The 50 pushup challenge.

WeirdyMcGee

For already strong ones like yourself, 50 one-handed knuckle pushups on hardwood flooring with a cinderblock on your back... or 80 regular pushups.

did 31 for today. i've been pretty much stuck at 30 for the past month but hopefully this thread will push me further.

ouch! one handed knuckle pushups?! XD I doubt I could even do one with my girls arms. My hands would shatter and fall off me!
I'll aim for 80 regular ones. <That'll be tough!

Good work, firewalk! You're improving already! +1 might not seem like something to feel good about but it is am improvement nonetheless~ I'll also try my hardest to get to my goal.

Steve23

I'll take up your challenge too Firewalk! I'm in a similar position where my current limit is in the 30s as well.

WeirdyMcGee

My number went backwards today! XD
I got to 33 and couldn't push it anymore. Today is a low energy day.
I'll try again tomorrow!

DanFC

I do 3 sets of 60 than a set of 80 every couple days, it's one of the my few routines I'm proud of ^_^ I guess I'll just try to raise that number, try to make it 3x80, or raise the number of sets I do.

Edit: Whoops, I didn't know a press-up was the same as a push-up XD Nvm, I'll just go for 100, but I'd have to warm up to it and not as sets, lol

Last edited:

Aussie_Lad

I'm going to give it a go, but it's a big ask for me to do 50. Currently I struggle to do 7 before I collapse onto the floor. My upper body strength has never been great, and I more keen than ever to do something about it because it will benefit me with the course that I am doing at the moment.

JamesSmith

Once upon a time at military school i did 60 consecutive push-ups. I still work on push-ups and I can do about 42 max right now. I've done 50 consecutive about a year ago so I'm know i could do it. I'm just curious, in this challenge:
1. Is there a time limit when you are doing the push-ups?
2. Can you touch the ground with any part of your body besides hands and toes?

I was watching Charles Barkley do push-ups, and omg that was the ugliest, cheating push-up i've seen a guy do. His butt was all the way in the air, which makes doing push-ups a lot easier and doesn't even qualify as a correct push-up. When I was in tae kwon do the women did push-ups w/ their knees on the ground which was even worse than Barkley. My point is that there are ways to cheat on push-ups, so when someone tells you they can do a bunch of push-ups, you can't always assume they really can do as many as they say. This last paragraph is just a vent, I guess I'm kind of angry with the people who try to twist what a real push-up is and make up their own idea of what a push-up is just because it's easier for them. Everyone should be doing push-ups with their backs straight and not touch the ground and should go all the way down and hover over the floor on each rep.

Last edited:

inconspicuous name

When I was in tae kwon do the women did push-ups w/ their knees on the ground which was even worse than Barkley.

having a black belt in tae kwon do myself i've experienced this, however most women have to start off doing push ups on their knees so they can build up the strength to do regular push ups. it's a fact that in general women have a lot less upper body strength than men so that has to be taken into account.

replica

I did the 100 push ups program in 2009, I even recorded my progress in a spreadsheet like I do with all my workouts. I probably should give it another go as I haven't done free weights or pushups since November last year but my training schedule at the moment is a little hectic :(

wrgqpv.jpg

Luke1993

There's no way I'll be able to get to 50 in 30 days lol I can only do three sets of 11 at this time.

JamesSmith

There's no way I'll be able to get to 50 in 30 days lol I can only do three sets of 11 at this time.

Yeah there is. Push-ups are mental just like running is. There is always a wall there and you have to hit that wall every time you do the push-ups and then do as many as you can after you've hit the wall. It's about feeling the pain and still going despite the pain. You must accept that it's going to hurt every time, you can't just give up as soon as you feel the slightest bit of fatigue. Confidence, heart, and hard work are how you do it. The saying "no pain, no gain" is very true when it comes to physical exercise.

Luke1993

Yes I know that, when I first started I could only do them on my knees, but now I have gotten stronger so I can do normal ones! I always go to failure, and am still gaining strength. My post may have come across as being negative, but don't worry I am motivated and my heart is in this! I'm sure I'll reach 50 sometime but not within 30 days.

inconspicuous name

press ups will give you some very basic strength, but they're mostly going to build up endurance in your muscles rather than anything else. if you want to be stronger start using weights.

DanFC

I would use weights but I'm afraid of the gym, it's outdoors :-( Anyways, I got mine up to two sets of 80 and 1 set of 60.

JamesSmith

I would use weights but I'm afraid of the gym, it's outdoors :-( Anyways, I got mine up to two sets of 80 and 1 set of 60.

An outdoor gym? Where do you live, miami beach? Maybe I'm just ignorant because the gyms in my town are indoors.

Anyway, you don't need to go to a gym to lift weights. You can buy weights online or at Wal-Mart or something and then lift in the comfort of your own home.

DanFC

An outdoor gym? Where do you live, miami beach? Maybe I'm just ignorant because the gyms in my town are indoors.

Anyway, you don't need to go to a gym to lift weights. You can buy weights online or at Wal-Mart or something and then lift in the comfort of your own home.

Whoops, my mistake, I meant outside. Anyways, yeah, I have one weight that I still use from walmart, once I have the cash I'm getting one of those bars that you can attach multiple weights to, it'll probably save me money in the long run.

DanFC

How about u do 50 push-ups like us all, but with a clap behind your head between each one ? Or a regular front clap if not possible. :D

Lol, I just tried the clap ones, I stopped at like 4 b/c it makes too much noise as I live on the second floor of my building XD