The masks we wear

TheGirlInTheCorner

Anxiety comes naturally to me. We all have to wear different masks to cover up what is really going on inside. People think I'm a serial flirt, this is the mask I wear. What about you guys?

DeadmanWalking

Quite a few actually. But the most important one is my stoic mask or "poker face" to hide how much I really care about something or how much something has affected me.

DeadmanWalking

I wish I could do that. Unless I am flirting (or drunk probably), I am sure everyone can see inside me.

Flirting is usually my way of easing the situation, the people around me, or myself::p:. But, I got my "poker face" by being hit and insulted for crying a lot as a child. I just covered things up so people would stop mistreating me. But I think a better option would be to develop thicker skin without losing your feelings.

Phoenixx

Interesting thread. The "mask" I most often wear is a poker face, sometimes combined with sarcasm. I guess I can see why some people figure I must be rude, sometimes I feel like a moron acting the way I do. Even when I'm overly sarcastic though, I feel like I can't stop, it's kinda weird. Most of the time though I try to keep quiet.

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
Interesting thread. The "mask" I most often wear is a poker face, sometimes combined with sarcasm. I guess I can see why some people figure I must be rude, sometimes I feel like a moron acting the way I do. Even when I'm overly sarcastic though, I feel like I can't stop, it's kinda weird. Most of the time though I try to keep quiet.

Yeah, that describes me too.

Rawz

I'm am not very good at hiding my emotions, when I was having a hard time with depression I just tried not to look too sad when I was at work or just out in public. I wish I was better, I wish I had a lot of control over myself, but I really don't. I am jealous of people that do.

TheGirlInTheCorner

I'm am not very good at hiding my emotions, when I was having a hard time with depression I just tried not to look too sad when I was at work or just out in public. I wish I was better, I wish I had a lot of control over myself, but I really don't. I am jealous of people that do.

I used to try being funny, but I end up the only one laughing. My mum can always tell when I'm trying not to look sad, even when she's a million miles away. I am jealous of the control too and when I try to do it, I end up in risky situations.

JuiceB

I'm normally wearing my 'poker face' most of the time and it gives the impression that I'm mad. But I swear it can be hard to look myself in the mirror sometimes.

TheGirlInTheCorner

Flirting is usually my way of easing the situation, the people around me, or myself::p:. But, I got my "poker face" by being hit and insulted for crying a lot as a child. I just covered things up so people would stop mistreating me. But I think a better option would be to develop thicker skin without losing your feelings.

Sorry to hear that DeadmanWalking. That should never have happened. Thicker skin would be good.

DeadmanWalking

Sorry to hear that DeadmanWalking. That should never have happened. Thicker skin would be good.

Thank you:).

And just try not to let things bother you as much. If you don't like what the other person is saying about you or if they're saying it in a bad way (because we, as people, could all use constructive criticism), then don't give it much thought. Distract your mind with some attention-absorbing.

TheGirlInTheCorner

Thank you:).

And just try not to let things bother you as much. If you don't like what the other person is saying about you or if they're saying it in a bad way (because we, as people, could all use constructive criticism), then don't give it much thought. Distract your mind with some attention-absorbing.

Distracting my mind is all I ever seem to do... Is it any wonder I spend my life looking for things that only exist in books...? ::(: x

DeadmanWalking

Distracting my mind is all I ever seem to do... Is it any wonder I spend my life looking for things that only exist in books...? ::(: x

I guess a better way to put it is to "split your attention". Keep part of your attention span in the real world so you don't "zombify" in front of someone, but, if something you're not comfortable with or something that makes you angry or sad shows itself, put part of your attention on something happy or something that makes you laugh. A sense of humor is also another route you can take; if you can see an unfortunate event as something humorous rather than mortifying or saddening, then the event loses its "negative edge".

Or maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about::eek::! I'm sure someone can arrange this "advice" into something useful.

crazypants

a sad one apparantly i keep being asked what's wrong. it's soooo annoying!!!!

I used to get the "Smile!" command yelled at me from total strangers walking down the street. It always made me mad, because I wasn't actually in a bad mood, but them yelling that at me would always PUT me in a bad mood.

Hey, maybe you could just mind your own business, huh??

Then I learned to put a fake face on. It's annoying that I've got to put a fake, friendly, sociable face on, but I guess it keeps people off my back. :rolleyes:

EscapeArtist

Man, that's horrible. I have the poker face/don't show emotions thing too but it was never so reinforced like that must have reinforced it. Ouch. It's a hard balance to come by, thick skin and keeping your heart out there, but i'm sure it's attainable from either direction.

Everett

Poker face, but it's more of a stoner face because everyone thinks I'm high. Very sarcastic, but sometimes the sarcasm doesn't get through and people think I'm a dick.

Labyrinthine

My mask is false confidence. I end up coming off as annoyingly arrogant, supposedly.
I've been trying to drop the mask and turn up the charm. It's a lot less stressful.

da_illest101

My mask is breaking. People tend to like me more for myself than whatever fakeness I'll come with. I made good progress of stopping bsing around and be myself