.

That I'm just lazy. That I'm just shy. Unmotivated. You're belittling me, and every other person who was helped by the ideas in that thread.

People with Social Anxiety disorder will not be cured by that cake recipe PERIOD, and I have explained why.

And then you give a criteria for what it means to have SA.

Yes, because like Bipolar Disorder, it's very trendy, to the horror of those really afflicted by it.

By doing that, whether you mean to or not, are saying everyone who doesn't meet those criteria is lying, or doesn't understand. That, for example, if you don't have any physical symptoms, you don't have a mental health problem, or if you do it isn't SA. Try to imagine how that feels. Being told that some people have real problems, and what you go through is just a lack of effort or motivation. Oh wait! Isn't that what you were criticizing some people on here of doing?

The thing is, with enough information you can tell if anyone have social phobia or not.

The experience of everyone who agree with me here, and also the state of the art research on the subject, make a strong case for people behaving like that OP to not relly having this specific disorder.

Do you understand I'm not talking to a nice person? I don't care how people like him feel, they sound confident enough to get around this thread without any lasting trauma. I'm not trying to help them. I'm trying to make they think how harmful they are being for those with social phobia, and that's it.

Yeah, I'm agressive, how do you get into the head of the patronizing otherwise? I'm hoping they will think something like "You know what, this guy is a j£rk but maybe he has a point."

I agree he[shield, the OP] does come off very confident, maybe a little too much, but he doesn't put Lea down in the way you describe. He said she was wrong about him not suffering, and then (very confidently) stated how he found a solution, and how someone suffering similarly to it could too.

She asked if he really have the disorder, something he never made clear in the text in the first place and would be a very relevant question by itself.

He proceeds to claim she is just shy and lacking in one of his 6 steps.

Seriously, don't spin this around.

Just because it's not in a psychology office, doesn't mean it can't be effective. A lot of what he said could very easily complement CBT for that matter.

And I do hope you realize the hypocrisy of criticizing people for claiming to know how to solve the problem, and then filling the thread with claims that CBT is the best answer. And that anyone who isn't improved through that method obviously doesn't have the disease. Unless I'm missing something?

Yes, you are missing that random bits of CBT instead of the adequate treatment do more harm than good. That's why there are so many people claiming CBT doesn't work, they have never actually tried what works and sadly wasted their time with bad psychologists.

I'm not the one telling what works, it's decades of research among psychiatrists and all their patients living normally.

Don't get me wrong, I think CBT is a great tool. Especially it's ideas. Changing the way we think, and the way we behave, so that in turn the way we feel changes. I'd argue that that is actually something shield was doing. You don't need to go to a psychologist to apply those ideas. It can definitely help, definitely definitely. People can go through the same process in many different ways though. I don't think there's just one right answer.

The principles we find in the CBT can help with a lot of things, yes it can do wonders for anyone who would like to have more confidence and a clear mind, even for those who are healthy, but as a treatment to social phobia it must be done correctly, with the group therapy and everything else made specially for it.

Louco

Yeah we could take a break on the seriousness.

But I will say this, you’re a feisty one, aren’t ya.

That's what she said.

Something tells me you’re the type of member that gets a thrill from stirring the controversial pot.

My cooking skills are horrible, I get no pleasure out of stirring the pot and probably I don't even do it properly, if that's possible.

This thread actually makes me feel like peeling off my skin with my nails, too bad I keep my nails so short, and also pushing my fingers into my eyes and pulling them out.

Now I could of course give careful consideration to the points you have just made, but there's only so many hours in the day where I can be slightly serious with someone.

THANK YOU

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
FORUM RULES said:
1.Respect No member shall show disrespect to others - no harassment, bullying, attacking, threatening or sniping of any members.

3. Violations The following types of posts are not permitted:
-"Your SA is not as bad as mine", "you don't have SA" posts
-armchair psychiatry (online drugs, unqualified diagnosis and treatment) webmaster rule
-personal attacks

Louco

There's a post from a super moderator in the first page. He seems ok.

I also happened to tell the mods I was going to post this in the forum before doing it, and the original message was even more blunt. I toned it down considerably.

But yeah, try to get me banned. I deserve this, for taking my time trying to have a serious conversation with you. I hope the other members learn from my mistake.

zharl

Yup

Play nice folks :thumbup:

Remember, a difference of opinion is not a personal attack.

I think we need to keep this in prospective. Tensions are getting quite high in this thread. I like a good discussion like this that promotes critical thought as much as the next guy, but things are getting rather...heated. I'm not saying that's a BAD thing! Merely an observation!

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
There's a post from a super moderator in the first page. He seems ok.

I also happened to tell the mods I was going to post this in the forum before doing it, and the original message was even more blunt. I toned it down considerably.

But yeah, try to get me banned. I deserve this, for taking my time trying to have a serious conversation with you. I hope the other members learn from my mistake.

I'm sorry. I wasn't trying to get anyone banned, I've been here long enough to know the mods only ban when they have good reason to, not because of someone posting the rules. I probably needed to be reminded of them more than anyone though, I don't think I try, or tried, hard enough to be respectful, especially in disagreement. I don't think I carry myself with the grace and dignity that I once did, and it's clearly reflected in my posts as well as my every day life.

So I apologize again, and I'll let you carry on with your thread, I won't bother it anymore. Sorry.

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
Louco, you have your opinion which is clearly a loud and aggressive one.You are entitled to that, sure. You try to defend your aggression by doing what? Calling other forum members here names, using a condescending attitude toward others when they do not agree with you and trying to outwit people with overly thoughtful and flowery language.

Don't expect to become a hero to the weak or suffering here, we ALL suffer some form of ailment. If you use aggression as a tactic, eventually people will become tired of the boorish banter and return it. So far I haven't seen anyone really respond to you this way, but if and when it does don't be surprised (or offended).

If you dish it out you have to take it.. with some respect and grace. ;)

Louco

Louco, you have your opinion which is clearly a loud and aggressive one.You are entitled to that, sure. You try to defend your aggression by doing what? Calling other forum members here names, using a condescending attitude toward others when they do not agree with you and trying to outwit people with overly thoughtful and flowery language.

Don't expect to become a hero to the weak or suffering here, we ALL suffer some form of ailment. If you use aggression as a tactic, eventually people will become tired of the boorish banter and return it. So far I haven't seen anyone really respond to you this way, but if and when it does don't be surprised (or offended).

If you dish it out you have to take it.. with some respect and grace. ;)

Don't know where this came from really. People simply read whatever they want from my posts. The letters rearrange themselves into shocking personal accusations, unspeakable profanities, attempts to play the victim. Flowery language. I don't even care anymore.

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
The letters rearrange themselves into shocking personal accusations, unspeakable profanities, attempts to play the victim.

I guess that's just like when people ask for thoughts, advice and opinions on something here and others give them.
Whether you read them as people 'having all the answers' or 'having it all worked out' or being 'overly confident advisers' is just how you personally see those letters rearranging themselves...