This really, REALLY pisses me off.

coyote

from the Bernie Sanders link that NathanielWingatePeaslee posted:

For example, the CEO of JP Morgan Chase served on the New York Fed's board of directors at the same time that his bank received more than $390 billion in financial assistance from the Fed. Moreover, JP Morgan Chase served as one of the clearing banks for the Fed's emergency lending programs.

In another disturbing finding, the GAO said that on Sept. 19, 2008, William Dudley, who is now the New York Fed president, was granted a waiver to let him keep investments in AIG and General Electric at the same time AIG and GE were given bailout funds. One reason the Fed did not make Dudley sell his holdings, according to the audit, was that it might have created the appearance of a conflict of interest.

people like us would have been in thrown in jail for much less

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
people like us would have been in thrown in jail for much less

Steal $100, go to jail for 15 yrs. Steal $3 billion, go to jail for 40 monthsSteal $100, go to jail for 15 yrs. Steal $3 billion, go to jail for 40 months.

"A homeless man robbed a Louisiana bank and took a $100 bill. After feeling remorseful, he surrendered to police the next day. The judge sentenced him to 15 years in prison.

The day after this story appeared, prosecutors celebrated the fact that they were able to get a 40-month prison sentence for investment tycoon Paul R. Allen, who defrauded lenders of more than $3 billion...

Roy Brown is black and homeless, while Paul R. Allen is white and extremely wealthy."

That about sums it up right there, I think.

MikeyC

New Zealand's general election is this Saturday.

I'll vote. It's my duty as a citizen to vote. But I won't expect it to make any difference.

My father says of democracy that at least it ensures an orderly succession.
Is it compulsory to vote in New Zealand?

Aletheia

Enrolment is mandatory, voting isn't.

(I hadn't known, and had to look it up, and discovered some interesting arguments for and against compulsory voting on the way. What's your view?)

MikeyC

Enrolment is mandatory, voting isn't.

(I hadn't known, and had to look it up, and discovered some interesting arguments for and against compulsory voting on the way. What's your view?)
I don't really have a view. Voting is compulsory in Australia so I've always had to go. I will say that getting your name marked off at voting booths is compulsory, but filling out the ballot paper isn't, so I've been leaving them blank for the last couple of elections.

Feathers

WOW, really interesting thread.

Mikey, you could always vote for Hulk Hogan or something? :)

I do think it's right to vote, and then maybe take the elected accountable? (You can write letters to your MP, saying you supported them but would consider withdrawing your support because of XYZ etc. If enough people get loud, they may take notice.)

I'm really surprised by all these elections worldwide (and wondering who would benefit from that).

Ireland was supposed to be a no-GMO zone but due to a change of government that was a no-go then. I wonder if other important issues might go by 'unnoticed' amidst the turmoil of it all...

There are people online (and elsewhere) who want more 'Direct Democracy' but I don't know how it would work 'in practice'?

What I imagine is something more like open code programming (where people ADD to each other's inputs instead of just quarrelling) or like these forums, where people add opinions, so a picture and some 'best practices' emerge...
(Internet safety/hacking and such would be a concern then though, they already have been a concern for some governments and businesses... Though if voting is held electronically it can be considered a similar liability too.. hm..) Basically people would express position on issues, not on people. And not just in a 'referendum' way, where you can also just say 'yes' or 'no'/for or against... (too little choice and opportunity for input/change of policies etc)
Some sort of combination RL + technology would probably be best... (?) Though some people/corporations could probably try to take advantage of that too, so some 'safeguard features' would be needed...

In just RL 'communication' (or online too, okay), those 'louder' and more 'charismatic' people without sa could 'push' their agendas... (although those might not necessarily be 'better'...)
This could be like a mind-map and 'nodes' would show projections for likely future events/unravellings... (At least that's how I'd imagine it, lol - a simplification of complex issues for the masses, so they can understand it better and can vote on it easier. Cause there are REALLY very many complex issues to decide on, an 'ordinary person' may not see all possible ramifications of decisions... but many people together can see many things..)

Maybe it's just 'science fiction' though, lol. Or is anyone worldwide working on this already, and how? :) Occupy people mentioned something like this, or at least that's how I understood/imagined it... Some of the wishes/statements of Occupy people have been 'torn apart' by some others though (on some forums/sites), so hm? Maybe more brainpower and other views might be needed and welcomed too?

Last edited:

Feathers

I would also like to add, Nathaniel, while I'm very happy you posted these links, and it's good to know more about what's happening 'out there', that the Unelected site seems to promote a wish to end the Federal Reserve (which I don't know enough about to comment properly) and they also seem to promote people with some other possibly 'iffy' concepts/agendas like NC Libertarian Candidate Dr. Mike Beitler NC Libertarian Candidate for Senate Polls 10% | Unelected.org

I am very sceptical of 'libertarian' concepts, it is a wide movement with many 'shades' of beliefs and concepts, as far as I know they are very much for 'free trade' and a minimum of/no regulations, which has also gotten the world in a poor environmental state.
They also stand for some other, mildly said, possibly controversial issues.
From the link above (highlighted by Feathers):
If you’re looking for a candidate who will follow the Constitution, Beitler should have your vote. Beitler would end the American bloodshed overseas by ending the US occupation of Iraq, Afghanistan, and other countries. A foreign policy of interventionism has led to trillions of dollars in debt and the loss of thousands of lives. Dr. Beitler presents the only viable solution to this problem whereas his opponents both favor continuing the endless occupations in countries thousands of miles away, which pose no threat to our national security. Dr. Beitler supports a full audit of the unelected Federal Reserve and would push to abolish it. He would also abolish bureaucratic monstrosities like the IRS and the Department of Education. He would call for a repeal of the 16th Amendment and the abolishment of the income tax, which drains citizens of their wealth and labor.

Unelected.org fully endorses Dr. Beitler in the 2010 North Carolina Senate Race. Please visit Dr. Beitler’s campaign website

I don't know what the Department of Education does, some people online have been calling for an end of 'free education' for kids though, which can be a dangerous concept!! In India, there are some areas with slavery, and some kids are not allowed to go to schools, because people who can read and have an education are less likely to be willing to be slaves.

Also, if this guy would be for an end to income tax, would there be any other taxes for the super-rich, or would the super-rich just get richer? (Or what would the gov and state institutions, such as schools, law courts, police etc live from?)

The Forbes article just quotes Senator's press release, so it depends how biased or unbiased the Senator might be... (There have been biased politicians before.)

This is not to say the news isn't legit or newsworthy, of course it's good that people are informed and educated about what might be happening... It's just good to try to see the background and 'wider picture' too...

On the other hand, it's good to get angry and get inspired and try to change things too (for the better)...

Feathers

Not a whole lot. They get around $70 billion each year to make policies and throw money at things. They don't actually run schools or anything.

Thanks! Very interesting! I googled 'em up (Wikipedia) - Whoa, what do they do with all that money??
It seems to be an ongoing debate - even Ronald Reagan apparently wanted to do away with it, but couldn't?? republicans seem in favor of abolishing it - quoted from Wikpedia: United States Department of Education - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The GOP platform read: The Federal government has no constitutional authority to be involved in school curricula or to control jobs in the market place. This is why we will abolish the Department of Education, end federal meddling in our schools, and promote family choice at all levels of learning.

I'd say just 'family choice' can lead to all sorts of weird and troublesome things though too, so, hm?
But 70$bn yearly (every year?) definitely sounds like a whole lot too much - what do they DO with all that money??

Do the USA have Ministry of education too, or not?

Where I live, almost all parties running in the elections are promising to 'shrink' the gov, and reduce number of ministries, offices and such... It does make one question what will be 'abolished' and how, of course the 'polluters' would like to do away with environmental agencies and such... so it depends how it's done, not just 'what'...

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
I would also like to add, Nathaniel, while I'm very happy you posted these links, and it's good to know more about what's happening 'out there', that the Unelected site seems to promote a wish to end the Federal Reserve (which I don't know enough about to comment properly) and they also seem to promote people with some other possibly 'iffy' concepts/agendas like NC Libertarian Candidate Dr. Mike Beitler NC Libertarian Candidate for Senate Polls 10% | Unelected.org

I am very sceptical of 'libertarian' concepts, it is a wide movement with many 'shades' of beliefs and concepts, as far as I know they are very much for 'free trade' and a minimum of/no regulations, which has also gotten the world in a poor environmental state.

I certainly never meant to imply that I agree with everything on that website, or with all views designated as libertarian. The Koch brothers are freakin' scary.
I don't know what the Department of Education does, some people online have been calling for an end of 'free education' for kids though, which can be a dangerous concept!! In India, there are some areas with slavery, and some kids are not allowed to go to schools, because people who can read and have an education are less likely to be willing to be slaves.

There's a substantial difference between abolishing public education entirely and reducing the role of the federal government in education. The federal government didn't always have so much power over it as it does now. And if you didn't already know, NCLB was disastrous poop--among other bad decisions.