Things you miss about your childhood

FriendlyShadow

Growing up can be hard sometimes. As a child, you feel like you'll stay that way forever. Or at least, I did. There's so many
things I miss about being a kid. I'll admit it. I miss going to the movie theaters, I miss the playground, I miss drinking soda, I miss bowling, I miss the arcade, I miss having sleepovers, I miss being in school orchestras, I miss my stuffed animals, I miss watching movies like Uptown Girls and The Lion King, I miss playing Kirby, I miss eating Little Debbie Swiss Rolls, and I even miss a few of my teachers.

I know this it's all a part of maturing as you get older and, well I hate to say it but I actually felt happier then. I mean I still did go through moments of depression but I wasn't always sulking like I am now. I wish I could relive my teen years again. Can anyone else relate? Am I alone in this?

Xervello

Growing up can be hard sometimes. As a child, you feel like you'll stay that way forever. Or at least, I did. There's so many
things I miss about being a kid. I'll admit it. I miss going to the movie theaters, I miss the playground, I miss drinking soda, I miss bowling, I miss the arcade, I miss having sleepovers, I miss being in school orchestras, I miss my stuffed animals, I miss watching movies like Uptown Girls and The Lion King, I miss playing Kirby, I miss eating Little Debbie Swiss Rolls, and I even miss a few of my teachers.

I know this it's all a part of maturing as you get older and, well I hate to say it but I actually felt happier then. I mean I still did go through moments of depression but I wasn't always sulking like I am now. I wish I could relive my teen years again. Can anyone else relate? Am I alone in this?

A lot of those things seem doable now. If you're talking about the aura of youth and the frame of mind where the future lies ahead and anything seems possible, I get that. As weird as it might seem for an adult to delight in youthful things, if people are gonna think we're weird, we might as well embrace it and go all in with our perceived weirdness. You only live once. Better to live it happy. Easier said than done, I realize.

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
Playing with my toys. Losing myself for hours, drawing and writing stories. Not being as self-conscious about my creativity. Watching cartoons for an hour before getting ready for school during the week. Though, I don’t miss school that much — aside from a few teachers. Specifically the primary school teacher that inspired me to started playing the guitar when I was 10, even though it took me another 4 years before I actually fully committed to the instrument.

I also miss getting up super early on Saturday mornings so I didn’t miss any of the cartoons (Spider-Man, X-Men, Animaniacs, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles), or a single episode of Mighty Morphin’ Power Rangers. Playing the Sega Megadrive for hours, if not all day on Sundays with my cousin.

Last edited:

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
Oh yes, I forgot about the cartoons! I miss that!

Yeah, the 90s cartoons - and most of the other kids shows from that decade - were great. Good times !

More so because, midway through season 2 of Power Rangers and I think season 3 of X-Men, I got a TV in my bedroom. Just to stop me racing downstairs and hogging the TV on Saturday mornings from half past 7 until 11 o’clock. Cuz the channel hopping between BBC 2 and ITV really irritated my mother and older sister. :LOL:

Thankfully, my family were late of getting Sky Digital, so Fox Kids, Cartoon Network and Disney Channel weren’t an option until the early 2000s. Even then I’d still come home from school and watch cartoons while getting my dinner as I’d always done. And if my cousin was allowed to stay over for the weekend, we’d just sit downstairs and watch Disney cartoons most of the weekend when we couldn’t be bothered playing video games.

LoyalXenite

I miss the stuff like the old shows - especially ones like Rugrats and Ahh Real Monsters, the friends I had and being able to just run around and play all sorts of fun and often ridiculous games, the freedom that only comes with childish glee, the lack of understanding of things like climate change and so the future of the world seemed so promising and wondrous, the confidence I had despite all the shit I was going through, the imagination I had, the innocence and hopefulness... The dreams I had that were later shattered by physics or unfortunate facts of life... The simplicity of life, people that have since died.. well I started this post out positive :LOL:

Phoenixx

I miss having hair on my head, and having none on my body :LOL:
This made me chuckle. :LOL:

I miss not caring about anything. I miss waking up looking forward to the day wondering what I'll watch or what kind of games I'll play. I miss waking up on Sunday mornings to the smell of donuts my mom brought home from the local bakery early that morning. I miss the walks and talks I'd have with my dad. I never stopped asking questions as a kid and he always answered them, never told me I was asking too many. I miss walking barefoot in the sand on summer evenings. I miss taking family vacations, before my parents became miserable and the whole family toxic.

I feel like I have lived two different lives. It's hard explaining this to people, because most just don't get it.