This is not a journal! Or a diary!

Finally off for the weekend and I'm not even on call. On tomorrow's to-do list I have to cut the grass and take my daughter school shopping. That should be interesting, she is as picky about her looks as I am. The wife took her shopping today but they couldn't stay out long because she is so uncomfortable and swelling. I'll be glad when she finally has this baby already, I feel so bad I can't make her comfortable. I do all the housework/dishes/laundry/shopping when I'm home so she don't have to and I feel like I still can't do enough even though she says she can handle it. I feel that it's my job as a spouse to help.

I have to share my good fortune of the day, just have to. My whole crew had to work today and the boy was bragging to Nikki how much he works out and showing off his muscles apparently trying to impress her, I was running a milling machine and silently observing and musing to myself about his behavior. To describe him, he is about 21 or so, not very muscular at all and about 5 foot 7 inches tall and maybe 180 pounds. I must have given off the impression during his boasting that I thought he was lying because he walks up to me and says "I got $50 here that says you can't do 100 push ups." To my credit, without blinking an eye, I say "lay your money on the bench." He does and I clear out a spot on the floor and without saying a word I hit the deck and do 60 push ups probably faster than I ever have, then I did 20 one-arm push ups with my left arm and did the last 20 using only my right arm. He was visibly awestruck. She was too. I stood up straight, grabbed his money and stuck it in my wallet and walked off. The difference between he and I are that I have worked in the trade, picking up 100 pound bars of iron and lifting them into the machines for almost 10 years now and I normally do push ups every day with my son and daughter sitting on my back before I go to work every day so I'm not weak. He should have known he was going to lose money, he has seen me changing in the locker room and knows that my arms are bigger than his legs (I'm 6 inches taller than him and 100 pounds heavier). He'll learn one day not to gamble.

So I got into some poison sumac while cutting some trees down and now it's all over my hands and creeping up my arms. About an hour ago I took the blade of my pocketknife and scraped all the raised bumps until they were bleeding and then poured chlorine bleach all over my arms and hands. Hopefully that will dry it up.

In the midst of my Saturday I made the time to take my daughter to get a new pair of shoes. The old lady took her a couple days ago and she couldn't deal with our girl while shopping, she is so picky about her looks it's as if she is 16 instead of 6. So I took her to town, the same stores she had already been to. No luck. Plenty of shoes but none she liked. After an hour of that I took her to the mall that's 40 miles away. It was a great trip, she forgot her sunglasses at the house so I let her wear my mirrored aviators. I found out she likes one of my favorite bands, The Black Angels and she likes it when I take her places just me and her, she said it herself. At the mall we went to 3 different stores and she probably tried on 30 pairs of shoes before she saw the gray and pink Nike shoes. She ran to them and said "daddy I want these! They're so pretty! Can I have these!?" Ten minutes later we were on our way home with them, even stopped and got her a happy meal on the way. Just as I was tucking her in bed for the night she gives me a big hug and kiss on the cheek and says "I had a lot of fun today with you, mommy ain't as fun as you, daddy, I love going places in your truck, dad, and I love my new shoes too!" I have to say, she made my day. I try to spoil my kids but within reason. I love times like this. :bigsmile:

I hope it's not from the poison sumac?

Well yeah that's part of it. The thing is, me and the old lady aren't speaking right now. Our son has been chewing on his feet for the past couple months (he's three) and a few days ago I told him if I catch him doing it again I was going to spank him. I caught him doing it a while ago so I spanked him. She got mad about it. Frankly, I'm tired of doctoring his feet, he chews on them until they bleed, and I'm tired of making him stand in the corner and explaining to him on his level why he shouldn't do that. So, because I spanked him I'm the bad guy. She does it too but she says more or less that it's ok for her to do it but not me. I don't agree with anyone's double standard, period. I told her all the above and told her the kids are just as much mine as they are hers and I won't stand for any hypocritical nonsense and when she decides to act like an adult we will talk. Then she stomps to our room and goes to bed. I treat both of our kids the same and after months of dealing with him doing this, I figure he deserved a spanking. I'm just irritated that she acts so immature, we are both pushing 30! Thank you for asking though :)

I get called "materialistic" quite a bit by my wife. I find it quite irritating. To me, the whole point of growing up and getting a job was so I could buy man toys. Currently, I found a 1968 RS/SS Camaro that I want, It has a 396 big block, rock crusher 4 speed, and it's black with white stripes, showroom condition - absolutely beautiful car. I found another motorcycle in the newspaper for sale, a 1973 Harley Davidson Shovelhead, dark metallic red with a newly rebuilt engine and transmission and lots of chrome - enough said. And it's time to add a few more guns to my modest collection. I was telling her about all the above and she says "You are so materialistic, you just have to blow money on cars and trucks and guns, grow up!" I figure I'm the only one working and I make a good living and last I checked people only live once. I aim to own all the fun stuff I please because humans aren't promised a tomorrow or a next week. What she doesn't know is I've already talked to the bank president about the car and motorcycle last week, we shall go from there. And there is a gun show coming up in a couple weeks... Who knows what will be in my garage next? Good thing I'm not a millionaire is all I can say. Just because a man wants things in life don't mean he is materialistic.

fx98_03.jpg

The bike is similar to this one

I read on the Fox News website, with much disgust mind you, that the man in Ohio who kidnapped three women, held them hostage for a decade, who repeatedly raped them and killed the illegitimate offspring was finally sentenced to 99 years in prison plus one thousand years. He made a deal with the court to be spared from the death penalty. His words were "I am not a monster". In this particular case I say the man should be burned at the stake like in the days of yore. The sentence he received was a joke in my opinion and lethal injection, firing squad, electric chair, etc. is too painless for this predator. This story greatly sickened me, the good old U.S. of A. could take some capital punishment lessons from the pages of history right about now. I am so appalled I don't even know where to begin so I'll stop here.

Odo

Banned
The thing is, all of the punishments in the world aren't going to change anything... and bringing them back would just set a bad precedent.

I think that 1000 years in prison with no chance of parole is fair... I've read about the supermax prisons and they're basically like living death. If you go into one of those, your mind isn't going to last very long.

The thing is, all of the punishments in the world aren't going to change anything... and bringing them back would just set a bad precedent.

I think that 1000 years in prison with no chance of parole is fair... I've read about the supermax prisons and they're basically like living death. If you go into one of those, your mind isn't going to last very long.

Nothing can change the past, that's certain. But punishment by example might stop similar things in the future. Nobody will bring that punishment back in this era I'm quite certain. I hope he gets what's coming to him...